Road Cycling

Soldato
I am concerned about the wheels, the rim specs are for the newer tubeless rim, but I have a feeling they might be the old version. So I'll have to see what turns up in a couple of days.

720 quid for the frame brand new in the box, 2018 version, but at that price I'll take it.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I wasn’t feeling the Giant Propel, the colour is amazing in the flesh but I just notice the cables everytime I look at it now lol, gonna try get a Propel Disc instead as they are a lot neater just not a fan of the colours of the Disc version. Back to the original plan of new wheels for the Supersix for now. :)

Now the big Question, tan walls or not?

Im not sure if they will make my bike look too busy.

Soldato
Took the plunge and ordered the wheels, Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Wide

Call me mad but I’m going to by a set of Dura Ace 9100 Rotors simply because they look amazing!

Soldato
Cannot confirm if you are allowed to have tan sidewalls without seeing the frame first.
Tan walls is an art form. Often abominated. Such as on a thing like a "gravel bike".... Marketing crud. It's CX or a MTB. Not a mud/gravel/adventure/enduro/frankenmadeuplingoshitebiketomakeyouthinkyouneedone

Soldato
Cannondales usually work well due to the higher top tube having a more classical look!

Xdcx you’d be epically hopeless in a marketing department! It’s almost like you’re saying these bikes all do the same thing..

Soldato
I think it's an 80 man field so anything other than 80th will do me!

Realistically I'd like to finish front of the main bunch, wouldn't have the legs/turn of speed to make the break and even the stragglers from that would be minutes down.
The performance and power you've put into some of those bundy rides you'll do well! Goodluck! :)

Yep for the frame.

On the wheels if they're not TL I'll return them and likely get a set of Lightbicycle rims on either DT 240 hubs or I9 as I have both hub types across my fleet.
Amazing price, kinda making me think my hunt for a Tarmac Disc frameset is a little too specific... Really should broaden it to include frames like the Venge 2019, S3 Disc, Canyon Aeroad CF SL/X, Wilier Cento 10 Pro Disc.

I've always been a DT hub fan but only have 1 of them now in my fleet (internals on an old set of wheels), am still on the lookout for a disc thru axle hub but don't know anything about the I9's. Only really heard about them recently! How has yours been? Which model/age/wheels? Thanks :)

I wasn’t feeling the Giant Propel, the colour is amazing in the flesh but I just notice the cables everytime I look at it now lol, gonna try get a Propel Disc instead as they are a lot neater just not a fan of the colours of the Disc version. Back to the original plan of new wheels for the Supersix for now. :)

Now the big Question, tan walls or not?

Im not sure if they will make my bike look too busy.
Hard to judge how tan walls will look without pictures! Anyone good with Photoshop and can photoshop some on there? To be fair the times I've looked at tans I've always thought they looked best on a frame with a solid primary colour, not too bright. So my Diverge with it's hyper green would probably be a big no-no... :o

I've never really seen the appeal of tan walls. Maybe on a gravel bike, but not on a Supersix!
The bigger the volume tyre the better they look! ;)

Took the plunge and ordered the wheels, Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Wide

Call me mad but I’m going to by a set of Dura Ace 9100 Rotors simply because they look amazing!
Hope it was the Hunt 50 Carbon Aero Disc as I think the 'wide' named ones are only Rim brake! The 50 Carbon Aero Wide (rim) are still 'only' 19mm internal. The 50 Carbon Aero Disc are 21mm internal without being called wide! :D :rolleyes:

The 9100 Rotors look crazy good, they really make the Ultegra RT800 (silver) look ugly - they look too shiny in pictures but I imagine in the flesh they're not as shiny, same with the RT900 I expect.

Cannot confirm if you are allowed to have tan sidewalls without seeing the frame first.
Tan walls is an art form. Often abominated. Such as on a thing like a "gravel bike".... Marketing crud. It's CX or a MTB. Not a mud/gravel/adventure/enduro/frankenmadeuplingoshitebiketomakeyouthinkyouneedone
Pfffft! To be fair I'm half in agreement. But I'm an exception as I use my 'gravel' bike as a comfortable road bike! ;)

But by your same argument there shouldn't be aero road bikes, or lightweight climbing road bikes? :D

Soldato
Xdcx you’d be epically hopeless in a marketing department! It’s almost like you’re saying these bikes all do the same thing..

My actual job. The one where I am meant to do "work" every day of life. As in, at an office and all that jazz.... has seen me spend the past 6 months ripping new bumholes for a "marketing" company the "marketing" department employed services of. I am el anti markateer, cutting through the BS since 2018.

But by your same argument there shouldn't be aero road bikes, or lightweight climbing road bikes? :D

They are all just tarmac bikes. All do exactly same thing. The pidgeonholing is just what Specialized want you to buy into! :D

Soldato
My friend Chris is one of these CX/mud loving gravel riding types. Or caveman to us elegant types.
He was 3rd in the Strathpuffer this year. Finally a podium after years of 4/5/6th's.
Long blog post about the experience here which honestly is worth the read as he's a top lad really :)
https://pbyb.co.uk/strathpuffer-2019/

Soldato
Progressing with the build on my winter hack/commuter which will have a rear rack.

I want to put a central rear light on the rack (an Axiom Journey) but it only has a full bolt + "half bolt" fixing...

RshVhKPl.jpg
QOfYm6al.jpg

All the rear lights I have expect a (near) vertical tube like a seat post or seat stay for mounting. The best idea I've had so far to make a mounting is to get a length of steel or alloy bar and then drill it to get a bolt through the rack. One downside is that as it's a single bolt it would need to be tight to stop the bar rotating though rear lights aren't exactly heavy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bright-M...m-75mm-100mm-Dia-turning-milling/223329564063

If I swap lights around, I could possibly use this Smart fixing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Re...ght-Bracket-BH-650-for-403-rear/262714901399?

Anyone got a better idea?

Soldato
Can anyone help? I'm wondering about getting a new frame - ideally I'd like a carbon disc with internal routing, and - in a perfect, tart's world - seatstays that join the seatpost midway up rather than at the top.

No budget for super-expensive - ideally looking at under a grand...

Soldato
I think you'll be lucky to find anything that meets your criteria for that price that isn't a Chinese frame from the likes of Hong Fu etc.

Maybe a discounted Genesis Datum frameset?

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/genesis-datum-frameset-2018-p43633
Ooo. That's nice.

But yeah, I'm fast coming to the conclusion this frame may not exist...

...and so it might be new bike time!

I'd be moving over a pair of cheap wheels, and a SRAM Rival groupset I've never especially got on with...

and for £1800 I could just get this Ribble with a nice looking frame, a new 105 groupset and slightly better Mavic Askiums...

Ym56SsA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom