Road Cycling

Soldato
I got the Zwift Volcano Circuit x25 achievement today : 64 miles in total in 2 hrs 52 mins.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2109034698

46181728804_6c5e2f8e96_o.jpg
Nice, worth posting it in the Zwift/trainer thread! ;)

Think there's ones for 50 and 100 laps too :D

EDIT: Happy Birthday too! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
New fancy frame acquired at huge discount.
New fancy disc wheels acquired at huge discount.
New 12 speed crankset acquired at big discount.

Now to find the Red HRD brifters I want for a good deal too.
Oops, typo, I meant 11.

I think I'm going to stick with 2x11 SRAM Red mechanical, no desire for electronic shifting on my bicycles and my 12 year old SRAM Force has been flawless - curmudgeon mode engaged.
Cervelo S3 Disc and a set of ENVE SES 3.4's on I9 hubs.
Oooooosh! Have to apologise as hadn't realised your pockets where that deep when looking at off the shelf type bikes before! That's gonna be creeping over the 4.5k marker to build up with groupset etc. At least! :o

Dream build incoming! Very interested on where you found the S3 frame at a good discount, probably the wheels too. Not to mention the prices! Really hope you take some pictures as you build it up for us all to drool over! :D

+kudos for 'curmudgeon' (a word I'd not heard for many moons and had to google!) ;) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I did my first ride last Sunday since November and realised Ive pretty much fully detrained in that 3 months as it nearly killed me just to do a poxy 12 miles. I have booked a cycling tour around the South African cape (in the hope it will kick start my year) and want to get reasonably fit for it. What would you advise the best way to get back some of my fitness? I can only ride Fri, Sat and Sun because I work away, is it a matter of trying two sessions of intervals with an easy endurance effort on the third day or are there any better methods I can follow? Og and my trip is in 6 weeks :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I did my first ride last Sunday since November and realised Ive pretty much fully detrained in that 3 months as it nearly killed me just to do a poxy 12 miles. I have booked a cycling tour around the South African cape (in the hope it will kick start my year) and want to get reasonably fit for it. What would you advise the best way to get back some of my fitness? I can only ride Fri, Sat and Sun because I work away, is it a matter of trying two sessions of intervals with an easy endurance effort on the third day or are there any better methods I can follow? Og and my trip is in 6 weeks :o

Dude, you're in for a tough next 6 weeks, especially only having 3 days in a row available to re-train.

When you work away is there any scope for getting into a gym?

Soldato
Dude, you're in for a tough next 6 weeks, especially only having 3 days in a row available to re-train.

When you work away is there any scope for getting into a gym?

Afraid not as I work a compressed week, im in the office for 12 and a half hours inclusive of lunch. I dont want to get back to where I was as thats not possible, I just want to be able to do 30 to 50 miles a day without it killing me.

Its mad to think I was happy to try and ride Edinburgh to London last year and after the attempt I rested and lost motivation to ride and in that 3 months its almost like Ive never ridden any disatnce before

Soldato
I thought I was was setting my sights high! If it's a long distance thing I'd try and get some big runs in the legs on the Sunday to give a few days recovery. Maybe a a short sharp one on Friday and a low speed spin the Saturday to clear the legs of ****.

I've just entered the Sam Robinson race after sorting out my full license for the year. The second 2/3/4 race I've entered so far, as I said, high hopes hahahaa.

Soldato
Hmmm, strange one to judge without knowing much of your riding or current fitness. But probably best to break it down...

As it's 'only' 3 months since you last did some intensive riding then that's really not that long. Yes you'll have lost much of your top end raw power, alongside some of your real power/Z3 endurance. But your muscles won't have really vanished, so much of the training adoption by them should be much quicker and easier than training from nothing.

With only 3 days (and no idea on your current fitness) I'd say something like an hour of intervals on the first day to load the legs, power work really. Sharp efforts to prime the muscles. Then the second day, long low intensity 'base' type ride where you'll be focussing and working on your endurance (while also recovering from the first day). The final day you could do intervals again, but probably a longer session, less peak and more '20 minute' type efforts. A real load (possibly the biggest of the 3 days) as you have got another 4 days recovery immediately afterwards.

With where you work, I know you have a very long intensive day, but any working time directives should mean you get at least a couple of breaks in that, as well as the lunchtime? Is there any option to compress those together? What kinda facilities? Say if you could take an hour and 15 for 'lunch', but use an hour of that training (taking a bike with you/finding a local swimming pool/gym - leaving 15 minutes for lunch) or even just going for a 20/30 minute run/brisk walk. Basically anything cardio - a couple of times a week you may find that'll help when it comes to the endurance side of things.

Someone more into their training can probably give better advice, but they'll also require more of an idea of where you currently are, but also your timeframe and what you're looking to achieve. But you really are heading into the realms of paid coaching work/plans then too...

I've just entered the Sam Robinson race after sorting out my full license for the year. The second 2/3/4 race I've entered so far, as I said, high hopes hahahaa.
Good man. Aiming for a top 50 place?! :D

A lot cheaper than those prices ;)
Where, how, who, why !? hahaha. #dealhunter ;)

Back
Top Bottom