Road Cycling

Associate
Can anyone help? I'm wondering about getting a new frame - ideally I'd like a carbon disc with internal routing, and - in a perfect, tart's world - seatstays that join the seatpost midway up rather than at the top.

No budget for super-expensive - ideally looking at under a grand...

this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Argon-18-Krypton-XRoad-Disc-Frameset-xs-road-disc-bb86-carbon-frame/183522982734?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20151005190705&meid=4912ada53af54863b88741925063df97&pid=100506&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=183522982734&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

frame is designed for CX/gravel so on the heavier side but for the price....cant ask for more!

if this isnt your size or by the time you see the post and ran out of stock, try merlin:

https://www.merlincycles.com/argon-18-krypton-xroad-disc-frameset-112522.html

Associate
Or if you want something more bling (....as if argon 18 isnt already bling enough...)... there are a few pre-owned Colnago Presitge on ebay.

Soldato
I'd be moving over a pair of cheap wheels, and a SRAM Rival groupset I've never especially got on with...
and for £1800 I could just get this Ribble with a nice looking frame, a new 105 groupset and slightly better Mavic Askiums...

Not sure if its this exact bike but I read a few pages on bikeradar yesterday saying that the paint job and build spec on these new Ribble frames were a little iffy. Sounds like most have had to be returned and the delivery date for these have been pushed back to reflect the quality improvements.

check the reviews out before you commit. it might be nothing but just something to be aware of so you dont get stung.

id youd have told me a few months ago I would have sold my BMC GF02. Sadly ive pimped it up with hydro di2 ready for the classics.

Soldato
Oooo. Like the look of that... Looks only slightly heavier than the Ribble, and offset by the additional cache!

Or if you want something more bling (....as if argon 18 isnt already bling enough...)... there are a few pre-owned Colnago Presitge on ebay.
A bit *too* bling for me (and my abilty!)

Not sure if its this exact bike but I read a few pages on bikeradar yesterday saying that the paint job and build spec on these new Ribble frames were a little iffy. Sounds like most have had to be returned and the delivery date for these have been pushed back to reflect the quality improvements.

check the reviews out before you commit. it might be nothing but just something to be aware of so you dont get stung.

id youd have told me a few months ago I would have sold my BMC GF02. Sadly ive pimped it up with hydro di2 ready for the classics.
Thanks for the heads-up - I'll have a read around. And BMC? Gah! I love BMCs.

Soldato
They are all just tarmac bikes. All do exactly same thing. The pidgeonholing is just what Specialized want you to buy into! :D
Ouch. Surely you mean Road/Race Bikes! :o :p

Progressing with the build on my winter hack/commuter which will have a rear rack.
<snip>
Anyone got a better idea?
See if the specific light(s) you're looking at using have a rack mounting option?

Moon Cateye Niterider Cycliq Specialized

Or something like this (might be exacltly what you're after but very little info on this site)?

https://road.cc/content/forum/249197-why-are-rack-mounted-rear-lights-rubbish

Soldato
<snip>
and for £1800 I could just get this Ribble with a nice looking frame, a new 105 groupset and slightly better Mavic Askiums...

Ym56SsA.jpg

Why that Ribble specifically? To me it seems overpriced by at least £600 (or more).

What are your requirements? Carbon, Disc & Internal routing, costing less than £2000 for a complete bike (many options), or less than £1000 for a frame (not many options)?

Soldato
Amazing price, kinda making me think my hunt for a Tarmac Disc frameset is a little too specific... Really should broaden it to include frames like the Venge 2019, S3 Disc, Canyon Aeroad CF SL/X, Wilier Cento 10 Pro Disc.

I've always been a DT hub fan but only have 1 of them now in my fleet (internals on an old set of wheels), am still on the lookout for a disc thru axle hub but don't know anything about the I9's. Only really heard about them recently! How has yours been? Which model/age/wheels? Thanks
I wasn't tied to anything in particular in my search, I've had a no-brand carbon frame/fork (albeit still very nice) for 11 years and fancied a new road bike. Came close to buying a Synapse but couldn't resist the price I got the Cervelo for.

I've had I9 Torch hubbed wheels I built on my trail bike for ~4 years, my wife has a set of their wheels on her trail bike for a couple of years too. Amazing engagement for mountain biking and a noisy hub to alert hikers. I've got 240 hubs on my DH bike and without the need for high engagement, or noisy freehub on the road I think I'd prefer them if I do have to send the ENVE's back.

Soldato
Why that Ribble specifically? To me it seems overpriced by at least £600 (or more).

What are your requirements? Carbon, Disc & Internal routing, costing less than £2000 for a complete bike (many options), or less than £1000 for a frame (not many options)?
Like the look of the Ribble frame. In terms of budget, just looking but yeah, at that sort of price range currently.

Not a fan of that frame...

Soldato
Beauty, especially in the blue! :)

Like the look of the Ribble frame. In terms of budget, just looking but yeah, at that sort of price range currently.

Not a fan of that frame...
Try to figure out what specifics draw you to the look of the Ribble frame. Not poo'pooing Ribble but they're usually a fairly budget frame (open mold etc), so that build should be much cheaper than it is when you compare it to things like the Canyon. You're just as well looking at the Planet X offerings. They'll be cheaper/similar prices (thinking the RT56, not sure if they do a disc? Carbon version of the London Road?) Then there's Vitus/Viner/Dolan etc, similar builds and quality frames.

Rose could be a good shout too.

I wasn't tied to anything in particular in my search, I've had a no-brand carbon frame/fork (albeit still very nice) for 11 years and fancied a new road bike. Came close to buying a Synapse but couldn't resist the price I got the Cervelo for.

I've had I9 Torch hubbed wheels I built on my trail bike for ~4 years, my wife has a set of their wheels on her trail bike for a couple of years too. Amazing engagement for mountain biking and a noisy hub to alert hikers. I've got 240 hubs on my DH bike and without the need for high engagement, or noisy freehub on the road I think I'd prefer them if I do have to send the ENVE's back.
Good mini review and exactly what I was after, thanks! :)

I'm basically looking for a cheap-but not too cheap 24H 12x142 rear hub to replace a crap one in an AXIS wheelset (cheap Specialized own-brand), which I'll then use for winter/basic trails (gravel!). Had the DT 350 listed with the Hope RS4 but wanted the DT over the Hope as I have more options with endcaps (having 2 of them on the DT and only 1 on the Hope hub - old spacing is non-standard but 12x142 will fit). Not many price drops on the DT350 in the sizing/drilling I want as they're more of a DH/MTB hub. Maybe I need to go back over it and find a deal on the RS4 as they'd certainly be cheaper than an I9 Torch... Equally this on some fairly average off the shelf rims and reusing spokes if I can to keep the costs low. ;)

Soldato
Ouch. Surely you mean Road/Race Bikes! :o :p

See if the specific light(s) you're looking at using have a rack mounting option?

Moon Cateye Niterider Cycliq Specialized

Or something like this (might be exacltly what you're after but very little info on this site)?

https://road.cc/content/forum/249197-why-are-rack-mounted-rear-lights-rubbish

Cheers Roady. I was hoping to use one of the many lights I already have. I'd not seen that M-Part adaptor but Google has turned up other places selling it like SJS which has better pics.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lightin...light-mounting-kit-for-madison-pannier-racks/

Comments on their though that the plastic can be fragile.

Soldato
Comments on their though that the plastic can be fragile.
Wouldn't take much to fabricate your own, as you'd originally thought with the metal you linked to start with!

Piece of old broom handle... Or plastic piping cut to fit. Quite like that, you could use thicker plastic than they have, something made for exterior plumbing will be hard wearing, easy to drill/chop/change and a length of it for a few quid so you can mess around with it to get it just right. Perfect weekend bike DIY project! :D

I ended up using an old 'torch' style bar mount from a cheapy chinese light I bought, mounted it on a side bar of the baby chariot so I could mount a dual front & rear helmet light to it (with the rubber strap) on the side. Super-bodge! Similar to what you're doing but different orientation. I'll snap a pic later as it may give you an idea!

EDIT: Several good suggestions here:
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-district-rack-mounting-anyone-managed-it/
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4902&p=34903&hilit=bracket#p34903

Last edited:
Soldato
Try to figure out what specifics draw you to the look of the Ribble frame. Not poo'pooing Ribble but they're usually a fairly budget frame (open mold etc), so that build should be much cheaper than it is when you compare it to things like the Canyon. You're just as well looking at the Planet X offerings. They'll be cheaper/similar prices (thinking the RT56, not sure if they do a disc? Carbon version of the London Road?) Then there's Vitus/Viner/Dolan etc, similar builds and quality frames.
It's really just what I said - the seatstays joining the seatpost midway up - something a bit quirky...

The Arghon, BMCs, that Ribble - all seem attractive...

Soldato
'Most' newer bikes have the dropped stay setup for AERO GAINZZZZZZ.

I got an Orbea Orca Aero in and it's pretty much a copy of the Canyon Aeroad and most of the big ones have a similar shape like Venge/Foil/Reacto.

Soldato
Trying to decide on tyres for my new Hunt 50's already have nearly new 28mm Corsa G+ Tan wall tyres or i could buy some GP 4000s / 5000s. I've used and like both but not sure if Tan walls will look OK?

I know it sounds daft but after spending so much on wheels I want them to look super nice!

Associate
Oooo. Like the look of that... Looks only slightly heavier than the Ribble, and offset by the additional cache!

A bit *too* bling for me (and my abilty!)

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll have a read around. And BMC? Gah! I love BMCs.
For your budget, i would be very careful when reading online specs and try very hard to look at real user feedback.
Entry level carbon bike has come a long way but there are still some very flexible frames out there.
also some manufacturer claimed weight for unpainted frame which is normally around 200-300g lighter. (Arguably they cant afford to do it for every paitn scheme so they just weighted the unpainted frame....but just something to watch out for)

Aren't dropped seat stays going to remove a good chunk of rear compliance available to the frame?
Yes and no. the theory is that the smaller the triangle the stiff the triangle is and seat stay is more aero. however the "exposed"/unsupported part of the seat tube is now longer than traditional design, so it also adds some comfort. However, the main bit is that for disc brake bikes, the seat stay no longer needs to design for providing stiffness/support to brake caliper mounting, so the carbon/material can now be tuned to much softer construction to compensate the smaller triangle. But of course these are all just theories, the actual execution of each bike is different.

Merida Reacto might be worth looking at too.

dont think Reacto disc brake version frame has dropped within his budget yet. but worth a look on ebay.

Soldato
Trying to decide on tyres for my new Hunt 50's already have nearly new 28mm Corsa G+ Tan wall tyres or i could buy some GP 4000s / 5000s. I've used and like both but not sure if Tan walls will look OK?

Are you considering tubeless? I'd be looking at the GP5000 TL next. I don't think you can go wrong with GP4000s or Corsa G+ though.

My personal favourite for a plush ride are Veloflex Corsa open tubulars (Master is the tan wall version).

Back
Top Bottom