Time to switch to console gaming :)

Caporegime
True, it might not be a replacement for your own high end gaming pc. But if you have a low end pc, it's worth a punt. Definitely don't knock it till you've tried it, I was pretty damn impressed. Just make sure you're nets up to it, like over 100mb d/l at least.

100 Mbits? That's more than most people would have unless you're on Virgin fibre or FTTH. It's supposed to work with 5-25 Mbits.

Associate
100 Mbits? That's more than most people would have unless you're on Virgin fibre or FTTH. It's supposed to work with 5-25 Mbits.

It does. But for example, apart from bad latency, I get 60+ down and 30+ up. The speed test on the app recommended I use a streaming quality of 11mb, I was streaming at 15-20mb okish. Doom was fine, but forza wasn't. The lower the stream quality, the worse(blurry) the picture quality is. So if you want an almost like for like high end gaming experience, you need to be able to stream shadow at 70+mb.

IMHO, if you don't have a beast of a connection, then you might as well build a mid spec pc. My old 280x can still run doom on ultra and their was an obvious difference.

I've still got shadow for the rest of the month, so I'll fiddle about with the settings.

Caporegime
Is that for 1080p or 4K? I can't imagine 1080p would look blurry at 10Mbits with H.265. Even watching Twitch streams at less than that at 1080p doesn't look blurry.

Must be a side effect of mobile connection?

Last edited:
Associate
Is that for 1080p or 4K? I can't imagine 1080p would look blurry at 10Mbits with H.265. Even watching Twitch streams at less than that at 1080p doesn't look blurry.

Quite possibly. Also, I was streaming on h.264, every time I selected 265 the app would crash. Will give it another bash tonight. Well, either way, my latency will still be too high. But I'll see if h265 makes a difference in quality.

Edit:
It is impressive for what it is and I can definitely see stuff like this being the future of gaming. Just wish we had fiber out in the sticks.

Last edited:
Caporegime

regardless a stream will never have the image fidelity or real time info like a gaming pc. i would honestly like to see how it works for online multiplayer. i just cannot see how there is no negligible difference due to the lag involved.

Back
Top Bottom