• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII a win or fail?

Caporegime
Seen quite a few mixed opinions on this new card from forum users and some reviewers liking it and disliking it, so what does everyone here think?

Personally, I am on the fence because it is AMDs fastest gaming card ever and does have good performance. 16GB VRAM is a plus also but noise is meh! It looks a decent 4K card in truth but lower resolutions do kind of make me look at other cards. Price is fair in my opinion but an 8GB variant at £100 cheaper would have been sexy. If I was after a new GPU, would I have jumped on it? Probably not in truth but that doesn't make this a decent card. Overclocking needs looking at and if Roman couldn't do it, something is wrong there. Anyways, a good launch?

Soldato
I was through with Radeon once the media complained of fan control problems with the R7.
Fan control has been an on going problem going as far back as the Fury cards and that needs to be fixed once and for all before I can consider this card.
Wattman need to be able to control the fan speed when in 2d and 3d mode once and for all.

Associate
I'm intrigued to see what they can achieve with the card as the drivers mature and you can properly control the card in the software.

Given how much the documented cost of HBM is contributing towards the unit price I do wonder what sort of cost saving could have been made with GDDR6 and the knock on effect that would have on performance.

Soldato
Seen quite a few mixed opinions on this new card from forum users and some reviewers liking it and disliking it, so what does everyone here think?

Personally, I am on the fence because it is AMDs fastest gaming card ever and does have good performance. 16GB VRAM is a plus also but noise is meh! It looks a decent 4K card in truth but lower resolutions do kind of make me look at other cards. Price is fair in my opinion but an 8GB variant at £100 cheaper would have been sexy. If I was after a new GPU, would I have jumped on it? Probably not in truth but that doesn't make this a decent card. Overclocking needs looking at and if Roman couldn't do it, something is wrong there. Anyways, a good launch?

What happened to your RTX2080Ti?

Caporegime
Win for compute power, fail for gaming at the moment.

Same price and performance as a 2080 yet lacking features and noiser and more power hungry relative to a 2080 desire a die shrink? This is very much a filler card.

Associate
Not feeling compelled to upgrade from my nearly silent Vega64 LC in any way or form.
So while not a win, I don't see it as a loss either as the VII seems better initially received than the Vega.

hux

hux

Soldato
I'm getting the feeling this card was rushed out just to scupper Nvidia.

Amd needs a redesign much like Ryzen, so fingers crossed they are.

Make the 7 a hybrid at least to fix the noise issues.

Soldato
Dont know anything of its performance, the only thing I read is that gibbo confirmed yet again AMD are short supplying a product, just 100 or so units to the UK.

Soldato
AMD are releasing their cards 12 to 18 months behind Nvidia which is making them look bad.

Vega 64 came out way after the 1080, it performs the same and in the same price range. We have the Radeon 7 which does the same with the 2080.

They need to get out there and release something to compared against Nvidia's high end cards and also be cheaper like they were back in the day.

Soldato
I feel their main focus is on CPU's. If someone needs the compute power of the VII then I'm sure it's a decent purchase as a combined workstation/gaming card. For users who are gamers only I think there are better GPU's out there for that, more gaming focused. If someone wants one instead of an NV card, why not I suppose. Just IMO get one around the £649 price.
We know once NV will join the 7nm party when ready (matured) and will take another leap forward.
RT and DLSS are technologies I want so not an option for me.

Soldato
It's a win for me I just not liking the price. £500 is where its at for me pushing towards £600.

The upgrade performance over Vega 64 is very good 30% in most games. It matches in most games with the 2080

Its a better GPU for content creation if that is your thing.

Not sure what the fuss is about fan speed? Just set your own speed? I have seen the GPU is reporting a new GPU tempture method and wattman on default speed is keeping the GPU around 70c lower that noise for 80c GPU temperature simple.

Ill be buying when the price is right.

Soldato
I feel their main focus is on CPU's. If someone needs the compute power of the VII then I'm sure it's a decent purchase as a combined workstation/gaming card. For users who are gamers only I think there are better GPU's out there for that, more gaming focused. If someone wants one instead of an NV card, why not I suppose. Just IMO get one around the £649 price.
We know once NV will join the 7nm party when ready (matured) and will take another leap forward.
RT and DLSS are technologies I want so not an option for me.

Same can be said about RT and DLSS
It seems we not quite really ready for these either. You paying a premium price for features that might not even come.

How long have we been waiting for tomb raider for example, if it just works it should have been here months ago.

Am not reading DLSS will be very hard to add into online games because the AI is struggling to create a better image from random plays.
The reason benchmarks are doing very well is because the predictable.

Listen am all for RT I like it the same for DLSS
But I just don't think games are ready.

Soldato
AMD are releasing their cards 12 to 18 months behind Nvidia which is making them look bad.

Vega 64 came out way after the 1080, it performs the same and in the same price range. We have the Radeon 7 which does the same with the 2080.

They need to get out there and release something to compared against Nvidia's high end cards and also be cheaper like they were back in the day.

Here is my view.
Do we really need to be faster though?
Say the Vega 7 was 10fps faster in every single game vs the 2080 is that really something to shout about?
Let's say the Vega 7 is now 10fps slower in every game would that be called a failure?

My point is the difference between the two GPUs is so little you really wouldn't know the difference between them. Unless you went looking for a GPU feature.

Either way you getting excellent gaming performance.

Soldato
Same can be said about RT and DLSS
It seems we not quite really ready for these either. You paying a premium price for features that might not even come.

How long have we been waiting for tomb raider for example, if it just works it should have been here months ago.

Am not reading DLSS will be very hard to add into online games because the AI is struggling to create a better image from random plays.
The reason benchmarks are doing very well is because the predictable.

Listen am all for RT I like it the same for DLSS
But I just don't think games are ready.
I've tried RT and although it's early days I still think it's a good feature to have now. These NV features will be used more in games as things progress though unlike the non-gaming power the VII offers, which will only be utilised by those who need it for their workload.
At £649 it's not too bad of an option IMO. So, not too far off the raw pace of a 2080 (non-DLSS) but without RT and DLSS. So, £100 less is not too bad (100 less than the FE 2080). As per the Vega 64, the paper specs are pretty strong so it's definitely not a cheapo part to manufacture.
Agree about DLSS but lets hope the crack it in game play. It's supposed to be in BFV soon, so we'll see. I'll take that 25%+ improvement in FPS tho, when it happens, and I think it is a case of when not if :).

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like most gains were made by having higher core clock and insane mem bandwidth with less stream processors than a vega 64. Probably why it's performance relative to other gpus varies game by game.

Caporegime
Here is my view.
Do we really need to be faster though?
Say the Vega 7 was 10fps faster in every single game vs the 2080 is that really something to shout about?
Let's say the Vega 7 is now 10fps slower in every game would that be called a failure?

My point is the difference between the two GPUs is so little you really wouldn't know the difference between them. Unless you went looking for a GPU feature.

Either way you getting excellent gaming performance.

I don;t think the issue is so much the absolute performance , although i think an extra 10FPS might help marketing wise as now the reviews are out the R7 averages 10-15% slower than a 2080 so price-performance comparisons swing in Nvidia's favor.

Really, the big issue is AMD have an entire node advantage, 25% performance boost from that alone, and all they can muster is something 10-1% slower than a 2080 using significantly more power

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/29.html
This graph would be bad enough if AMD were on the same 12/16nm node. Nvidia can do a direct die shrink of Turing on 7nm and gain the same 25%, now The 2080 is 1.45*1.25= 80% higher performance per watt at 1080p with 1.15*1.25 =44% greater performance than the Radeon 7 without making any architecture changes. Or put another way, the 7nm node can offer the same performance at 50% of the power, so the 2080 shrunk to 7nm and clocks kept the same would be 1.45*2.0 = 2.9x greater performance per watt while still being 10-15% faster.

And that ignores the power savings from using HBM2, which are probably another 20-30watts.

From this we can conclude that Navi wont be interesting in the slightest and it will take a miracle for AMD to get anywhere near Nvidia even the generation beyond Navi.

Soldato
I don;t think the issue is so much the absolute performance , although i think an extra 10FPS might help marketing wise as now the reviews are out the R7 averages 10-15% slower than a 2080 so price-performance comparisons swing in Nvidia's favor.

Really, the big issue is AMD have an entire node advantage, 25% performance boost from that alone, and all they can muster is something 10-1% slower than a 2080 using significantly more power

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/29.html
This graph would be bad enough if AMD were on the same 12/16nm node. Nvidia can do a direct die shrink of Turing on 7nm and gain the same 25%, now The 2080 is 1.45*1.25= 80% higher performance per watt at 1080p with 1.15*1.25 =44% greater performance than the Radeon 7 without making any architecture changes. Or put another way, the 7nm node can offer the same performance at 50% of the power, so the 2080 shrunk to 7nm and clocks kept the same would be 1.45*2.0 = 2.9x greater performance per watt while still being 10-15% faster.

And that ignores the power savings from using HBM2, which are probably another 20-30watts.

From this we can conclude that Navi wont be interesting in the slightest and it will take a miracle for AMD to get anywhere near Nvidia even the generation beyond Navi.

Like VEGA stock VEGA 7 uses a lot of power. Undervolt and it seems just like VEGA 64 it gains perforamnce at reduced power. Look at these numbers. Be interesting to hear user feedback.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ao43xl/radeon_vii_insanely_overvolted_undervolting/

Back
Top Bottom