• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Associate
For the price that I paid for my 1080ti almost two years ago I can get a 2080 offering pretty much the same performance (ignoring ray tracing and DLSS) and less VRAM so that's a fail for me. I'm not fussed though, I always skip a generation and the 1080ti is still performing great. I do hope that ray tracing and DLSS do take off though and the next gen offers a decent bump in performance.

Associate
Personally speaking I find the RTX cards to be a win but the jury is still out on the tech. The end of this week will be very telling once we see Metro Exodus. Unlike BFV, it's a game where atmosphere is more important than absolute performance (i.e. it's a competitive shooter where you want every last ounce of framerate) and the Metro environment feels like a natural choice for RTX tech. If it doesn't do well there, it's hard to see it meaning much in this generation of cards.

I'm also on the fence about DLSS. I'm not amazed by its implementation in Final Fantasy and whilst the 3Dmark feature demonstration may look nice, surely a canned benchmark with identical scenes is not a fair test for machine learning - of course it'll do well in the same scenes from the same angles and moving on rails.

Still, the cards are great in traditional performance, even if they do come with a serious price hike. The 1080Ti/TitanX(P)/TitanXp were fantastic cards and even after two years, for news cards to crush that performance is impressive unto itself. The juggernaut rolls on but we're paying more.

Overall: very happy with the cards in traditional workloads; new features remain gimmicks until proven otherwise.

Soldato
It might take time and effort to implement, but if it doesn't really produce an end result that much better looking or performing than simply running it at 1800p, then what is the point?

edit: It would be interesting for those that have a 20 series to run 3dmark Port Royal

1st run - full 4k
2nd run - 4k dlss
3rd run - 1800p

see what the performance figures are
So are we saying that NV and the devs are wasting a load of time and money and we know better - just use 1800P upscaled ? :p
I think we need to give them more credit. While the "initial" tests may appear to be like 1800P upscaled, need to see how this unfolds.
I don't have 3d Mark (too cheap to buy it :p) but from memory I'm sure some are seeing 50% improvement in FPS. Don't quote me on that though, and it is a canned benchmark so probably easier to get high FPS from it.
I'm contrarian on this as many have already been proven wrong already (60 FPS 2080 Ti at 1080P right?) and I think to many are just dying to have a go at the 20 series. Youtubers pull it apart get high views and generate a nice income too!
Want to see the real world implementation myself (in a game) and judge it from there :). Both RT and even DLSS are only just starting to be used too, something many seem to be forgetting. If it appears in BFV and I think it's **** I won't hold back in calling it out as such :p

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
So are we saying that NV and the devs are wasting a load of time and money and we know better - just use 1800P upscaled ? :p
I think we need to give them more credit. While the "initial" tests may appear to be like 1800P upscaled, need to see how this unfolds.
I don't have 3d Mark (too cheap to buy it :p) but from memory I'm sure some are seeing 50% improvement in FPS. Don't quote me on that though, and it is a canned benchmark so probably easier to get high FPS from it.
I'm contrarian on this as many have already been proven wrong already (60 FPS 2080 Ti at 1080P right?) and I think to many are just dying to have a go at the 20 series. Youtubers pull it apart get high views and generate a nice income too!
Want to see the real world implementation myself (in a game) and judge it from there :). Both RT and even DLSS are only just starting to be used too, something many seem to be forgetting. If it appears in BFV and I think it's **** I won't hold back in calling it out as such :p

I'm not saying they are wasting their time, it just feels like DLSS is there because of the performance hit RTX takes on FPS. Proving that RTX tech was released far to early. I also believe Nvidia use DLSS as a marketing term to make it sound all singing and dancing, simply because they would take a pasting if they actually just said, drop the resolution of your games with Ray-tracing on because our hardware isn't actually fast enough to run it at respectable frame rates at higher resolutions yet :p

It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a 20 series in the end. I'm not interested in either BF5 or Metro so they hold no appeal to me, with or without ray tracing. All I was after, was the same performance uplift we saw from 9 series to the 10 series, at roughly the same prices as the outgoing generation, just as it has been for the last few iterations

Soldato
I'm not saying they are wasting their time, it just feels like DLSS is there because of the performance hit RTX takes on FPS. Proving that RTX tech was released far to early. I also believe Nvidia use DLSS as a marketing term to make it sound all singing and dancing, simply because they would take a pasting if they actually just said, drop the resolution of your games with Ray-tracing on because our hardware isn't actually fast enough to run it at respectable frame rates at higher resolutions yet :p

It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a 20 series in the end. I'm not interested in either BF5 or Metro so they hold no appeal to me, with or without ray tracing. All I was after, was the same performance uplift we saw from 9 series to the 10 series, at roughly the same prices as the outgoing generation, just as it has been for the last few iterations
It only proves it if it's fact but it's an opinion :). I get where you are coming from though. I'm interested also in seeing if DLSS can be used without RT in BFV because if it can then the 2070 is likely to as fast or be faster than a 1080 Ti for example if the user decides to not use RT which would also be similar to the case between the 1070 and 980 Ti, hence think DLSS has been planned all along as a feature of the 20 series. Going by your logic we could also say that proves DLSS has nothing to do with RT if it can be used without it.

Agree on the games though. To be honest if I had kept the Titan X I had previously I might have even skipped the current gen. I'm quite happy that I've had a play of BFV however, something I probably wouldn't have bought if I had the old Titan still. I agree with some that skipping the current gen is a pretty good decision if people aren't bothered about RT etc atm
I'll probably pick up Metro when it comes out too, another game I wouldn't have been bothered about if I hadn't bought a 20 series card.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
:D:D:D:D

I wonder how many people would still be moaning about the price if all the features did work day 1.

:rolleyes:

Trust me, it wouldn't matter, there would always be something to hate nvidia with. If rtx was a success it would have been the price, if the price was reasonable it would be the amount of games, if there was games it would be dlss if it wasn't dlss it would have been you can't buy any and so on and so boringly on. Haters gonna hate I'm loving mine

Mobster
Soldato
For the price that I paid for my 1080ti almost two years ago I can get a 2080 offering pretty much the same performance (ignoring ray tracing and DLSS) and less VRAM so that's a fail for me. I'm not fussed though, I always skip a generation and the 1080ti is still performing great. I do hope that ray tracing and DLSS do take off though and the next gen offers a decent bump in performance.

So you get dlss rtx and more memory for the same price and it's a fail?

Why did you buy, you obviously knew you were buying a 'fail' yet you bought it anyway lol

Soldato
So you get dlss rtx and more memory for the same price and it's a fail?

Why did you buy, you obviously knew you were buying a 'fail' yet you bought it anyway lol
I don't think you read his post very well. And yes, the same performance (and less memory, not more) for the same money two years on is a massive fail.

Soldato
Well as I said before for RT to be added in games nvidia will have to pay for the dev time, publishers arent going to approve dev budget for something that like 1-2% of gamers can use.

DLSS seems very underwhelming, it actually is worse than normal upscaling in that it causes shimmering on still motion, and that it can only upscale to 4k.

Soldato
Well as I said before for RT to be added in games nvidia will have to pay for the dev time, publishers arent going to approve dev budget for something that like 1-2% of gamers can use.

DLSS seems very underwhelming, it actually is worse than normal upscaling in that it causes shimmering on still motion, and that it can only upscale to 4k.
It's not only for 4K. A few implementation so far, half-done :), have been for 4K only. NV as part of 2060 marketing have released a chart showing > 60FPS at 1440P (not 4K) in BFV with DLSS.
With RT, some devs are apparently excited to use it. But what you said is exactly why NV couldn't offer a top end non-RT range too. In the next few years probably 50%+ will have RT capable cards.
Just like with RT, DLSS will probably improve too. Do we know the reason for shimmering and under what conditions? I can see how DLSS could potentially make worse any problems already there. Only had one game so far, half-done so lets see is my approach :).

We've gone from many making fun of the price and with an expectation of the 2080 Ti struggling to knock out 60FPS at 1080P based on the first demo, to having a 2060 knocking out > 60FPS at 1440P (yet to be seen but according to an NV chart). Credit where it's due.

Last edited:
Permabanned
We've gone from many making fun of the price and with an expectation of the 2080 Ti struggling to knock out 60FPS at 1080P based on the first demo, to having a 2060 knocking out > 60FPS at 1440P (yet to be seen but according to an NV chart). Credit where it's due.

The problem is that they keep having to lower the detail to get that 60FPS.

Soldato
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...-tracing-deep-dive-presented-by-nvidia/865256

Shadows Of The Tomb Raider will finally have ray tracing enabled in upcoming patch either this month or early March before GDC 2019 on 18-22 March 2019. :D

February and March will be very busy months for me to play ray tracing games, Shadows Of The Tomb Raider will be my 4th ray tracing game.

WIN WIN WIN WIN!!!

giphy.gif

Soldato
I'm on the fence. The pricing is obscene now and at this rate a lot of pc gamers will be priced out the market. If next gen console fully embraces mouse and keyboard as an option, huge numbers will be switching I'd think.

Soldato
The problem is that they keep having to lower the detail to get that 60FPS.
Been using BF5 since RT release was in there and I've noticed an improvement in performance but not any degradation RT quality.If you can do workarounds/quick cheats to improve performance at this early stage where the hardware is not powerful enough, where where users won't even notice the difference during gameplay, you just take that opportunity.
Tessellation wasnt too dissimilar I think? Iit took a while to do it properly from both the GPU hardware and SW side of things. I remember NV being late to the game but announced "Tessellation done properly" when their new tessellation capable cards were released. Maybe AMD could get one over on them this time, "RT done properly" :).

Caporegime
Associate
Got the urge to upgrade, but at these prices it's too easily resisted. I just cant stomach it, especially with my 1070ti performing well.

15 years ago when I still lived at home I used to always have the latest and greatest. It's probably taken me the next 15 years of proper adult living to get back to the point of having similar if not greater levels of disposable income, but the high end has gone into the stratosphere in the meantime.

Fail from me, purely based on price.

Back
Top Bottom