Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Committed now, signed up to subscription for two bags of Kaffee flavour a month.

Definitely worthwhile, 2 scoops for breakfast, 2 for afternoon snack, get all the protein I need and proper food before and after climbing sessions.

Soldato
I’m still on Huel for breakfast and I actually like it :o

I’ve sertled on 1 scoop of vanilla, 2 scoops of unsweetened and some frozen fruit - either blueberries or strawberries and made in a blender and left in the fridge overnight.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m still on Huel for breakfast and I actually like it :o

I’ve sertled on 1 scoop of vanilla, 2 scoops of unsweetened and some frozen fruit - either blueberries or strawberries and made in a blender and left in the fridge overnight.
I'd remove the mention of referral and link, it's against the rules.

Soldato
Meh! I used Ross's referral above, it shouldn't matter. Perhaps it best if we ask for someone to send us a referral? Help one another. The hard and fast no referral rule is a bummer.

Anyway, been on the huel over a week now and going well. I don't use it every single day, just usually when at work and unable to prep food. Coffee is OK, except less coffee flavoured than I expected. Berry is nice. I top them up with some seed sprinkles I got from aldi.

Soldato
It seems a newer version of the huel bars is out. v2 was a big improvement over v1(which i found to be tasteless and dry) and now the v3 version is again a big improvement especially in texture and taste over v2.

I'm not sure how the different versions compare nutritionally and what changes they have made but i would now recommend them if you find the powder is not convenient enough. It goes without saying this is still a meal replacement bar so don't expect to be on par with a fridge cooled Mars bar(yes, the temperature is important :D) in the taste department but I did enjoy eating one just now.

I wasn't even aware there was an updated recipie out as i only started a subscription around a month ago for the v2 variant. I had one yesterday and was surprised how nice it tasted but didn't think anything of it. I took a bite out of one today and it tasted even better than yesterday so i knew it wasn't a coincidence, that was when i checked the back of the packet.

Soldato
I recently started a sub to Huel so here are my initial observations after a week of 1 meal a day.

I don't like Huel with water alone however much I mix.
Chilling definitely improves the flavour and texture for me.
I don't like more than ~500 ml so will add liquid to suit.
I'm happy with two scoops and a banana for example to reach my desired consistency.
I've tried a blend of liquids but rather than complicate I'll stick to a single fluid.
I Like milk (SS) but I don't want to drink more milk than I do currently.
So I'm currently mixing unsweetened Almond milk (350-400 ml) which doesn't affect flavour much.
I haven't tried Soy milk but don't expect to be much different to the Almond.
No reaction for me with only 1 meal a day replacement but I was already on a high fibre diet anyway.

I may try a flavoured variety on occasion but will mostly stick to unflavoured or Vanilla and add my own additions. I don't cook for myself much so having one meal a day that's easy to prepare is a boon for me. Even better if it's for work.

Soldato
I generally put 350ml water in a bottle and add 2 scoops of berry flavoured or vanilla. Shake and leave on the fridge for a bit and then I find it nice not just acceptable but I enjoy it.

Soldato
I have two bags of coffee flavour sub now. Two scoops in 400ml water in the fridge overnight, it's really good having a quick and easy protein-rich breakfast like that. Tastes nice too, once it's mixed overnight.

I have another two scoops in 400ml water around 4:30pm to fill the gap between lunch and dinner.

I think the biggest change to stop the disgusting gas was a) not using the vanilla flavour, and b) letting it sit in the fridge overnight so it's not full of air bubbles.

Associate
I eat one meal a day and incorporate one Huel shake a day into that.

I use it almost like a desert, with 1 scoop unflavoured plus either 1 scoop of vanilla or mint choc, plus a banana. Blended up and left overnight is just delicious. Sometimes add a tsp of raw cacao or some ginger.

Soldato
I've recently bought some new vanilla along with a flavour sachet pack.
I think it's quite nice with a little sprinkle of the strawberry flavour it's like a cross between porridge and milkshake.
Can see me buying more.
Usualy about 2.5 scoops per 'meal'

Usage is lunch replacement to stop me wanting to buy expensive and unhealthy burgers sandwiches or sausage and chips etc.
I still cheat and buy junk food once or twice a week but whatever, I've already been kinda dieting and lost 5 kilos which is pretty much my goal complete and huel is a decent cheaper alternative to a prepacked £3.50 chicken salad from tesco express, which are soulless and uninspiring... and apparently more nutritionally complete..

I approve of huel :)
One thing I will say is I hate sweetener and prefer a lower amount of real sugar.
The first day I really thought I wouldn't get on with it due to this.
For example I don't like diet coke or sweetener in coffee
However after a few days, I genuinely couldn't taste that sweetener taste any more. I guess I got used to it pretty quick.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my 2nd month now and I have half bag left so will endeavour to try a shake everyday now rather than use it just at work. I was using just AL milk but will water that down as it's kinda expensive for what it is.

I've also recruited a colleague who popped in the office, tried it, liked it and said that could useful for when he's travelling lecturing so started a subscription straight away with my code of course!

Associate
About to try Huel for the first time after much deliberation.

Curious, could I purchase using the subscribe monthly method (and save ~£5) then immediately cancel the subscription after purchasing rather than doing a one-off purchase?

Back
Top Bottom