Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Yeah, I understand that. It would just be nice to have powdered meals that are perhaps more similar to conventional lunch time/dinner time meals. That's all.
What, you mean like a powdered sunday roast. Or powdered salad. Just blend your meals if that's what you want.

Mmm bacon double cheeseburger milkshake, yummy.

Soldato
Yeah, I understand that. It would just be nice to have powdered meals that are perhaps more similar to conventional lunch time/dinner time meals. That's all.

They do exist (products like Exante), but they are usually whey based, so if you can't drink a load of milk products, you can't have them. They do savoury soups, noodles, eggs, chillies, etc as well as the usual sweeter shakes. Put hot water in them or zap them in the microwave.

You can cook with the unsweetened Huel, but then you lose the convenience of just mixing it up into a drink.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool. I will check it out. Just been doing some research online and found Feed. They have quite a few savoury recipes. Seems more similar to Huel than Exante as their products are also vegan.

I forgot the name of your bot I reported the other day...say hi to the folks at Feed :)

Soldato
Cool. I will check it out. Just been doing some research online and found Feed. They have quite a few savoury recipes. Seems more similar to Huel than Exante as their products are also vegan.

Exante does do a vegan range, but it is more limited than their non-vegan (which is much more extensive than either Feed or Huel in terms of flavours/textures). While Feed do a few savoury flavours, it just seems to be two or three veggie flavoured shakes compared to Exante's actual meals that are not just shakes. If I wasn't lactose intolerant, I'd quite like to try those as there are a lot of savoury meals, and it's just more variety to flavour and texture than what you get with a Huel shake. The wife uses Exante at work when she wants to keep her calories down (ie not skip meals or eat junk), and they do look rather tasty. A lot of the Exante meals are hot, which is a thing that I miss most when having a cold shake like Huel.

Edit: Feed also look like they are using a lot of single use plastic bottles. I'm not sure that should be supported when there are so many alternatives.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suppose you could buy unflavoured huel which will be very bland and add seasoning or spices to it.

I guess that's why they do the unfalvored version, so you can do what you want.

That said the new vanilla is hardly sweet tasting to my pallet.. The closest thing I could approximate it too is plain porridge with a hint of vanilla, I find that fine for me. Slight sweetness but not sweet as such.

The original vanilla is much sweeter by all accounts but I've not tried it.

Soldato
They've released a chocolate Huel! Anyone bought it yet? I'll get a bag in my next batch.

If it's the same as their sampler/flavourings, I thought the chocolate was better than the chocolate-mint one. But if you want chocolate, it's not difficult to throw in some chocolate or chocolate powder into the vanilla or unflavoured and blend it up yourself.

Associate
does Huel work well for weight loss? Could someone PM me a code if poss :)
It's not marketed as a weight loss drink, however it can help you in feeling fuller for longer so that you don't feel the need to snack as much. You also know exactly (or more precisely) how many calories are in each drink so you can track a bit easier.

Soldato
I've been ummming and ahhhing about Huel for ages, until just now when I finally bit the bullet and ordered.

I'll just be using it for lunch at work, so once a day. I'm not lazy at all with food, and have a good made breakfast and dinner each day. I was just intrigued about if I could get away with it for lunch.
I do a lot of exercise as I'm training for half iron mans at the moment, so I'll be intrigued if will be sufficient (along with some other healthy snacks during the day) to keep me going.
Any tips for a Huel virgin would be great!
(I'm not sure if it's next day delivery or not, so might be starting tomorrow!)

Soldato
Well
I've been ummming and ahhhing about Huel for ages, until just now when I finally bit the bullet and ordered.

I'll just be using it for lunch at work, so once a day. I'm not lazy at all with food, and have a good made breakfast and dinner each day. I was just intrigued about if I could get away with it for lunch.
I do a lot of exercise as I'm training for half iron mans at the moment, so I'll be intrigued if will be sufficient (along with some other healthy snacks during the day) to keep me going.
Any tips for a Huel virgin would be great!
(I'm not sure if it's next day delivery or not, so might be starting tomorrow!)

There's not much to it really one scoop is about 150 calories IIRC, so 2 scoops for a light lunch, or 3 for a bigger lunch or however many scoops to fit in with your aims/training.

Just add water to your desired thickness and you've got a perfectly balanced snack/meal that you can calculate easily for calorie deficit or gain..

Soldato
Well that was weird! My delivery turned up today, but two boxes. Ok.....maybe they send each flavour in different boxes for some weird reason. Opened them up and found one box correct, but the other had one of my flavours and an incorrect one. Even t-shirt was XXL, which I was even more puzzled about.
Turns out another chap at work is starting with Huel too, and the other box was his delivery! What are the chances!

As above really.....just having 3 scoops with water for lunch. Unfortunately it was delivered after lunch today, so trying it tomorrow.

Soldato
So my findings after losing my Huel virginity today......

I mixed 3 scoops of vanilla in the morning and left it in the fridge (read it's much better for consistency doing this).
Initial taste impressions were very good actually! I tastes very similar to a morning breakfast smoothie I often make (oats, vanilla whey, banana and bits). So it's sort of like an oaty vanilla why drink. I often found myself chewing it for some reason, but that might be me trying to tell my brain I am eating lunch!
I tried to take my time and drink it over 10-15 minutes, and it went down very well.
I'm aware that this portion is 'only' 450 calories or so. I would probably have a slightly bigger lunch than this, so I'm a bit worried that I still feel a bit hungry, but I'm sure it would be no different to having a 'normal' lunch of this size (chicken breast, rice and salad etc).

The convenience is a big factor too. I am by NO means lazy when it comes to food, as I'm training for an iron man, I strongly believe if you put crap food in you, you get crap performance out. But tomorrow for example I'm open lake swimming for a couple of hours. Now, instead of having to prepare something to eat when I get home, I can just pre mix some Huel and have that in the car on the drive home as my lunch.

The plan so far is to have it for lunch every work day, then maybe step it up to 2 meals on some days. We'll see.

No flatulence so far either! :D

Soldato
Just water. You can drink is straight away but it's much better if you can leave it to sit for 30 mins at least. I usually leave it overnight or several hours.

Plus if you chow it down straight away you'll be eating lots of air bubbles that'll have to come out later :(

Back
Top Bottom