• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
Untitled.png
That looks almost like 720p vs 480p...

Associate
Every day of this hilarity is another day closer to the next series of cards.

..that will have RTX and DLSS.

The tech isn't a fail, it's just a trade off between fps and quality. It's something that can be turned off, its not like its forced on and can't be disabled - that would be a failure. It's down to how the tech is implemented in a game. I recently got a 1070 and played Deus Ex Mankind Divided and had to tweak some things down in the options to get smooth gameplay. That's not a new concept, it happens a lot, tweak down to improve fps or push the slider to max and take a fps hit. DLSS =! a miracle :) I'm sorry if you were expecting one.

Mobster
Soldato
Who bought a 20xx card thinking "ooh, this DLSS looks like a game changer, it's properly made up my mind and forced me buy the card"? I reckon most people saw the fps graphs in the reviews and bought the cards on that basis. Or in some cases thought "An nvidia card. Here, have my money."

I'm absolutely, an 'nVidia card, have my money'. In a capitalist way, that's my choice. Generally the people that say what you said, are the ones that 'wish they had the money to throw at it' but unfortunately employing stupid people in decent paid jobs dont go hand in hand for them.

Personally, I bought my card on it being the fastest and was very interested in RTX. Did I just flush £1300 down the toilet ? Absolutely, but I'll learn and will take a more cautious approach next time.

Soldato
Playing Battlefield V here @ 4k with RTX /DLLS enabled with high preset settings and getting a locked 60fps and i think it looks good. i cant see any obvious blurring but maybe at lower resolutions it more pronounced ?

I don't agree that DLSS is a fail like in the hardware unboxed video its will improve over time.

Soldato
I don't see how it can improve over time. Maybe in benchmarks where your getting the exact same sequence on every run, but not in a game. It's always going to be blurry vs native.

Mobster
Soldato
Playing Battlefield V here @ 4k with RTX /DLLS enabled with high preset settings and getting a locked 60fps and i think it looks good. i cant see any obvious blurring but maybe at lower resolutions it more pronounced ?

I don't agree that DLSS is a fail like in the hardware unboxed video its will improve over time.

Take a screenshot, then turn it off and take another screenshot, then compare.

Soldato

It's a fail, and the unboxed vid compared dlss 4k, still blurry.

Soldato
Hardware unboxed did not like DLSS and some of the screenshots were bad with DLSS.

I am not sure what Nvidia were thinking launching those features so soon, unless they truly believe they can do no wrong and their fans will buy anything and be happy.

Associate
I don't see how it can improve over time. Maybe in benchmarks where your getting the exact same sequence on every run, but not in a game. It's always going to be blurry vs native.
It's AI based, the more training it receives the better it will get. We are in the early days right now, but you have to start somewhere or things will never progress.

Soldato
At this point I don't know whats worse DLSS or the people that tried to defend it :D buh buh the deeeeeep learning algorithmzz! Trained data will only work well at one specific scenario.

Associate
A benchmark run will always give good results. The reason is because the benchmark is the same run every time, so the AI can get the best image possible. BF5 or Metro is a different story. Now the AI needs to get a live game recreated.

This is in the game itself, not a benchmark.

Soldato
Deep learning is one of those marketing buzz phrases which means absolutely nothing. "Hey guys, let's add in some experimental chaff and call it Higher Level Cognisance Super Augmented Algorithm. It does nothing, but it means we can add £600 onto the base price of a 3Gb GPU."

Associate
Not sure if anyone else has seen this Q&A session with Andrew Edelsten, technical director of deep learning at NVIDIA: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

It clarifies some of the questions around how DLSS works, but there's an interesting point here:

Q: How does DLSS work?

A: The DLSS team first extracts many aliased frames from the target game, and then for each one we generate a matching “perfect frame” using either super-sampling or accumulation rendering. These paired frames are fed to NVIDIA’s supercomputer. The supercomputer trains the DLSS model to recognize aliased inputs and generate high quality anti-aliased images that match the “perfect frame” as closely as possible. We then repeat the process, but this time we train the model to generate additional pixels rather than applying AA. This has the effect of increasing the resolution of the input. Combining both techniques enables the GPU to render the full monitor resolution at higher frame rates.

Based on that, it sounds like NVIDIA has to run the game through their 'supercomputer' to generate whatever dataset is required for the tensor cores to do their job.

If that's the case, it sounds as if though there's likely going to be some kind of submissions process for developers to have their game 'trained'. If this proves to be the case, will this have an impact on the uptake of DLSS in future titles?

Back
Top Bottom