• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
: Ray tracing has two quality settings: high and ultra. Ultra setting traces up to one ray per pixel, with all the denoising and accumulation running in full. The high setting traces up to 0.5 rays per pixel, essentially in a checkerboard pattern, and one of the denoising passes runs as checkerboard.

At Gamescom it was mentioned that the ray tracing for global illumination is done at three rays per pixel, so there have been some big changes then?
So, for Gamescom we had three rays. After Gamescom, we rebuilt everything with the focus on high quality denoising and temporal accumulation of ray data across multiple frames. We have a specifically crafted "denoising" TAA at the end of the pipeline, because stochastic techniques will be noisy by nature.

A lot of work, ideas and tricks were implemented to make it real-time. It was a multi-people and even multi-company effort with Nvidia's cooperation.

Interesting interview here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-metro-exodus-tech-interview

On the one hand, some things sound great, like how they believe next-gen consoles could do some RT themselves. On the other, that it requires such a concerted effort to get it implemented in a game means it's going to be difficult for games in general to do the same, at least for a while still. Truly, it's looking more and more like RTX's start is going to really be with the next-gen GPUs, with Turing being more of an appetiser.

Associate
Some terrible gouging going on when rtx2080ti lightning costs £400 more here than competitors (with stock), £540 more (without stock). Apart from the odd deal OCUK doesn't seem very competitive anymore. Suppose you're not forced to buy anything. U use to be able to get a 4870x2 for less than £400 on release, what happened...

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually the excuse is they don’t have many in stock and so they price them high to discourage people from buying them. Better that than disappointing lots of customers due to inability to supply. Always thinking of the customer first. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Usually the excuse is they don’t have many in stock and so they price them high to discourage people from buying them. Better that than disappointing lots of customers due to inability to supply. Always thinking of the customer first. :rolleyes:

See the strix is £120 off, they had it at £1590 for a few days now its £1470 so £120 saving....They're probably still making £200+on each of these they sell.

Soldato
OP
Imo RTX resembles DX12/Vulkan in terms of coding, promising? results but no one can be arsed with the hassle.:(
Do you, as I, believe that RTX tech will save you devs so much work farther along and look absolutely spanking?

Cloud Imperium's Ben Parry said:
Not in the slightest. I expect, if we use it, it'll be a massive headache and time-sink but might give us some subtle improvements in looks or performance if we get it right.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/rtx

Star Citizen and RTX?

https://bitorok.com/2019/02/04/star-citizen-and-rtx/

Caporegime
I just noticed they now have the RTX2080ti for up to £1,700 and £2,000, Asus & lightening respectively. Lost the will to live in expecting a turn around with the ludicrous prices, their getting worse. In what world is pretty much the exact same product that can cost £1,050 (already stupid price tag) charging £700-900 more for more or less the same dam thing! A premium price yes but how much more??? Preying on the mentally vulnerable people. Should be some back ground checks before any of these can be sold legally.

Bring out the new consoles already with better mouse & keyboard support so i can enjoy my fps & give us this ridiculous milking market

P.S. And clearly i think its a fail. Just like AMD effort. Both terrible. WTF happened to the pricing structure.

Brilliant pricing isn't it? The strix is meant to be £1300 so that's £400 pure profit for ocuk should anyone be gullible enough to buy it at that price. It started off at £1400 when it was a pre-order item now they have stock that rockets to £1700. :rolleyes:

Associate
Brilliant pricing isn't it? The strix is meant to be £1300 so that's £400 pure profit for ocuk should anyone be gullible enough to buy it at that price. It started off at £1400 when it was a pre-order item now they have stock that rockets to £1700. :rolleyes:

The lightning now out of stock and £500 cheaper! (Do they actually allow pre order at these out of stock prices or is it just to get attention?) Asus COD dropped £170 to in an instant and in stock so least that going in right direction. Some sucker paying £2000 tho, Shocking! LOL :)

Caporegime
The lightning now out of stock and £500 cheaper! (Do they actually allow pre order at these out of stock prices or is it just to get attention?) Asus COD dropped £170 to in an instant and in stock so least that going in right direction. Some sucker paying £2000 tho, Shocking! LOL :)

I'm honestly sick and tired of it, every high end GPU release it's the same story with "limited supply" leading to price hikes. Retailers are practically salivating when it comes to GPU launches as they know they can tack on whatever they want and some mug will pay it.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm honestly sick and tired of it, every high end GPU release it's the same story with "limited supply" leading to price hikes. Retailers are practicing salivating when it comes to GPU launches as they know they can tack on whatever they want and some mug will pay it.

Nail on the head with this. Hope the **** falls out of the market to be honest.

Soldato
OP
I'm honestly sick and tired of it, every high end GPU release it's thRetailers are practicing salivating when it comes to GPU launches as they know they can tack on whatever they want and some mug will pay it.

About 100 grands worth of sales in the ti owners thread, plenty people that money is of no concern, that's why they do it, it'll only get worse before it gets better if indeed it ever does.

However drip feeding isn't lack of stock, it's strategy to keep the pricing structure sky high.

Honestly hope the bubble bursts and the next console anhialates PC pricing-I really do.

Caporegime
About 100 grands worth of sales in the ti owners thread, plenty people that money is of no concern, that's why they do it, it'll only get worse before it gets better if indeed it ever does.

However drip feeding isn't lack of stock, it's strategy to keep the pricing structure sky high.

Honestly hope the bubble bursts and the next console anhialates PC pricing-I really do.

Those 2 lightning cards are gone as well, £2k a pop for a card in stock elsewhere for £400 cheaper.
Wonder how much ocuk have made in pure profit from rtx sales, bound to be a large chunk of change considering they were hiking prices from day 1.

Permabanned

Well I have seen one developer hint at something very special when all the buzz was DXR within RTX and now a second suggest that DXR done through compute should be doable on next gen consoles. perhaps this was Nvidia's last bubble?

Caporegime
Well I have seen one developer hint at something very special when all the buzz was DXR within RTX and now a second suggest that DXR done through compute should be doable on next gen consoles. perhaps this was Nvidia's last bubble?

I seen that on eurogamer a game dev hinting that the next consoles could possibly do raytracing. Be interesting to see how that pans out. Colour me very skeptical.

Soldato
OP
Those 2 lightning cards are gone as well, £2k a pop for a card in stock elsewhere for £400 cheaper.
Wonder how much ocuk have made in pure profit from rtx sales, bound to be a large chunk of change considering they were hiking prices from day 1.

Well I bought my Zotac 1070 Extreme about 2 weeks after launch, it cost £409 from a competitor, here it was something like £580, and gibbo kept blaming the dollar, so why did the competitors price only fluctuate +-~£20 when Ocuk kept them constant at ~£580?

Because OcUK has no conscience on ripping of their customers, it's a far far cry from their 'customer is king' catchprase from a few years back!:o

Soldato
OP

I seen that on eurogamer a game dev hinting that the next consoles could possibly do raytracing. Be interesting to see how that pans out. Colour me very skeptical.

Metro dev said RT works on any DX12 capable hardware(obviously higher end), it can be done through compute.

So if the proposed PS5 specs are anywhere near close, I'd be very surprised if it cant deliver a greater gaming experience for £600 total outlay over a 2060 that can only deliver low RTX@1080p

Caporegime
Well I bought my Zotac 1070 Extreme about 2 weeks after launch, it cost £409 from a competitor, here it was something like £580, and gibbo kept blaming the dollar, so why did the competitors price only fluctuate +-~£20 when Ocuk kept them constant at ~£580?

Because OcUK has no conscience on ripping of their customers, it's a far far cry from their 'customer is king' catchprase from a few years back!:o

Same with the rtx series, competitors had the palit TI version in stock for over £200 cheaper than what it was being sold for on here. And they all get them from the same suppliers more than likely, apparently their dollar is somehow always worth less.

On just about every ti rtx card in stock here you can find it elsewhere in stock for much cheaper.

Soldato
The whole point of RTX is it makes Global Illumination much easier and far more realistic without having to complex hacks that are also extremely computationally expensive.

The fact t that global illumi action was restricted to RTX is hardly a shock at all, that is exactly toy what it is designed for.
You are such an apologist. Industry standard lighting effects are disabled to turned down if you aren't running RTX and you can't even bring yourself to criticise that.

Soldato
Same with the rtx series, competitors had the palit TI version in stock for over £200 cheaper than what it was being sold for on here. And they all get them from the same suppliers more than likely, apparently their dollar is somehow always worth less.

On just about every ti rtx card in stock here you can find it elsewhere in stock for much cheaper.
Gibbo has an aversion to the truth. He constantly claims they operate on pretty much single digit margins to justify these prices, which is just complete BS.

Caporegime
Gibbo has an aversion to the truth. He constantly claims they operate on pretty much single digit margins to justify these prices, which is just complete BS.

Their single digit margins have substantially increased to say the least. They're making easily 3 digits on a lot of the 2080ti cards. MSRP on the ti strix is around £1300, yet they're flogging it for near £1600.

Back
Top Bottom