Too white, Too Straight.

Associate
Identity politics has an awful lot to answer for. So much so that I've now decided that if anything of this nature crops up eg political statements or actions I don't agree with I make a stand. Whether that's a phone call to the school because a teacher has made a comment in a session comparing Trump and Hitler to a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds to warn them that this should not be happening.

I've got to the same stage now myself. My 12 year old niece came home from school a few weeks back and said that her history teacher told her that the theres no such thing as a British culture and the only reason Africa and India were poor and under developed is because the British enslaved the population and stole all of their wealth and innovations. To say I wasn't happy is an understatement.

Caporegime
but how many people up and down the country are being impacted by such policy without knowing and/or taking it to court? if we want to compete with the rest of the world economically we need to fill vacancies with those most qualified for the jobs not to meet far left, group identity obsessed, ideological quotas. The leftists shreek about Brexit impacting the UK economy but what impact will not choosing the best person for a given job have long term when it becomes more widespread? I'm guessing that the left want 50% representation with everything so 50% of the future workforce for any given business may potentially be 2nd, 3rd or even 10th best picks just because they met the right ethnic or sexual orientation criteria. What if those people discriminated against then go to work in China or some other country that only employs people based on merit?

It reminds me of when I was at school playing sports and teams would always be picked one by one by the team captains, naturally the captains pick the best people/players first because they want to succeed/win. Obviously as a country we don't.

No you picked your friends like literally everyone does in business in this wretched anti-meritocratic hole.

Soldato
but how many people up and down the country are being impacted by such policy without knowing and/or taking it to court? if we want to compete with the rest of the world economically we need to fill vacancies with those most qualified for the jobs not to meet far left, group identity obsessed, ideological quotas. The leftists shreek about Brexit impacting the UK economy but what impact will not choosing the best person for a given job have long term when it becomes more widespread? I'm guessing that the left want 50% representation with everything so 50% of the future workforce for any given business may potentially be 2nd, 3rd or even 10th best picks just because they met the right ethnic or sexual orientation criteria. What if those people discriminated against then go to work in China or some other country that only employs people based on merit?

It reminds me of when I was at school playing sports and teams would always be picked one by one by the team captains, naturally the captains pick the best people/players first because they want to succeed/win. Obviously as a country we don't.

Pretty much this, it would be like 2 people apply for the job of Finance Minister in the UK, one is a highly qualified economist with years of experience and a proven track record, but they are a white male, the other candidate is Diane Abbot, they give her the job because's she meets the ethnic criteria.

Well that would work out well for us wouldn't it.

Soldato
No you picked your friends like literally everyone does in business in this wretched anti-meritocratic hole.

If you're smart you'll understand that at work there's a social element to progressing, you need to network and be likeable, but doing that probably means you're smart and will be good at jobs regardless as you'll be able to work in a team and understand social dynamics.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much this, it would be like 2 people apply for the job of Finance Minister in the UK, one is a highly qualified economist with years of experience and a proven track record, but they are a white male, the other candidate is Diane Abbot, they give her the job because's she meets the ethnic criteria.

Well that would work out well for us wouldn't it.
Jesus. lets hope this never happens.

Soldato
I've got to the same stage now myself. My 12 year old niece came home from school a few weeks back and said that her history teacher told her that the theres no such thing as a British culture and the only reason Africa and India were poor and under developed is because the British enslaved the population and stole all of their wealth and innovations. To say I wasn't happy is an understatement.

Lol....

Soldato
so completely hypothetical situation before anyone gets their pitchforks out

i run a small taxi company and a large number of my drivers come from various backgrounds. what would happen if i deemed white males were underrepresented in my firm based on the uk populations percentages and chose to address the balance and recruit only white people? yup you guessed it i would be sued dragged through the mud blasted a racist in every bit of press and media going and my firm boycotted.

but if i turn round tommorow and say women are underrepresented so recruit from female only shortlists thats perfectly fine?

Caporegime
Ah yes, those great 18th/19th/20th century African innovations like... Hmm, like...

OK there's Egypt and they were pretty awesome a few thousand years ago.

But the rest of Africa had innovations like... like... Well whatever they were we stoled them pretty good, because I can't think of any.

Associate
so completely hypothetical situation before anyone gets their pitchforks out

i run a small taxi company and a large number of my drivers come from various backgrounds. what would happen if i deemed white males were underrepresented in my firm based on the uk populations percentages and chose to address the balance and recruit only white people? yup you guessed it i would be sued dragged through the mud blasted a racist in every bit of press and media going and my firm boycotted.

but if i turn round tommorow and say women are underrepresented so recruit from female only shortlists thats perfectly fine?

You can employ who you like, theres no law saying you must employ "X" amount of minorites. What you cannot do is prevent somebody applying. If you were minded to only employee whites over a minority, and that minority was vastly better qualified, then you could in theory be in breach of discrimination laws. But in practise there's many reasons somebody with less qualification's gets jobs, ie fits better with the team etc

Positive discrimination is illegal in the UK, ie giving a minority a job who is less qualified solely because of the background. Positive action, choosing a minority who is equally qualified because you want to even out your work place is legal.

Soldato

Did you challenge the school on it? Or even tell your family members to challenge that?

The British Empire did exploit the territory. No question. To say they are poor because of Britain is the real issue. The old white guilt. I'd have a thing or two to say about that.

Things are getting very polarized in many respects and kids are only getting one side of the argument. Or one set of views if parents don't take care to educate the children themselves.

One reason I read books is to get a more grounded knowledge of things. Some posters link an op-ed and think it undoes all the verifiable evidence. Secret Affair is a great example of this. UK forces trained and supported ISIS from Jordan. Verifiable and produced by Mark Curtis in short but damning statements. Opinion pieces written saying its not so (against cables and memos by military brass).

Salman Abedi... LFG MI5/6 asset. Allowed to go and fight. Allowed to come back and given safe passage and harbour.

Soldato
Ah yes, those great 18th/19th/20th century African innovations like... Hmm, like...

OK there's Egypt and they were pretty awesome a few thousand years ago.

But the rest of Africa had innovations like... like... Well whatever they were we stoled them pretty good, because I can't think of any.

It was people that were exploited. Resources quite minimally due to our own technological ability at the time or lack thereof eg no powered machinery.

Caporegime
If you're smart you'll understand that at work there's a social element to progressing, you need to network and be likeable, but doing that probably means you're smart and will be good at jobs regardless as you'll be able to work in a team and understand social dynamics.

Then why must we suffer the tripe that we call government which is quite literally the most entitled friends group there is?

Then you have nepotismistic narcissists in many businesses who think their child is worth employing over perfectly well functioning candidates.

Associate
Did you challenge the school on it? Or even tell your family members to challenge that?

The British Empire did exploit the territory. No question. To say they are poor because of Britain is the real issue. The old white guilt. I'd have a thing or two to say about that.

Things are getting very polarized in many respects and kids are only getting one side of the argument. Or one set of views if parents don't take care to educate the children themselves.

One reason I read books is to get a more grounded knowledge of things. Some posters link an op-ed and think it undoes all the verifiable evidence. Secret Affair is a great example of this. UK forces trained and supported ISIS from Jordan. Verifiable and produced by Mark Curtis in short but damning statements. Opinion pieces written saying its not so (against cables and memos by military brass).

Salman Abedi... LFG MI5/6 asset. Allowed to go and fight. Allowed to come back and given safe passage and harbour.

It's my sister's job to challenge the school, but unfortunately, she is the polar opposite to in both education and motivation so doubtful anything will get said.

What I was able to do is talk through with my niece the basics of the empire and trade networks so she can go off and research it to make her own mind up. I have the benefit that my first degree was reading history, the most valuable thing I can teach a 12 year old is critical thinking and analysis

Caporegime
Is that what you think happened in this case? The court disagreed.

No I’m talking about common practices in employment, the old adage of who you know, not what you know that really matters.

This country would be so much better for it if it wasn’t struck up its own bum all the time, merit based cultures are just far less aggravating.

Associate
No I’m talking about common practices in employment, the old adage of who you know, not what you know that really matters.

Networks do and will always play a part. However in modern industry the idiot son of middle management might get the job but won't last 5 minutes. Productivity and growth are the name of the game in modern corporations. They actually invest a lot trying to harvest talent from areas unknown.

I've worked extensively with some of the biggest multinationals and have yet to meet somebody I thought was utterly incompetent (but a few I didn't like as people)

Soldato
It's my sister's job to challenge the school, but unfortunately, she is the polar opposite to in both education and motivation so doubtful anything will get said.

What I was able to do is talk through with my niece the basics of the empire and trade networks so she can go off and research it to make her own mind up. I have the benefit that my first degree was reading history, the most valuable thing I can teach a 12 year old is critical thinking and analysis

Bravo

Soldato
Virtue signalling gone mad.

"Look we have X black and gay people, so we're super diverse, praise us on facebook!"

...Is what it's about.

I say that if they are hiring people based on race and not merit alone, then they are actually abusing them. As well as potentially putting someone in a position which is way over their head (like Diane Abbot).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom