The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
they are now known as the company i linked to £4 for 10kg

never had any issues using them. for the price even if they do burn faster they would need to be burning like stupidly fast for it not to be worthwhile.

1 bag lasted me all of summer last year and i had 4-6 parties. i think 1 bag will last something like 10-15 hours depending on wind

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a go when it's time to re-order.

Caporegime
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a go when it's time to re-order.

don't use paraffin firelighters. buy natural firelighters made of wood like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Ec...51128806&sr=8-3&keywords=natural+firelighters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flamers-Na...51128806&sr=8-4&keywords=natural+firelighters

couple of options for you. i bought flamers last time but now there seems to be a cheaper alternative.

paraffin will soak into the pizza / stone. i don't use them in bbq's either now. i use natural firelighters for both bbq and ooni

Caporegime
Thanks again @Psycho Sonny. All I need to do now is get cooking!

@Hedge - A blowtorch is an officially sanctioned way to light the oven, so I don't see the problem! It's not leaving a paraffin residue.

nothing wrong with a blowtorch however it's not needed either to get it started. so why waste ££ on one? matches or a lighter with natural firelighters will work better as the blowtorch tends to burn far too hot and you end up wasting pellets as a result. not that is an issue with cheap pellets it just seems like a gadget to show off with rather than being more practical.

Soldato
OP
I use the natural firelighters @Psycho Sonny has linked. Quick, easy and convenient. Regarding the Balcas Brites pellets, picked a bag up from the local builders centre a few weeks ago, A little more smokey at the start but no issues after a few minutes. I found them to burn just as hot as the Uuni pellets which are much more expensive.

Associate
I need to try some different bases. I just stick with a 4 day fridge matured Neapolitan one from serious eats. I started with an uni 2s but then got one of the larger ones from Costco. Takes longer to get to temp but no faffing round inbetween pizzas letting it get back to a hotter temp due to the lack of mass maintaining the heat.

Soldato
OP
As
I need to try some different bases. I just stick with a 4 day fridge matured Neapolitan one from serious eats. I started with an uni 2s but then got one of the larger ones from Costco. Takes longer to get to temp but no faffing round inbetween pizzas letting it get back to a hotter temp due to the lack of mass maintaining the heat.

As in Pizza bases ?

If anything that is one of the aspects of Pizza cooking that I hate / love the most. trying different flour / hydration combinations. For example I tried Caputo 00 flour and it worked a treat with a very basic recipe (flour, salt, water, yeast). Swapped out to Molino Grassi flour and could not stretch a dough ball for ****. Changed the hydration and todays batch look and feel a lot better.

Associate
Yeah sorry by bases I meant dough not pre bought bases lol. Soughdough does sound pretty good actually will need to get hold of some starter. The cold fermented one is a strong flavour almost like sourdough so that sounds up my street. I’ve tended to use the big bag of Manitoba bread flour I get from Costco but might have to try some different ones. Just about the light the pizza oven for dinner and going to chuck some chicken satay on a sizzler for a snack

Soldato
OP
@robj20 Be very interested to see how you went on adding Semolina to the mix. I did a pretty big cook out on Boxing day using 10% Semolina with 90 Caputo Blue 00 at 62% hydration. Have to say it's some of the best pizzas I have made.

Man of Honour
Was very tempted by an Uuni for my birthday this year, but... Well, it's not an Uuni, but just today picked up from B&Q a La Hacienda Firebox and the peel and the narrow peel. The Firebox (in Stainless steel) is already on sale, as are the peels (for a frankly ridiculous £3 and £1). Had some vouchers, which brought the cost down to sub £30, and then using the work card I have gave me some cashback too. So all in all, about £27 for me.

I've got an old BBQ that I'll use for this, some decent charcoal and away I'll go.

Now to try out some dough.

Back
Top Bottom