Naturally Aspirated Cars

Associate
It's not really fair enough at all, generally a turbocharged engine will be more fuel efficient than a similarly powerful normally aspirated engine because it needs less capacity to make that power.

This is why there are so many small turbo engines now.
Agreed, but he seemed pretty set in his ways, so couldn’t be arsed making a case. ;)

Soldato
Smaller and lighter yes but they also have to run the mixture richer to prevent knocking so the gain is not as big as you would think, especially with a heavier foot.

Soldato
Problem is the tests don't really reflect real world driving for most people. If they did, we wouldn't see small turbo engines doing nearly as well on paper.

We have engines built for "beating" the test (lol VW), rather than actually being the best they can be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mazda's EGR tech makes zero difference to the tests (low load) but improves their real numbers, it discourages them from spending money on it as it does not improve their spec sheet and makes the car a bit more expensive.

Soldato
Manual, surely? Might as well get a turbocharged car if all you're going to do is bang a torque converter auto behind it (unless, of course, you need an automatic for a specific reason).

Associate
OP
Manual, surely? Might as well get a turbocharged car if all you're going to do is bang a torque converter auto behind it (unless, of course, you need an automatic for a specific reason).
Well my commute is 15 miles of 75% traffic and 25% foot down and go.

My other car (2018 Honda CrV) has an autobox which had terrible pull away speed being an auto as it isn’t instant, so not sure on an auto.

Soldato
Basically the same yes but there are differences.

Different front bumpers and lighting design up front.
Slightly different interior as well with some of the panels being a different colour.
On the pre-facelift the spring rates are slightly different (the 86 is a little more tail happy as a result)
Interior dash instruments on BRZ are the poverty spec ones, black dials.
BRZ stereo is especially poor.

The real kicker though is the dealers. Subaru dealers are basically a nightmare when it comes to warranty. Toyota dealers are much more lenient and some are downright fantastic (RRG Macclesfield I'm looking squarely at you). I went Toyota and am very much glad that I did!

Soldato
Agree with Fox. Hence 0-62 times for cars which have an auto and manual options are almost always faster for autos.

Only if it's a dual clutch box, but the auto in the gt86 is a torque converter. The manual will do 0-60 in around 6 sec with sticky tyres and some practice. But that isn't really what the car is for.

Man of Honour
Only if it's a dual clutch box. The auto in the gt86 is a torque converter. The manual will do 0-60 in around 6 sec with sticky tyres and some practice.
The ZF8 on my BMW isn't dual clutch as far as I know and it's faster than the manual. Same with other BMWs with either option. There's no practice needed, just put your foot down.

That said in a car like the GT86 the manual is the only option to consider IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ZF8 on my BMW isn't dual clutch as fast as I know and it's faster than the manual. Same with other BMWs with either option. There's no practice needed, just put your foot down.

That said in a car like the GT86 the manual is the only option to consider IMO.

The auto's gears are also quite a bit longer so that probably doesn't help either. It's definitely not as quick as the manual, it's well tried and tested.

Cheaper road tax though, so that's something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom