Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
Wife is a bit concerned that her mother (who lives with us) is too used to flats and forgotten the extra bit of security needed in normal houses.

As such, my idea has changed slightly, and I am ideally looking for a solution that does the following:

2x Turret cams for the backyard and driveway
1x Video doorbell that can integrate with the main NVR, as well as having an app (bonus points if there is a way to link it to a small LCD panel indoors
1x NVR that can manage all 3 of the above

Has anybody gone down the video doorbell + cctv camera route? What have you found works really well together.

I looked in to Hikvision, but their video doorbell doesn't get great reviews, but I don't know if the likes of Hello/Ring can integrate with a Hikvision NVR set up.

Soldato
* Sorry, not read through the thread *

so, at 01:00 today I had 4/5 hard bangs on the front door. I was up so maybe they saw the light on.

looked outside couldn't see anyone, went out, couldn't see anyone. ****** off so went out looking in the car, couldn't find anyone.

It's time for a CCTV system for the front.

My problem is, until 23:00/00:00 we've street lights, then they go off until 06:00.

Is cctv with night vision worth it? is the quality decent enough without costing a fortune? Or, would it be better to just get a decent quality without night vision and a motion sensor light

Positioning? Up high or a system fitted around/on the front door?

Associate
* Sorry, not read through the thread *

so, at 01:00 today I had 4/5 hard bangs on the front door. I was up so maybe they saw the light on.

looked outside couldn't see anyone, went out, couldn't see anyone. ****** off so went out looking in the car, couldn't find anyone.

It's time for a CCTV system for the front.

My problem is, until 23:00/00:00 we've street lights, then they go off until 06:00.

Is cctv with night vision worth it? is the quality decent enough without costing a fortune? Or, would it be better to just get a decent quality without night vision and a motion sensor light

Positioning? Up high or a system fitted around/on the front door?
Maybe worth looking at the Ring floodlight cam? Doesnt cost the earth and saves you getting a full system if all you want is to protect the front of your house.

Soldato
I use the arlo pro cameras.

The night vision is fine for me and the completly wireless setup was the winner

For daytime refrence, heres the delivery driver throwing a box of next doors glass candle holders over my fence on friday.

Associate
Well they been up there a month and are only down to 50% so not bad. You can buy the cables to hardwire them if you really want too. Mine are reachable from upstairs windows so easily removable and chargable
In that case that's pretty impressive and much better than I thought they would be. Might actually take a look at one then, as I would like to have one camera at the back of my property (my front/side cams are hard wired) but there is no easy internal route for wiring at all to the back.
Cheers.

Soldato
I’ve also got an Arlo camera system and our busiest one is down to 50% and they’ve been up since the middle of December. The other two are both around 75%.

Associate
Could someone help me with a cctv system I am wanting three cameras all will be outdoor that can be viewed on a smart phone and also want the main hub for the cameras next to my tv so I can run a hdmi cable to tv to view them on there.

My budget is around £250-£300 any help would be appreciated.

Associate
Could someone help me with a cctv system I am wanting three cameras all will be outdoor that can be viewed on a smart phone and also want the main hub for the cameras next to my tv so I can run a hdmi cable to tv to view them on there.

My budget is around £250-£300 any help would be appreciated.

Wireless or wired If someone could help as I don’t have knowledge on cctv systems I have googled many things and havnt got far.

Soldato
Are you looking to record 24/7 or only when motion is detected? Or are you just wanting to see a live view as and when you need it with no recordings?

At this budget the kind of systems you'll see mentioned in the monster CCTV thread are out of range, Hikvision, Dahua etc.

You're probably looking at one of the Swann off the shelf packages, you'll be able to get 4x1080p cameras and a 1-2TB DVR.

Or if this project is less about security and more about convience and live viewing then you could consider the IOT route e.g. Arlo, Nest, Netatmo, Ring etc.

Wired is generally better as if you go down the wireless route you'll still need a wire for the power supply or if they're battery powered like most of the IOT products you'll need to be prepared to take the down every month or two to charge.

Do have a look through the big thread to get general tips about installation locations and best practices and things. I know it's big and a bit cumbersome.

The more you can say about your needs the more we can help.

Caporegime
Does anyone have any experience with Synology Surveillance Station?

I'm now thinking that it might be much cheaper for me to get a new DS218+ (which has an intel cpu) and use that as both my security DVR and Plex server.

This means I don't need a stand-alone DVR and HDD, as I can re-use the 2x 2TB disks I have in my current DS214j, plus I wouldn't need to shell out on a Shield which I was going to use as a Plex server. It also means only running a single device as a NAS/Plex/CCTV, rather than 3 separate items.

As I only plan to have 2 Hikvision cameras, I can just use the 2 free licences that come with Surveillance Station.

Caporegime
Me, this is how I run my cameras and it works perfect. Already had the NAS so when I decided to get cctv installed it was a no brainer to use the surveillance station.

I've been reading around, and SS doesn't support the smart detection features of Hik cameras, plus I would need to buy a POE switch to power them.

If I get a proper Hik NVR for all the features, then getting a new Synology NAS at £300 becomes not worth it over just using my existing NAS and getting a Shield for Plex.

Bah, was hoping for a nice, cheap all-in-one solution.

Back
Top Bottom