Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
These Ring doorbells. What’s to stop someone ripping it off the front of your house and clearing off with it?

I’ve just bought an Arlo three camera wireless system but I’m considering the Ring doorbell as well.

Soldato
Looking for 4x bullet cameras that have at least 1080p @ 30fps, 4-6mm, decent IR for night that i can use with my synology NAS for now and a NVR later.

Was thinking the Hikvision DS-2CD2055FWD-I

There's a plethora of Hikvision, getting a little confused. I also have Ubiquiti at home, anybody have any experience with their cameras?

Last edited:
Soldato
Used my CCTV system for the first time this morning to send video footage and stills to the police of some guy checking car on my street then up onto my drive to check the in laws doors and then the wifes car doors, the mother in law banged on the window
and he strolled off .......scumbags!

Associate
Does anyone know if the recent cameras support viewing via a browser without a windows plugin? ie one that works on Macs, android etc etc using html5 video streaming? I want to replace a pair of Hickvision which are unusable for years now, they never fixed the software.

Soldato
I'm after 2 cameras, front and back.

• We want live streams of both at same time displayed on a tablet under TV / phones while away
  • Wireless
  • Be able to store / access historic footage
  • Ability to add further cameras
  • Cheap, limited budget
What would you recommend?

Soldato
Anyone got any night footage in complete darkness and with some lighting of the Hikvision 2385 turret?

I’ve had to send back over 10 2335 low light cams due to condensation buildup around lens when the IR switches on making the cams useless.

I need replacements and I might have to sacrifice some night quality if the 2385’s are sufficient.

Associate
Is there anything that can be done to combat light reflection on number plates at night or bounced light making the scene overly overexposed and bright?

I have Hikvision DS-2CD2363G0-I 6MP 2.8mm turret cameras installed but am finding night time footage a pain to review at times for any suspicious activity due to the light reflection.

There are street lights outside of the house which I assume are the main culprit. The street lights do ensure the scene is better lit but makes only the foreground visible. I do switch off the light outside the house as that can cause more overexposure.

Would I be best served with an older 3MP turret that is better suited for the night so the scene is in colour or better footage?

Any advice on what to do? The cameras during the day are brilliant and to some extent the cameras at the back of the house are sharp due to good lighting and no issues.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there anything that can be done to combat light reflection on number plates at night or bounced light making the scene overly overexposed and bright?

I have Hikvision DS-2CD2363G0-I 6MP 2.8mm turret cameras installed but am finding night time footage a pain to review at times for any suspicious activity due to the light reflection.

There are street lights outside of the house which I assume are the main culprit. The street lights do ensure the scene is better lit but makes only the foreground visible. I do switch off the light outside the house as that can cause more overexposure.

Would I be best served with an older 3MP turret that is better suited for the night so the scene is in colour or better footage?

Any advice on what to do? The cameras during the day are brilliant and to some extent the cameras at the back of the house are sharp due to good lighting and no issues.

Thank you.

Try turning night vision off if you have decent lighting from street lights. I have 2332 turrets and for one of them i have set it so that at night it is recording in colour and i'm happy with it.

Associate
Try turning night vision off if you have decent lighting from street lights. I have 2332 turrets and for one of them i have set it so that at night it is recording in colour and i'm happy with it.

Cheers. I will give this a go. I have heard the 2332 turrets are good in low light as it is due to less MP. I opted for 6MP so will see how one of them is with night vision off.

Associate
Cheers. I will give this a go. I have heard the 2332 turrets are good in low light as it is due to less MP. I opted for 6MP so will see how one of them is with night vision off.

I've had them a few years now. Installed after the missus's car got vandalised and the police didn't want to know because we didn't have cameras at the time.

Interesting on the point re 6MP vs 3MP at night. I have recently been thinking about getting either 2K or 4K cameras as inevitably the urge to upgrade comes around but if there is not going to be much benefit i may save a few quid.

Be good to see if you get a better night view by going to colour.

Associate
I've had them a few years now. Installed after the missus's car got vandalised and the police didn't want to know because we didn't have cameras at the time.

Interesting on the point re 6MP vs 3MP at night. I have recently been thinking about getting either 2K or 4K cameras as inevitably the urge to upgrade comes around but if there is not going to be much benefit i may save a few quid.

Be good to see if you get a better night view by going to colour.

What NVR do you have? Just make sure your NVR can support the newer 4K cameras and how many it can handle at maximum resolution.

I went with the 6MP as the middle ground and on the whole they deliver a very good picture and allow me to zoom in to the image.

The light reflection at night seems an issue for most cameras hence saw some footage of the 3MP cameras being able to stay in colour mode longer into the night versus other cameras as described here.

If you upgrade I would upgrade one turret to a 6/8mp and see how you get on.

Associate
What NVR do you have? Just make sure your NVR can support the newer 4K cameras and how many it can handle at maximum resolution.

I went with the 6MP as the middle ground and on the whole they deliver a very good picture and allow me to zoom in to the image.

The light reflection at night seems an issue for most cameras hence saw some footage of the 3MP cameras being able to stay in colour mode longer into the night versus other cameras as described here.

If you upgrade I would upgrade one turret to a 6/8mp and see how you get on.

That's good advice, wouldn't have thought. They are connected to a synology 916+ NAS so i'll check if a 4k will run on it. Is the reflection at night down to the IR bouncing off reflective surfaces?

Back
Top Bottom