• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
It's why I decided to get my Vega56. I didn't want extensive gaming on my new OLED, so decided to hurt my brain catching up on PC parts as I haven't really studied them for the last 5 years.

Ah well, will try tweek my i5 2500k Overclock to stop the random Bluescreens (Think I will settle around 4.3ghz). Then I will go for undervolt/overclock the card. Just run GPU-Z and have Samsunf memory, so read thats good.

My results thus far with 4.3ghz i5 and stock Vega 56 Pulse is;

Firestrike: 13,161 (7950 was 7,635)
Timespy: 5,378 (7950 was 2,385)

I'm not sure what I should be aiming for but using less juice and another step up would be nice. Though Just about doubled my score from my 7950 I had before. Hopefully Division 2 will be a lot better settings as was gaming at 1080p and getting 35fps on High. I'm hoping for Ultra settings....but thats prob wishful thinking. What are you guys getting in Division 2 (for those who have managed to get it?)

I get 24000 GPU score on firestrike with my V56. I also got 60-70fps on D2 at 1440p during the open beta. Might be worth you upgrading that 2500k to a 2600k if you can get one cheap. The extra threads make a huge difference in games today.

Soldato
My pulse is running 1650/950Mhz at 1000/950mV just fine... Not too sure how that compares or how much more it has to give but I'm very happy with it so far.

Imo those are great numbers, hell that's V64 Nitro+ territory. I'd be psyked for that.

I'm not sure what I should be aiming for but using less juice and another step up would be nice. Though Just about doubled my score from my 7950 I had before. Hopefully Division 2 will be a lot better settings as was gaming at 1080p and getting 35fps on High. I'm hoping for Ultra settings....but thats prob wishful thinking. What are you guys getting in Division 2 (for those who have managed to get it?)

I think for TD2 your CPU will hold you back a lot, as that's a proper multi-threaded title. In beta I held >40 fps @ 4K Ultra(ish?) with a V64 Nitro, so the pulse won't be far off. For 1080p there's no reason you won't be >60fps except if your CPU holds you back.

Associate
I get 24000 GPU score on firestrike with my V56. I also got 60-70fps on D2 at 1440p during the open beta. Might be worth you upgrading that 2500k to a 2600k if you can get one cheap. The extra threads make a huge difference in games today.

I just got 15,181 (13,161 stock) with trying your above settings in Wattman. Set to 1,602 and 950 on memory. So thanks for those settings as don't want to give myself a headache and will stick with that. (Just realised that's with stock fan curve as didn't change that)

I was thinking bout CUP and will look into your suggestion. However if pricey, I may hold out for the next AMD chips and somehow sneek a Motherboard/CPU/Memory and probably upgrade from my Antec 650w PSU too. Just have to sneak past the Mrs.
Managed to pull off the card as said I was cleaning out the dust ha ha. I have my own cash, just if I buy owt expensive she starts mentioning booking holidays ha ha.

Anyways the above then introduces switching to a new monitor and in turn if 4k is popular my Vega font last long. Jeez the upgrade bug gets ya....

.....anyways thanks so much for those settings. I'm guessing 1602 and 950 is decent upgrade so won't push it too much higher :0)

Associate
I just got 15,181 (13,161 stock) with trying your above settings in Wattman. Set to 1,602 and 950 on memory. So thanks for those settings as don't want to give myself a headache and will stick with that. (Just realised that's with stock fan curve as didn't change that)

I was thinking bout CUP and will look into your suggestion. However if pricey, I may hold out for the next AMD chips and somehow sneek a Motherboard/CPU/Memory and probably upgrade from my Antec 650w PSU too. Just have to sneak past the Mrs.
Managed to pull off the card as said I was cleaning out the dust ha ha. I have my own cash, just if I buy owt expensive she starts mentioning booking holidays ha ha.

Anyways the above then introduces switching to a new monitor and in turn if 4k is popular my Vega font last long. Jeez the upgrade bug gets ya....

.....anyways thanks so much for those settings. I'm guessing 1602 and 950 is decent upgrade so won't push it too much higher :0)

If you check ebay, gumtree etc you can pick up 2600k for around £50. For that price your set for 1080/1440p for a long time in my opinion. The trouble with the 2500k is it falls short with current games since they make use of all threads now. Also make sure you set power limit to +50% on wattman, it should stop it downclocking. I also set p6 to minimum and p7 to maximum so in games at always runs 1570-1600mhz on core. Id also set fan to run minimum 50% constantly so that temps dont make it downclock.

Associate
If you check ebay, gumtree etc you can pick up 2600k for around £50. For that price your set for 1080/1440p for a long time in my opinion. The trouble with the 2500k is it falls short with current games since they make use of all threads now. Also make sure you set power limit to +50% on wattman, it should stop it downclocking. I also set p6 to minimum and p7 to maximum so in games at always runs 1570-1600mhz on core. Id also set fan to run minimum 50% constantly so that temps dont make it downclock.

So delete all the other P states? Does this mean whilst browsing it will ramp up that far?
Also make fan constantly run at 50%? Is this minimum and goes faster if gets hot or just sticks at 50?
I have noticed when card benchmarks, the sound it makes, sounds like a cable is caught rubbing on the fan. Is this normal and what is described as coil whine? (My 7950 was more of a high pitched squeal)

Thanks for the additional info. Was wondering about the 2600k and if to swap my 2x4gb to 2x8gb. My current CPU fan blocks memory slot 4 so have to do that way.
If I buy the extra memory and change CPU will prob cost around £150, but if it holds me a lot longer would be better than a full rebuild.

Associate
So delete all the other P states? Does this mean whilst browsing it will ramp up that far?
Also make fan constantly run at 50%? Is this minimum and goes faster if gets hot or just sticks at 50?
I have noticed when card benchmarks, the sound it makes, sounds like a cable is caught rubbing on the fan. Is this normal and what is described as coil whine? (My 7950 was more of a high pitched squeal)

Thanks for the additional info. Was wondering about the 2600k and if to swap my 2x4gb to 2x8gb. My current CPU fan blocks memory slot 4 so have to do that way.
If I buy the extra memory and change CPU will prob cost around £150, but if it holds me a lot longer would be better than a full rebuild.

My current profile is P6 minimum 1570mhz and p7 maximum 1600mhz, at 950mv. memory is set to 950mhz at 950mv also. Fans set to 50% across the board so it doesnt go lower. Coil whine sounds like one of those old glass TVs if you remember sometimes when they go into standbye its like a high pitched ringing noise. It will become noticeable when your doing something thats using the GPU like gaming etc.

I have switched from an old i7 to a 2600k and run it at 4.5ghz, with 16GB ddr3 at 1600mhz, and at 1440p I now max out games with this V56 but sometimes with AA on low or off for best frames.

On idle my gpu sits at around 1600mhz but during gaming it floats between 1570 and 1600. Setting P6 as minimum helps the frame rates since the core clock can drop to like 100mhz without setting 6 as minimum. I also have memory P3 (last state) set as minimum/max and leave it at 950mhz.

Associate
Quick question, I RMA'd my V64 which i could end up with a Refund. im debating saving £100 and getting a V56 if it comes to it. Will i notice much difference playing @ 1440/144hz?

Associate
Quick question, I RMA'd my V64 which i could end up with a Refund. im debating saving £100 and getting a V56 if it comes to it. Will i notice much difference playing @ 1440/144hz?

IIRC V56 is supposed to be like 1070/1070ti and V64 is like 1080 performance. However a flashed v56 can approach 1080 levels so I wouldn't have thought so.

My V56 is smashing 1440 BF5 on ultra for 70fps minus AA which is on low.

Associate
Still not got mine yet. Bit of a farce really why they can't just send them all at once is a joke.

Same, sat here watching begginers tips about Division 2 mulling over what to play to pass some time as I have the day off. Went to play Forza 4 and that is updating so can't play that.
2 weeks I have scrambled to grab a new GFX Card for today hoping for a full day of gaming..............oh well my PC is dust free and waffling on Forums is passing some time.

Deleted hald my games waiting for this too. Games nowadays are so big. Considering if to get a 1TB SSD as only have a 125 for my OS and a 250GB for Steam, but thats only a few top games nowa days.

Well my initial thought of 'I ain't spending £80 to get on console, when I can get for £35' has turned the other way. £300 GFX Card and now considering SSD and a full system upgrade around summer time. Best be decent this game :O)

Associate
IIRC V56 is supposed to be like 1070/1070ti and V64 is like 1080 performance. However a flashed v56 can approach 1080 levels so I wouldn't have thought so.

My V56 is smashing 1440 BF5 on ultra for 70fps minus AA which is on low.

Cheers, im tempted by the 56. ill make the decision if a refund is offered.

Soldato
Anyone else got bad coil whine on their 56? It's pretty bad on my Vega 56 pulse. Heard it may get better with time, and I haven't undervolted it yet which may also help.

Associate
Ok well it looks as though I have this pretty much fixed, I need to do a fair bit more testing but it appears as though its the memory bug in windows 10 creators edition, running DDU intelligent standby cleaner at the mo and BF5 has been fine for a good number of games, Cant believe MS haven't fixed this yet, its over a year old.

(it was affecting BF5, Ark survivor and Subnautica, hence why I didn't pick it up straight away)

Still though had a great session today, so hopefully that is now the end of it.

EDIT - All fixed, seems I was a little unfair, turns out the main culprit was the virus checker (Avast) but only after a certain time gaming, it must start hitting a cache or something which then brings the system down. turning it off whilst gaming fixes it all so an easy remedy in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of quick questions if someone could help me out. Looking to undervolt my 56 pulse soon, should I flash the bios to 64 first or not bother?

Also, anyone know if you can change the colour/behaviour of the pulse LED on the side?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom