• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
The savings are big on b450 boards, its unfortenate tho they artifically gimp the bios's.

my asrock b450 has no LLC control, simple on and off for PBO, and no p-state tuning controls.

If you only care about XFR tho and/or basic o/c controls then its great, you can still control all dram timings, the voltages, set clock speed, set voltage, as well as offset.

Associate
The savings are big on b450 boards, its unfortenate tho they artifically gimp the bios's.

my asrock b450 has no LLC control, simple on and off for PBO, and no p-state tuning controls.

If you only care about XFR tho and/or basic o/c controls then its great, you can still control all dram timings, the voltages, set clock speed, set voltage, as well as offset.

Yeah for the kids I will just set it to Auto with an AIO on it and let it do it's thing, should be good enough for them

Caporegime
I generally dont buy MSI products as i find them inferior, especially motherboards, i havent purchased one in over 10 years, are they actually decent quality now? if i want to buy the best B450 motherboard right now with Wifi to run a 2600X, what is the options?

This is what is likely to happen i'll buy the B450 + 2600x, put the 2600x in my CH6 and put the B450 in my kids PC with my 1700, then when Zen2 lands, i'll swap the CH6 and 2600X into the kids PC and sell the B450 and 1700 to offset costs of Mobo and Zen2 CPU.

Well I bought the 2600 non x and overclocked it in 30 seconds to 4.1 ghz...MSI Pro Carbon WiFi...decent mobo and I always get ASUS

Bios is certainly not gimped it’s a full featured mobo and for 117 I paid a bargain really considering intels offerings. Fact is you don’t need 470 unless you want dual gfx cards...B450 is fine...

Also why buy the 2600x when 99% of 2600 will do 4.1ghz with a decent AIO...

With experience of both Ryzen and 9900k the 9900k is a brilliant chip but it’s not worth £499 imo...

The Six core 12 thread 8750H i7 in my new Dell laptop is a fantastic chip though...one of the reason the 9900k got sold...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I bought the 2600 non x and overclocked it in 30 seconds to 4.1 ghz...MSI Pro Carbon WiFi...decent mobo and I always get ASUS

Bios is certainly not gimped it’s a full featured mobo and for 117 I paid a bargain really considering intels offerings. Fact is you don’t need 470 unless you want dual gfx cards...B450 is fine...

With experience of both Ryzen and 9900k the 9900k is a brilliant chip but it’s not worth £499 imo...

The Six core 8750H i7 in my new Dell laptop is a fantastic chip

I haven't spent much time with the 2600 overclocking as I've only bought them to build systems for other people but the boards I've used I simply enabled the various performance enhancements in the BIOS and they've boosted upto 40xxMHz fine without any real overclocking which is close to what people generally get overclocking them anyhow. Though that was 300 series board and apparently works a bit different on the 400s.

Associate

The Six core 12 thread 8750H i7 in my new Dell laptop is a fantastic chip though...one of the reason the 9900k got sold...

I guess cos the 2600x shoils boost a bit higher? For the sake of £35 or whatever I'll bite.

I have an XPS 15 9570 with the same chip and a 1050ti as my work laptop and it's awesome

Caporegime
I guess cos the 2600x shoils boost a bit higher? For the sake of £35 or whatever I'll bite.

I have an XPS 15 9570 with the same chip and a 1050ti as my work laptop and it's awesome

Dude you change a multi in the bios and up the vcore a couple of notches and your done...2600x speeds...

£35 is not a lot but the less you spend now means less to lose on resale..

Just my 2 cents :)

EDIT: MSI have upped their game...I’m loving this B450 carbon...it looks cool...is stable and was well worth the little cost...basically the Ryzen 2600 and the msi carbon together cost less than the ASUS Hero z390 :p

Associate
Is it worth buying a ASRock X370 Taichi AMD X370 S AM4 DDR4 SATA3 ATX (£146.39) now, ready for the Ryzen2. I`m wanting to upgrade from my R7 1700 and Gigabyte B350, but don`t want to spend to much.

Associate
Also, would I see any real difference between these 2 rams, G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZB (£114) and G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (£184)
Yes the 2nd one is B-Die meaning it's better quality silicon and likely clocks better for lower voltage. It's not a straight out of the box fix though. Spend the time to learn and tune the memory timings to get the best out of it.

Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking did a good vid on Ryzen mem timing testing recently.

Soldato
Is it worth buying a ASRock X370 Taichi AMD X370 S AM4 DDR4 SATA3 ATX (£146.39) now, ready for the Ryzen2. I`m wanting to upgrade from my R7 1700 and Gigabyte B350, but don`t want to spend to much.

I'm confused why you want to buy a Ryzen 2000 board for a Ryzen 3000 CPU? Are you expecting Ryzen 3000 boards to be more expensive due to Brexit?

Associate
I might to look to upgrade my CH6 and 2700x later in the year for a X570 and 37xx. I don't really need to but i'm looking to replace my nephews 7700k as runs so hot. I can then upgrade his system in the future with my old stuff much easier giving me a reason to indulge my urge to upgrade.

Soldato
I did, but I bought a Dell laptop with a 6 core 12 thread 8750h i7...I’ve just been using that and amazed at the grunt. Plus having a laptop has been far more creative as I can move it about...tbh I’m really impressed with the 8750H chip...
I was surprised to read this as one of your main reasons for buying the 9900K was to get the absolutely best DAW performance. I can see how the laptop will give you greater creative freedom but there will have been a drop in performance. I expect it performs around the same as the Ryzen?

Associate
Are these new ryzen chips going to improve my fps in the sim racing titles? I use oculus rift and often dip below 90fps on my 4770k @ 4.5ghz . Most the sim titles are old engines and don't really utilise many cores. I'm running a gtx980 which I also need to upgrade.

Looking at the aftermarket value of my haswell gear I'm thinking of selling up and going ryzen 3

Associate
Are these new ryzen chips going to improve my fps in the sim racing titles? I use oculus rift and often dip below 90fps on my 4770k @ 4.5ghz . Most the sim titles are old engines and don't really utilise many cores. I'm running a gtx980 which I also need to upgrade.

Looking at the aftermarket value of my haswell gear I'm thinking of selling up and going ryzen 3

No idea if it will improve things but it wont make it worse and like you I got a decent price for my Haswell stuff, nearly £300 for board, chip and memory. You also gain nice features like nvme slots on the board.

Caporegime
I was surprised to read this as one of your main reasons for buying the 9900K was to get the absolutely best DAW performance. I can see how the laptop will give you greater creative freedom but there will have been a drop in performance. I expect it performs around the same as the Ryzen?

I tested and loaded the same mixes on both 9900k and the laptop and the cpu performance meter was negligible...The laptop performed really well considering its cost...£1000 I found myself using the laptop more and more to eventually not bothering with the 9900k machine. It was easier to record drums..My setup was running a long USB cable to my interface from the PC and having an extra monitor setup to control the DAW which was clunky...

FFvbMvll.jpg

Now I can move my laptop and interface next door to the drums and control my DAW there.

Having the mobility was a revelation...also I have moved my pro tools license to ilok cloud so I dont need my ilok anymore...all in all function won over the two extra cores and I'm going to upgrade the laptop to 32GB.

I've not tested the Ryzen machine as I have built it for my nephew for his birthday in April and CBA installing my studio software...But I have tested games and benched it and overclocked it and for the cost of an Asus Hero Z390 for both the MSI carbon mobo and 2600 its a brilliant cpu for the money...

Back
Top Bottom