circa 1970 Honda Monkey Bike- Project/Resto

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Today I should have all I need to get this up and running:

Brand new CDI type engine, of a certain capacity...
A new 12v battery
A wiring loom from a CDI equipped c90 cub
A new 12v regulator/rectifier
A new matched carb
A CDI coil/wiring kit - Due today in the post
A new low exit exhaust - Due today from courier.

One engine:
MonkeyNewEngine1.jpg

I actually already have the engine in place, but had clearance issues with the exhaust i was using before. Mainly around the electric start. So I decided against bending pipes to fit around it, as i was not sure how well it would survive such high temps. So found an under slung exhaust, that will change the exhaust routing totally.

The new manifold and carb are fitting, but I have had to use a carb spinner to get it to fit nicely. Still, the carb spinner is a nice shiny red thing, so looks pretty cool.

I really want to get this done before i head off on Friday. So really need the various postal services to come through for me!!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Had a couple of rides, new engine is fitted, and working. Exhaust sounds great!

MonkeyDirty1.jpg

MonkeyDirty2.jpg

Just got to add the new chain, 5 mins, job, and then it needs a clean after the wet weather!

Its due for an MOT in April, so will get that booked in asap, and might have a bit of a prod of the carb to tune out some flat spots. But otherwise, its riding well, and everythink is working :D

I have all the electronics fitted under the seat, its now 12, and using a larger 12v battery. Its got Electric start, and working dials. I am toying with the idea of adding a gear selector display, but I am not sure it really needs it. I also am planning to make up a small battery box and tidying up the wiring under the seat to make it look a bit neater, but not much more I want to do with it really!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Shirley this doesn't need an MOT?

It's looking good. I give it 2 mo ths before you're fitting the gear indicator :D

Thanks!

I am also confused, as it has an age related plate, and as such, is known to be a classic and requires no road tax, but it is showing as MOT due.

My MGB is exempt from tax and MOT and is the same age almost, so I will need to get that clarified.

I already have all the parts for the gear indicator :D

Soldato
Not sure if it's just the angle of the photo, but the exhaust clearance looks a bit on the slim side! Just as well there is no rear suspension and negligible front suspension travel :)

Back
Top Bottom