• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
I'd like to see more refinement in core areas of the design (VRMs, etc.) but

Nope.
The already largely overengineered VRMs don't need to be further overengineered.

more "bells and whistles" I can't think what they'd be.

The boards for AM4 show clearly inferiority compared to those for the intel sockets.
What needs to be improved on the AM4 are better I/O - that are M.2 slots, PCIe 4.0 availability, 10/100G LAN, Wireless WiFi and USB.

Soldato
There was a lot of talk that motherboard manufacturers had not expected Zen to be so good, and had put in their usual minimum effort on the basis that they wouldn't sell that many compared to Intel products. I expect to see the next generation of boards for Zen 2 to be better as Intel struggle with small chip processes, and CPU security bugs. AMD market share will increase, and board manufacturers will put more effort into the AMD products.

Soldato
You do talk some waffle, 4K8K.

Other than lots of aesthetic enhancements, what exactly do those expensive Z390 boards offer over X470? Couple of extra USB ports? How many do you need? Buy a hub if you don't have enough! WiFi? Plenty good enough for those who don't know, otherwise you'd wire the damn thing in, who wants WiFi on a ATX computer?

NVMe and RAID is all down to PCI-E lanes, of which X470 offers more than Z370/390 anyway. And however funky-looking Asus's DIMM.2 slot is, it doesn't offer anything beyond alternative placement for the SSDs. How many other aspects of the board must be gimped or switched off to allow multiple NVMe SSDs to run at full whack?

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for a X570 equivalent of the Maximus XI Gene but to say X470 "hurts your eyes" in comparison is melodramatic, childish nonsense.

Soldato
I'd rather have more boards move the focus away from gamers and offer more enterprisey/prosumer type features, like the Supermicro/Asus/Asrockrack Xeon E3 type stuff but for AM4.

E.G Better NICs, less bling, more storage options, better support for remote management, more consistent support for PCIE bifurcation etc etc

Only one board offers this on AM4 - and it's not even available yet (Asrockrack X470D4U)

Permabanned
You do talk some waffle, 4K8K.

Other than lots of aesthetic enhancements, what exactly do those expensive Z390 boards offer over X470? Couple of extra USB ports? How many do you need? Buy a hub if you don't have enough! WiFi? Plenty good enough for those who don't know, otherwise you'd wire the damn thing in, who wants WiFi on a ATX computer?

NVMe and RAID is all down to PCI-E lanes, of which X470 offers more than Z370/390 anyway. And however funky-looking Asus's DIMM.2 slot is, it doesn't offer anything beyond alternative placement for the SSDs. How many other aspects of the board must be gimped or switched off to allow multiple NVMe SSDs to run at full whack?

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for a X570 equivalent of the Maximus XI Gene but to say X470 "hurts your eyes" in comparison is melodramatic, childish nonsense.

You are wrong as almost always :D

Look at the circuitry and those hundreds of SMD microelements on the AM4. Now go to the intel boards and see their PCBs are clean.

Soldato
Nope, look at the staggering difference, the boards for AM4 are crappy - it's painful for my eyes:

Top AMD:

Middle-tier intel:

Top intel:

Those have to be the ugliest motherboards I have ever seen. Do you honestly think all that plastic on the top Intel board looks attractive? If a bare circuit board is that unatractive then surely a case without a window would do a better job of hiding it? Personally, I like how a circuit board looks and that's what I expect to see through a side window. I dont even like a shroud over the i/o.

Caporegime
There hasn't been an update yet, what's to say that means there won't be?

I read it...Just trying to find the article

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...-out-to-compatible-motherboards.414870.0.html

I think its something to with Bios size?

MSI, Asus, and BioStar have started rolling out updates for their current X470, B450, and X370 motherboards. Interestingly, B350 boards are not in the queue for Ryzen 3000 support; at least, not all of them.

However, AMD does not promise that all previous AM4 motherboards will support the Ryzen 3000 CPUs. For example, the BIOS chips on the 300 boards (X370, B350, A320), which only hold 16 MiByte and therefore can not contain the microcodes for all models, could cause problems. As a solution, manufacturers could offer parallel BIOS versions. The 400er motherboards (X470, B450) carry 32 MiByte chips.

Caporegime
@4K8KW10 Those Intel boards look way over done, like they are trying to justify a higher price by sticking more spoilers and go faster stripes on them.

In todays age though, they look better (Objectively speaking for myself)
I remember being disappointed by the motherboard options when I first bought into AM4.

I'm hoping to go all out on X570.

Looking at the current boards, there's some that look okay, but then there's other higher end ones that look a little bare for me.

Caporegime
Aesthetics is entirely up to the beholder, I feel as though the vast vast majority of people really don’t care about these excessive shrouds though.

As long as the thing has decent vrms and features... it doesn’t matter to me, much like phones nowadays, it’s just trimming the edges and adding a few hundred dollars because ‘new’.

I wouldn’t mind a very simple shroud if it wasn’t flashy for the sake of it, that’s very much down to full custom builds imo.

Back
Top Bottom