Bring on brexit!

Caporegime
When you go over 70mph in a freighted truck things start to feel unnervingly ~"floaty".

As Scania states... Current tyre technologies & brake compounds aint nowhere near good enough for sustained high speed (When freighted heavy).
When it's been raining and I've just pulled into the yard after returning from Liverpool (or Lymm) and gone via A50 ..Through Kegworth to Melton & Oakham the trailer brakes are actually smoking & stinky when I pull up to the fuel bowser !
You can also see the dampness evaporating from the tyres whilst sitting there refueling
Whilst I’m somewhat puzzled as to why you’d return from Lymm via Kegworth (;)) I concur entirely, you can cook the brakes easily with a 44tonner that’s limited to 55, anything above and your just asking for a nasty accident....

Man of Honour
Modern cars and (decently maintained) roads are easily capable of 85mph (around what the speed limit is on the continent) so why is 75 suddenly so bad?

Personally modern vehicle capabilities are the least of my worries - way too many drivers that shouldn't be doing 70 let alone faster.

Soldato
The law is in place, simple as that. To be honest, @Mr_Sukebe explains it perfectly. Just because you think it's ok, that doesn't mean it's ok. The law dictates what is acceptable.

There are laws in place that people break all the time, from littering, peeing in public, cycling on a pavement, not cleaning up after a dog or parking partially on a kerb. Can you honestly tell me you have never broken a single law?

Soldato
There are laws in place that people break all the time, from littering, peeing in public, cycling on a pavement, not cleaning up after a dog or parking partially on a kerb. Can you honestly tell me you have never broken a single law?

You're deflecting. When you start to compare dropping a crisp packet on the pavement to speeding in a car, then I think you need to accept that you've lost the argument.

Soldato
You're deflecting. When you start to compare dropping a crisp packet on the pavement to speeding in a car, then I think you need to accept that you've lost the argument.

I am making a statement that laws are not always 100% accurate and perfect. 80mph in modern cars is safer than 70mph was in cars in the 1960's.

As for dropping the packet of crisps, the law is in place, simple as that.

Soldato
It's illegal for a reason, ask the guys who have to scrape people off the road with a shovel.
Yes because literally everyday thousands of people get scraped off the autobahn where there is either no limit or much higher than our roads:p. See the problem with 'speed kills'mantra?

Soldato
Would this penalise the people doing 45 - 50 in a nsl....Whole thing seems like a pipe dream tbh. Imagine the effects on the motoring industry, direct and indirect.

No need for any decent engines or different cars. People who make the engines laid off, people that make the parts for those engines laid off etc as no demand. Tyre companies loose loads of business as no demand for decent tyres etc. Basically it's an authoritarian, dystopian nightmare.

We seem to be slowly heading that way with all things. Fun is being sucked from life because we have to stop the lowest common denominators from killing themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am making a statement that laws are not always 100% accurate and perfect. 80mph in modern cars is safer than 70mph was in cars in the 1960's.

As for dropping the packet of crisps, the law is in place, simple as that.

And if there were a gadget invented that ensured that any attempt to drop a crisp packet on the pavement would result in that crisp packet being automatically placed in a litter bin, then who could complain?

If you're going to offer an analogy, present it in full. ;)

There is literally no need to exceed the speed limit. It's selfish self indulgence.

Associate
Luckily you don't need to speed to drift. Maybe that can be the new speeding.
Can be an instant ban for drifting I'm afraid lol the cops **** you up. Same if you get caught doing wheelies on a motorcycle. Classed as dangerous driving which it kind of is dependant on who is doing it.

Start drifting on a track day and you get blacked flagged and a warning normally, do it again and you get kicked off and loose your £250 or however much the track day cost. Seen it happen before. Luckily there are separate days for drifting so everybody's happy.

Soldato
Depend where your doing it really. People will go on to industrial estates after hours and no one seems to care (I guess many are actually private land though, so it's a "civil matter" but one is there to complain). Quiet rural roads, no one is even going to see it. On the main roads with traffic, just don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Limits are there to cater or the lowest common denominator of driving. Even an average driver is better than that.

That lowest denominator is about to get lower now that all you need to do is get in a car and push the "go" pedal. Taking away responsibility from drivers makes them lazy and inattentive, we have enough drivers who believe the limit is the safe speed to drive at while anyone with common sense knows you drive to the conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quickest route mate. Although I'm going over Woodhead Pass tonight because the A50 is shut. (Lymm swap with a Jock!)

[Edit]

I have no idea why this didn't post immediately after your reply Scanny. I've just booted up and my reply was still in the compose box !!

Caporegime
Quickest route mate. Although I'm going over Woodhead Pass tonight because the A50 is shut. (Lymm swap with a Jock!)

[Edit]

I have no idea why this didn't post immediately after your reply Scanny. I've just booted up and my reply was still in the compose box !!
Fair do’s - I think I was thinking in terms of where I’m based rather than you to be honest! :o :D

Caporegime
When the time comes that most cars on the road does have speed limiters fitted anyone speeding is going to stand out like a sore thumb :(
It’s already like this with trucks, if your going significantly quicker than other trucks your almost guaranteed a pull (assuming of course there’s any kind of Police / DVSA patrollers to witness it) as by definition your noticeably quicker than the other limited trucks.

When I first started in trucks this wasn’t the case as lots of older (pre 1988 iirc) unlimited trucks were still in use, these days the only time you’ll see a truck old enough to not be limited on the road is when you see it heading to a classic show or the like, eventually cars will be the same but it’ll take a lot longer to filter down to the norm imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom