• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
how come all that play with us are slower on amd then ? all on ssd ? just face the reality that amd cpus are slower. then move on. you cant debate something which is fact and proven in benchmarks.

You need to provide objective data on the full technical specifications of the configurations in order to be able to compare them.

Caporegime
no i dont because i play the game with people every day. we know what performance we get. i also have a ryzen rig. also even badly made benchmarks show amds are slower. so there is nothing needed to be shown.just leave it now. its just back and forth.

is there any projected leaks or data on when we may see something or actual pricing yet ?

Man of Honour
Jesus, same thread same guff. Those last few pages were painful. Think it's time to unwatch this thread as about 50% of it is going over the same arguments on pubg time and time again. I'll be glad when these are out and I don't have to read the utter rubbish that this thread contains but instead have some proper info that isn't about how well an i5 supposedly performs in pubg.

Permabanned
Jesus, same thread same guff. Those last few pages were painful. Think it's time to unwatch this thread as about 50% of it is going over the same arguments on pubg time and time again. I'll be glad when these are out and I don't have to read the utter rubbish that this thread contains but instead have some proper info that isn't about how well an i5 supposedly performs in pubg.

Some people are blaming it all on the poor Ryzen and expect miracles from the new Ryzen 3000.
They must figure it out that NVME PCIe drives will load faster than SATA drives of any type.

Associate
You need to provide objective data on the full technical specifications of the configurations in order to be able to compare them.

This may not be statistical, but when I'm usually one of the first to die and I go on spectator cam and follow, then fps can be directly compared. I'll ask what the other lads are seeing and Intel are always higher.

Whether or not you believe or accept this I'm honestly not bothered, I get the feeling you fall into the AMD is best camp. Good for you, but I have zero loyalty or brand affinity, I went AMD because they slowed promise where Intel show decay. The 2700x was always only ever a stop gap to R3K but it's impressive in its own right... But for gaming, it's pretty far behind, at least on all the games I play.

Man of Honour

It would be nice if just once in awhile people would go away and objectively browse through a range of benchmarking sites (to reduce the potential for bias) before posting and not just form an opinion on the back of confirmation bias from the first scenario that fits what they want to see.

Man of Honour
It would be nice if just once in awhile people would go away and objectively browse through a range of benchmarking sites (to reduce the potential for bias) before posting and not just form an opinion on the back of confirmation bias from the first scenario that fits what they want to see.

Agreed but you can't debate with stupid. There are a million and one sources and if we wanted a really long breakdown on game performance we could no doubt get a much fairer and objective view by looking at benchmarks. For actual ryzen information this thread is next to usless.

Soldato
Hopefully the new chips are as good as intel at single core performance, then we get best of both worlds and no debate.

I am going to concede that extra logical threads has started to gain some importance as it seems in modern games dev's are optimising for 6 or 8+ threads now. I dont know how it helps, I am assuming maybe they hog a thread or something and when they not able to do that due to the thread not been there then is a performance penalty.

Comparing chrome to firefox e.g. When I fire up chrome, it will utilise all cores and start quickly. When I fire up firefox it seems bottlenecked to a single core and starts slower, ultimately firing up firefox is bound to single core performance whilst chrome isnt. I still replay various old games which are single core bound, I will likely be replaying them for years to come as well, but I also play some new games which love core count. I noticed as DX9 is dieing off the single core based games are going with it, it seems to be a DX9 thing. Even JRPG dev's are using DX11 now. Although I do miss DX9 as nothing has ever matched SGSSAA other than 4k downscaling coming close to it.

Man of Honour
Hopefully the new chips are as good as intel at single core performance, then we get best of both worlds and no debate.

I am going to concede that extra logical threads has started to gain some importance as it seems in modern games dev's are optimising for 6 or 8+ threads now. I dont know how it helps, I am assuming maybe they hog a thread or something and when they not able to do that due to the thread not been there then is a performance penalty.

Comparing chrome to firefox e.g. When I fire up chrome, it will utilise all cores and start quickly. When I fire up firefox it seems bottlenecked to a single core and starts slower, ultimately firing up firefox is bound to single core performance whilst chrome isnt. I still replay various old games which are single core bound, I will likely be replaying them for years to come as well, but I also play some new games which love core count. I noticed as DX9 is dieing off the single core based games are going with it, it seems to be a DX9 thing. Even JRPG dev's are using DX11 now. Although I do miss DX9 as nothing has ever matched SGSSAA other than 4k downscaling coming close to it.

We shall see, to me there is much more to a cpu than just game performance. While game performance to me is nice I use a machine for much more than casual gaming, yes I'm a gamer and an enthusiast but I'm also in the industry and can make good use of the chipset bandwidth, memory and disk subsystems etc so that io die, It's config, how it works and what it means for disk and memory performance are really interesting to me.

All these things are important to me and the business that I work for. I want to know metrics like db performance for sql and how they perform under heavily virtualised workloads. I mean right now my gaming machine doubles up as my workstation so has a 32 thread cpu, 64gb of ram and something like 30tb of available storage alongside a Radeon 7. It's blisteringly fast for everything I do for work and when I game for an hour of an evening it's more than capable of all the latest titles.

You see I'm just interested in technology from a multitude of aspects and I suspect there are many more like me. We like the game and single thread performance, but really it's not about pure fps it's about a massive amount more.

Man of Honour
When I fire up firefox it seems bottlenecked to a single core and starts slower, ultimately firing up firefox is bound to single core performance whilst chrome isnt.

Default settings might not be utilising multi-core enhancements in Firefox on your system though that is mostly utilised for loading/handling elements within web-pages at the expense of a lot of extra memory used. Loads up pretty quickly for me usually.

I believe the core of FF is still pretty single thread heavy but not really been a big problem for me versus other browsers.

Soldato
We shall see, to me there is much more to a cpu than just game performance. While game performance to me is nice I use a machine for much more than casual gaming, yes I'm a gamer and an enthusiast but I'm also in the industry and can make good use of the chipset bandwidth, memory and disk subsystems etc so that io die, It's config, how it works and what it means for disk and memory performance are really interesting to me.

All these things are important to me and the business that I work for. I want to know metrics like db performance for sql and how they perform under heavily virtualised workloads. I mean right now my gaming machine doubles up as my workstation so has a 32 thread cpu, 64gb of ram and something like 30tb of available storage alongside a Radeon 7. It's blisteringly fast for everything I do for work and when I game for an hour of an evening it's more than capable of all the latest titles.

You see I'm just interested in technology from a multitude of aspects and I suspect there are many more like me. We like the game and single thread performance, but really it's not about pure fps it's about a massive amount more.

This one's fair enough but... either 1-2 threads at high speed (ghz*ipc) wins (old games without multi-core awareness) or larger numbers of cores*speed total wins (everything else)?
Something server based (I'm an oracle dba by trade ;) ) is going to make the most of both cores and speed but... it becomes a case of 5ghz * 8 or 4.9ghz * 16 for the same money as... general worst case looks to have it for 9900k vs 3850x. I know which wins in that case - by... quite a margin.
There's other bits that'll matter, sure but... so long as there's no major hiccups, I/O is going to be storage IOPS limited other latency bits etc... AMD's SMT implementation is generally better than Intels until we're into HEDT territory.

We'll still have to see. I'm not making predictions. I... do struggle to see how AMD can't generally "win" in most cases, however you cut it.

If you have the "aaahhh... but <THIS> only uses 8c/16t so the 9900k at 5ghz all core wins!" type stuff going on... fine. But... do we really need to narrow it to smaller and smaller edge cases to have the Intel chip "win"?

Last edited:
Associate
286 pages of comments and it's not even got a release date yet, imagine what this will be like when they finally put us out of our misery :) haha.

Im not even going to upgrade right away but I am excited to see how they shape up, and I havent really said that about a CPU launch in a while.

Soldato
58 pages FTW.

I'm excited to see what level of performance Ryzen 3000 brings though. I'll be doing a new build for the first time in years this summer, and barring some disaster at launch, I'm 99% sure it will be a Ryzen-based machine.

Soldato

Amen, I just popped in to see if they're out yet... Can't handle the other guff.

Meh not sure how this ended up in here. Was meant to be a txt to the wife... oops.

Agreed but you can't debate with stupid

I wouldn't call her that to her face! :eek:

Man of Honour
Amen, I just popped in to see if they're out yet... Can't handle the other guff.

I wouldn't call her that to her face! :eek:

I wouldn't dare! My life wouldn't be worth living. Off topic but relevant - My mrs bought me a mug that reads "Never question your wifes choices, you are one of them"

Back
Top Bottom