Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Others in this thread have said about 100 quid. Probably can get it down to half if you waste 2 hours of your life on the phone roleplaying with retentions. But **** that.

Soldato
Not worth a quick call to find out for yourself? You could have has it all sorted by now.

In your photo which cable is which? The top one looks like what I'd expect to see on a Virgin connection and is also what's shown on the eBay listing.

Making your own cables with twist on connectors is easy enough. I can't see why they wouldn't work on a Virgin connection if the correct type of cable is used.

Why do you need to move it in the first place?

Associate
Not worth a quick call to find out for yourself? You could have has it all sorted by now.

In your photo which cable is which? The top one looks like what I'd expect to see on a Virgin connection and is also what's shown on the eBay listing.

Making your own cables with twist on connectors is easy enough. I can't see why they wouldn't work on a Virgin connection if the correct type of cable is used.

Why do you need to move it in the first place?

Last time the price went up I wasted over an hour on the phone just to knock off £3/month. Not worth it.

Top (blue) is ebay jobbie. Bottom (red) is proper Virgin. As it's just coax you're saying I can chop it and use the original terminations? I'd pay another £15 to not have to bother acquiring the tools and spending 30 mins fiddling.

Doesn't reach the table where it's on now and just want it out of the way more. Also, moving 10m will give much better signal in the iffy parts of the house on 5 GHz.

Soldato
The top blue connector is what I had on my Virgin connection years ago and is also what they used on my Mother's connection we got rid of a month or so back. The red connection looks like a push-on rather than a normal threaded connector. They should serve the same purpose.

The connections where the cable fits should be threaded. The cable you've bought should screw on and be tightened down to a reasonable level. They won't just 'clip on'.

The plugs on those cables are crimped on so won't be reusable.

Associate
The top blue connector is what I had on my Virgin connection years ago and is also what they used on my Mother's connection we got rid of a month or so back. The red connection looks like a push-on rather than a normal threaded connector. They should serve the same purpose.

The connections where the cable fits should be threaded. The cable you've bought should screw on and be tightened down to a reasonable level. They won't just 'clip on'.

The plugs on those cables are crimped on so won't be reusable.

Thanks for the reply but not 100% I'm following. You're saying I can screw the whole cable in? I get that the Virgin ones are push to connect but with the new cable there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to stay on and in any case the socket seems much too long to make a connection.

By pushing with a huge amount of force I can turn the nut enough to get it to stay for a couple of minutes but as I said, it doesn't find a channel when held down like this anyway.

Associate
Thanks for the reply but not 100% I'm following. You're saying I can screw the whole cable in? I get that the Virgin ones are push to connect but with the new cable there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to stay on and in any case the socket seems much too long to make a connection.

By pushing with a huge amount of force I can turn the nut enough to get it to stay for a couple of minutes but as I said, it doesn't find a channel when held down like this anyway.
No he says that standard virgin media connectors are the screw in ones and that's how mine was. Hub 3.0 has a screw in socket as well.
Which router do you have..?

Soldato
The connection points are quite long, this doesn't matter as long as the cables are connected correctly.

Attached correctly those cables will not ever fall off, you should need a spanner to remove them.

Associate
The connection points are quite long, this doesn't matter as long as the cables are connected correctly.

Attached correctly those cables will not ever fall off, you should need a spanner to remove them.

Well then I'm a muppet cos I cant for the life of me work out how to attach them. Do you screw the whole cable or what?

Soldato
Make sure the central pin/wire goes into its hole. If they aren't cut cleanly they can snag.

Push plug in until the threaded nut is touching the threads on the connector.

Rotate nut clockwise until it's tight (several turns). This may require a spanner or pliers to get completely tight, but don't overdo it.

If you're really stuck post some pictures. It's possible that there's something going on that you aren't mentioning (or you are a muppet).

Associate
Make sure the central pin/wire goes into its hole. If they aren't cut cleanly they can snag.

Push plug in until the threaded nut is touching the threads on the connector.

Rotate nut clockwise until it's tight (several turns). This may require a spanner or pliers to get completely tight, but don't overdo it.

Yeah this is what I'm doing. It doesn't seem to "go in" nearly as much as the push connector. I tried again earlier and after 15 mins managed to get enough connection for downstream but can't get any upstream even after some time.

Constantly stuck on Downsteam "Scanning" and Upstream can't find a channel says "Locked" the whole time. This is what the Hub said.

ypW7Mpx.png
GsAgYbS.png
j0IcTv9.png

Associate
Just looked at your picture of both connectors and the screw in one has a thicker core..
Could it be too thick to go in to the hole of the socket..?

Last edited:

APM

APM

Associate
You can get virgin media cable extender kits on flea bay,all it is is some coax and a joiner piece and some screw on connectors though.

Soldato
Hello all, quick question: I've just bought a smart TV and want to plug my Virgin BB straight into it - do I need a router or some kind of Virgin-cable-to-ethernet plug adapter?

• The hub is elsewhere in the house. I already have a wifi booster but I'd prefer to not attach the TV to the wifi if possible.
  • The TV is situated right next to where the Virgin Tivo cable comes in (we recently stopped that service and now just have BB).

Any help appreciated as this is new to me. I've been on the Virgin community for an hour and can't find a solution.

Soldato
It seems daft that I can't use the Virgin broadband cable that's coming out of the wall next to the TV.

I could run a cable from the hub in the dining room to the TV in the lounge but it is not ideal. I'd have thought this would be easy, aargh.

Caporegime
You can take out another subscription and plug another Hub into that second coaxial outlet if you want, that’s the only way to use it. Unless your TV has a DVB-C tuner and you’re talking about getting TV on the TV and not Internet.

Soldato
You can take out another subscription and plug another Hub into that second coaxial outlet if you want, that’s the only way to use it. Unless your TV has a DVB-C tuner and you’re talking about getting TV on the TV and not Internet.

They won't do two Superhubs at the same property.

The only way for OP to do it is either via a cat 5 cable, powerline plugs, or wi-fi. He can move the superhub downstairs and connect directly, but then he has to use the same connection methods to go back to (presumably) where his PC is.

It seems daft that I can't use the Virgin broadband cable that's coming out of the wall next to the TV.

It doesn't work that way. It's like asking why you can't cook your dinner out of the gas line that goes to your boiler, because your oven is in another room. The Superhub is the termination that comes into the house and from there everything else flows. You need the SH to decode the internet off the cable, you can't get a signal off it otherwise.

Soldato
Renewal time, been on a years VIP 350mb service with all TV channels with 2 TiVo boxes, was paying 79 plus 2 quid caller ID and was due to rise to £129.
Renewal best I could get was same package but 200mb service for 90. Only bit I'm a little annoyed is the customer services girl said I'd still be getting 20mb upload when that was a lie.

Back
Top Bottom