Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Soldato
I feel no guilt whatsoever that my people and nation were strong enough to create a wealthy modern society. If I have privilege relative to someones whose family immigrated here a generation ago, what of it?

Capodecina
Soldato
I feel no guilt whatsoever that my people and nation were strong enough to create a wealthy modern society. . . .
Who exactly are "Your (strong) people"?

Have you considered that "strong" people may not exclusively have "created" a wealthy society? There may have been a certain amount of theft, slavery and oppression involved - that doesn't seem to be a cause for pride.

Permabanned
And without Mesopotamia there wouldn’t be a Europe, stop being vicariously vainglorious. The continued prosperity is not inherent to Europe beyond being a relatively stable arable landmass, indeed the first civilisations collapsed because of environmental damage... and we are repeating it as usual.

One only need to look at the increasingly moronic beliefs in the age of infinite access to information, to say that we are no better than that which collapsed.

Really? displaying pride and pointing out the accomplishments of a group of people is enough to trigger some people it seems. ;)

Capodecina
Soldato
Wikipedia said:
Pride is considered, on almost every list, the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins: the perversion of the faculties that make humans more like God—dignity and holiness.
Seems kinda relevant, especially where "pride" is in the achievements of others and in no way connected with the "Proud" person.

Is it OK to be proud to be Ginger? How about black haired? What about being blonde, or bald? These things do not elicit pride. Things which should garner pride is an achievement such as passing a difficult exam or test. Being promoted or someone admiring the work you have done. There is no reason to be proud of something you had nothing to do with.

Soldato
Is it OK to be proud to be Ginger? How about black haired? What about being blonde, or bald? These things do not elicit pride. Things which should garner pride is an achievement such as passing a difficult exam or test. Being promoted or someone admiring the work you have done. There is no reason to be proud of something you had nothing to do with.

You don't need to directly be involved in an achievement to feel pride for it. Can I be proud to be English if the England football team win the world cup? can I be proud of my Grandad or Dad? No?

Caporegime
You don't need to directly be involved in an achievement to feel pride for it. Can I be proud to be English if the England football team win the world cup? can I be proud of my Grandad or Dad? No?

If it doesn’t define you, then yes. Otherwise it’s deeply offensive in my eye, you should attempt to best what came before, using it as a building block - not as a facade.

Capodecina
Soldato
I see more than enough stolen valour (probably the wrong term, can’t think of the right one) in the run up to rememberence Sunday, utter ***** chavs thinking they had any part in something making a total mockery of the event.
I would certainly agree that nobody "who wasn't there at the time" can assert either pride or valour in or on Remembrance Sunday.

Gratitude and sorrow for the bravery and frequently the pointless sacrifice of others but not pride - "Lions led by donkeys".

Permabanned

It's the new world where we're not allowed any kind of group identity and nationalism is frowned upon.

Soldato
Who exactly are "Your (strong) people"?

Have you considered that "strong" people may not exclusively have "created" a wealthy society? There may have been a certain amount of theft, slavery and oppression involved - that doesn't seem to be a cause for pride.

The British people.

Why should I be bothered if theft, slavery and oppression was involved? Everyone was doing it, we were just strong enough to do it better.

Soldato
Or does that automatically make you racist?

I do not think that this would ever be acceptable for a white person to say. What do you think?

not sure it makes you a racist but also not sure what there is to be proud of a genetic trait we have no control of (same with black or coloured btw).

does anyone ever say "i am proud to have blonde hair"?.

but then many people are proud of their country - ie proud to be English or what ever... and i use the same logic there.

I am proud (or not) of my actions and accomplishments, not of my ethnicity or where i happen to have popped out of my mum! - things which i have no control of or input into.

So, i would say "I am proud to be white" is a strange statement but not necessarily a racist one

Soldato
By "White people" you mean YOU have been conditioned to have low self-esteem?

By whom I wonder:confused:

I'm meaning in the sense that a lot of white people in this country arent proud of living here and are not thankful for the society we have. While on the other hand we have non-White immigrants risking their lives in rubber dingy's crossing the seas or being locked in the back of trucks just to get here. Those people DO appreciate what this country as to offer.

Caporegime
I'm meaning in the sense that a lot of white people in this country arent proud of living here and are not thankful for the society we have. While on the other hand we have non-White immigrants risking their lives in rubber dingy's crossing the seas or being locked in the back of trucks just to get here. Those people DO appreciate what this country as to offer.

I'm very thankful/lucky to be born here and have the life I have.

I'm not "proud" to live here though, as it wasn't my achievement.

Soldato
I'm very thankful/lucky to be born here and have the life I have.

I'm not "proud" to live here though, as it wasn't my achievement.

I can see what your saying. Though maybe you didnt achieve everything but if by your own actions you have contributed positively to a society then you should be able to take a 'little' credit for your part?

Back
Top Bottom