Is it ok to be proud to be white?

Soldato
I just don't under how, by definition, one could say they are proud to be white.

Personally I don't see how you can be proud of anything you inherit.
That is a ridiculous comment. You are saying you can't be proud of a car or even a picture that your father or mother left you in a will?

In answer to the OP, of course you can be proud to be white. Same as you can be proud to be anything you are or want to be.

Its part of human free thinking and freedom of the mind to be proud of anything you want to be proud about in my opinion.

Caporegime
I’m not proud of being white. It’s just a skin colour.

I am proud of my country though. The history and pageantry of England, the beauty of our countryside and coastlines, the spirit of our citizens and the bravery of the soldiers. I’m also proud of our food. Some people think it’s boring, but whoever decided to put sausages in Yorkshire pudding is ******* culinary genius to match Albert Roux!

There’s lots to be proud of in this country, despite what the people who constantly want to mudsling throw at it, but with regards to the subject, no, there’s absolutely no point in being proud of something about your anatomy that you cannot control. It’s like being proud of having two lungs. Totally pointless.

Caporegime
The definition of proud as some people seem unaware of it tbh

feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.
"a proud grandma of three boys"
synonyms: pleased (with), glad (about/at), happy (about/at/with), delighted (about/at/with), joyful (at), overjoyed (at/over), thrilled (at/about/by/with), well pleased (with), satisfied (with), gratified (at), content (at), appreciative (of)
"Moira was a delight to her proud parents"

Soldato
The definition of proud as some people seem unaware of it tbh

feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.
"a proud grandma of three boys"
synonyms: pleased (with), glad (about/at), happy (about/at/with), delighted (about/at/with), joyful (at), overjoyed (at/over), thrilled (at/about/by/with), well pleased (with), satisfied (with), gratified (at), content (at), appreciative (of)
"Moira was a delight to her proud parents"

I was hoping my comment would make people actually look up the definition of the word. But you're right, better to put it here for people to actually know what the word means.

Imagine someone leaving you a classic car worth a mint. And saying to my friends, "I'm so proud!"... Really, proud?

"I'm so proud on my white skin"...

You what?!? Nah wrong word.

Soldato
I was hoping my comment would make people actually look up the definition of the word. But you're right, better to put it here for people to actually know what the word means.

Imagine someone leaving you a classic car worth a mint. And saying to my friends, I'm so proud! Really, proud?

I'm so proud on my white heritage.

You what?!?
So you don't think someone can be proud if a possession that was given to them like a classic car?

I'm proud of my country and the ground that it is part of. I own a part of it so I can be proud of it so what's the problem with that?

Caporegime

Imagine someone leaving you a classic car worth a mint. And saying to my friends, I'm so proud! Really, proud?

I'm so proud on my white heritage.

You what?!?

But that definition clearly shows that you can be proud of possessions.

What people can be proud of doesn’t always fit your conventions.

It’s like when people say “I’ve got a new baby, I’m so proud” Why? The thing does nothing but sleep, eat, cry and **** all day long. Why are you proud of it?

Soldato
But that definition clearly shows that you can be proud of possessions.

What people can be proud of doesn’t always fit your conventions.

It’s like when people say “I’ve got a new baby, I’m so proud” Why? The thing does nothing but sleep, eat, cry and **** all day long. Why are you proud of it?

Agreed. I think the key here is what is it about the thing you are proud of? Typically because of what it represents in some way.

If my dad left me a very expensive sports car (which he doesn't have). I might be proud of my dad's success, which he showed through his ability to buy a nice car. But I wouldn't be proud of the car.

Like I could never be proud of the colour of my skin. It's too generic and broad.. I,m proud to be human?

Soldato
So as a white male, should I be feeling guilty about something?
That's not what that particular debate is about. It went like this:
I find it odd that skin colour is a no go but any physical trait you can say x y z and it can just be laughed off.

Whats that all about then?
A history of killing, enslaving, persecuting and discriminating people based on their race, perhaps?

Or maybe it's just SJWs being dicks.

Who knows.
Thats history, no one who forced those historical acts is alive today.
You're saying there's no living history of persecution of people based on their race?!
I did not say that did i...
Well, you did.

Because I said there was a history of persecution, and you said everyone involved is dead.

Etc

Caporegime
That's not what that particular debate is about. It went like this:

Etc
I still find it disgraceful that you are pretty much saying you should carry the guilt and not feel the way you do because your ancestors, who lived many many years ago, did some terrible things. Every races ancestors did horrible things in one way or another, so why shouldn’t they feel ashamed too?

Soldato
I still find it disgraceful that you are pretty much saying you should carry the guilt and not feel the way you do because your ancestors, who lived many many years ago, did some terrible things. Every races ancestors did horrible things in one way or another, so why shouldn’t they feel ashamed too?
I'm not. I'm saying race is a touchy area because it's been used right up until the present day to persecute and discriminate. The cost of that is that we've lost the privilege of being able to tell race jokes.

Try to follow the conversation and you'll get more out of it.

Soldato
For myself I think it's a bit odd to think of feeling 'proud' of something you have no control over, such as skin colour, height, nationality at birth, eye colour etc where as I can definitely understand people being proud of 'achievements' that are earned instead.

However, just because I personally find it odd doesn't mean that those who are proud of skin colour etc are wrong and I'm right, we just think differently thats all.

Caporegime
For myself I think it's a bit odd to think of feeling 'proud' of something you have no control over, such as skin colour, height, nationality at birth, eye colour etc where as I can definitely understand people being proud of 'achievements' that are earned instead.

However, just because I personally find it odd doesn't mean that those who are proud of skin colour etc are wrong and I'm right, we just think differently thats all.
I agree with that, but it’s one of society’s problems today in that liberals are adamant that their way of thinking is the right way and try to block anyone who thinks differently from airing their views, or just shouts them down as racists, fascists etc.

Back
Top Bottom