On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Associate
A

Totally get this. I live with my partner. Our social circle and their age group are typical i.e. 99% drink and on occasion drink to excess. I don't think me leaving her to it at a social do or not going would go down to well.

That said at home with her or on my own it doesn't bother me.

Never said it was easy and ultimately you'll have to find out what works for you. Being the designated driver will help if you can.

On the girlfriend front you might be surprised - I've found that sometimes people have used me as an excuse to leave earlier than they would overwise get away with. "I'm going to have to head, monkeys driving and wants to leave". Drivers and non drinkers get much more scope to politely excuse themselves than drinkers do. Not going to work every time, but the chances are if you're bored she might be too. Equally she might only be going to Uncle Bob's 67th birthday because you are. You might find she's as unenthusiastic about a night out as you are if if you're honest about not wanting to go. Again it won't happen every time but it might help 'limit your exposure'.

Of course all this leaving early and ducking out can make you feel like a dull boy. Personally I made a concerted effort to make time for friends doing non drinking things so my non attendance at night's out didn't affect our friendship. Sometimes I'll join them for dinner but leave shortly after. I'd also try and do nice things with your girlfriend on nights should be at Uncle Bobs 67th. Made me feel less like I was missing out.

My final piece of advice is don't make a big fuss about not drinking. When someone asks you what you'd like to drink just say 'Coke, please'. I used to think people would expect an explanation for my choice of non alcoholic drink but usually they don't and even if they do, its up to me to decide if I want to give it. I usually just say I'm driving if asked, even if I'm not.

Soldato
Had a drink on new years eve, was ok and then on the day again, started feeling like i could easily slip back into my old ways and felt pretty sick by then, wont be touching it again for the rest of the year.

Soldato
Well i lied, i must have drank at least five litres of vodka and nine ciders in the last few days and felt like i was going to die detoxing off it yesterday, even could feel like my body was going to have a fit.

I never ate any food because i couldn't, stopped showering and even brushing my teeth and hardly slept at all, had to tell work today i was simply ill but was worried phoning them because my heart was pounding so hard i couldn't speak right.

I'm going to try my very best to go for years this time instead of the ten months i'd done before because i'm sure my body cant put up with that another time.

I think it will take another week at least to feel human again.

Soldato
Well i lied, i must have drank at least five litres of vodka and nine ciders in the last few days and felt like i was going to die detoxing off it yesterday, even could feel like my body was going to have a fit.

I never ate any food because i couldn't, stopped showering and even brushing my teeth and hardly slept at all, had to tell work today i was simply ill but was worried phoning them because my heart was pounding so hard i couldn't speak right.

I'm going to try my very best to go for years this time instead of the ten months i'd done before because i'm sure my body cant put up with that another time.

Wow mate that’s a lot of booze.

I had a similar experience that put me of booze for life.

Soldato

please dont take this the wrong way but seek help if not done so already. 5 litres of vodka?

Soldato
My last binge was in a remote cottage near Loch Rannoch a few years back. Cava, Stella with some white wine for good measure. I was with the GF luckily, facing that heavy comedown alone would have been torture.

Soldato
I was planning a couple of weeks driving since I passed my motorbike test but ended up going mental on vodka and never even touched the bike, in fact I forgot I had it.

Update I'm in the hospital now with a drip in me getting fed vallium because I felt I was going to have a fit at work, hadn't drank anything though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was planning a couple of weeks driving since I passed my motorbike test but ended up going mental on vodka and never even touched the bike, in fact I forgot I had it.

Update I'm in the hospital now with a drip in me getting fed vallium because I felt I was going to have a fit at work, hadn't drank anything though.
bloody hell, how are you now?

Soldato
bloody hell, how are you now?

I got out earlier today, i'm glad i called the ambulance (it was embarassing because i've been delivering to the same area for seven years) now because if i tried to finish my postal delivery i don't know how it would have ended up, i really think i would have had convulsions.

I was put on a drip and they gave me Six bags of sodium something, it was Yellow, not sure if it was saline or what not and also gave me quite a few valiums.

They also took around eight blood samples and game me an ultrasound that showed a fatty liver but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was the first time i have been in a hospital since i was a toddler and i hope it's the last although i was treaty very well by the staff there.

The thing is, this all happened three days after i had stopped drinking and i thought i was over the worst of it, that's the reason i went back to work, NEVER AGAIN!.

Soldato
Yeah, i get it, i'm done with it, if ending up in hospital and having to call an ambulance at work doesn't end it then nothing will.

Bare in mind this isn't drinking i was doing after the bender i went on before, this is the effects of it three days later when i thought i was on the mend.

I've managed to do a self cert for work until Thursday so i should be back to normal then it's onwards and upwards from here on out.

Good luck to everyone else and just STAY AWAY FROM THE DRINK, there is NOTHING fun about it apart from the first few drinks going from being sober to getting that feeling in you then it's just nothing but negativity.

Soldato
Yeah, i get it, i'm done with it, if ending up in hospital and having to call an ambulance at work doesn't end it then nothing will.

Bare in mind this isn't drinking i was doing after the bender i went on before, this is the effects of it three days later when i thought i was on the mend.

I've managed to do a self cert for work until Thursday so i should be back to normal then it's onwards and upwards from here on out.

Good luck to everyone else and just STAY AWAY FROM THE DRINK, there is NOTHING fun about it apart from the first few drinks going from being sober to getting that feeling in you then it's just nothing but negativity.

hey dude, good luck. Keep the positive thoughts and stay of the wet stuff

Back
Top Bottom