On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Associate
Well less disappointment and England in the semi finals. I'm a couple of days off the 5 months mark. How's everyone else doing with heat ?

Not enjoying the heat though I don't suppose it will be that long until I'm looking wistfully back at the heat as I shiver in the dark cold winter. All well sobriety wise though, sneaking closer to my 3 year anniversary in October

Congratulations on your 5 months mate, that's awesome

Soldato
Well done to all those who have realised they have a problem and done something about it. What made you stop and realise you needed to do something about it?

I am trying to continue to enjoy alcohol responsibly, for me this means that I 1). Only drink in the evening, or at an event if it's earlier in the day. 2). Limit how much I drink in one day. I like the Belgian stuff but it can be strong, so I'll try to limit to no more than 2 in an evening. 3). Enforce days when I have no alcohol at all.

So far the balance has worked well for me.

Associate
Well done to all those who have realised they have a problem and done something about it. What made you stop and realise you needed to do something about it?

I am trying to continue to enjoy alcohol responsibly, for me this means that I 1). Only drink in the evening, or at an event if it's earlier in the day. 2). Limit how much I drink in one day. I like the Belgian stuff but it can be strong, so I'll try to limit to no more than 2 in an evening. 3). Enforce days when I have no alcohol at all.

I realised something was wrong when I tried all sorts of things like your rules, only drinking certain amounts, only drinking on certain days, only drinking certain drinks etc and failed to abide by them. There was mysteriously always a read on to drink earlier, have 'one' more, drink on an 'off' day or drink a drink I had banned - it became quite clear that I wasn't in charge. Quitting or cutting down was something I did so often that when I finally did put down the bottle even I wasn't sure it would stay down. In short I stopped because I couldn't achieve and maintain the balance youre talking about.

Glad things are workingfor you. Long may it continue

Soldato

To answer your question:-
  • I got fed up of the hangovers
  • Bored of drinking
  • Had my fun with it and to my knowledge my health still intact
  • Health if I continued
  • The cost of drink
I drunk most if not every night probably a bottle of wine and beer, it became tedious looking back. If I remember correctly in November its 4 years since I last had a beer.

Associate
Not enjoying the heat though I don't suppose it will be that long until I'm looking wistfully back at the heat as I shiver in the dark cold winter. All well sobriety wise though, sneaking closer to my 3 year anniversary in October

Congratulations on your 5 months mate, that's awesome

3 years - that's the level I am aspiring to! Hopefully it cools down a little soon.

Associate

Glad to hear the balance is working for you. I stopped because I couldn't maintain the balance that I wanted. The tap was either off or on or on full pelt in my case. I was using alcohol to try and control other issues, whilst it worked short term the reality the next day of having to deal with them without wasn't pretty, and even more so for others around me.

Soldato
Well, the doc put me on medication possibly for life that's hard on your liver.

I'll need to have regular blood tests to make sure my liver is ok, and I've been told I 100% must stick to government guidelines for alcohol.

I'm feeling quite bitter about the fact I'll probably never be able to be drunk again, but I was drinking too much before, so I guess it will be a positive thing in the long term. I guess I was a binge drinker, I would drink say 5 cans on beer in a night, twice a week which probably isn't that unusual. I never keep excess alcohol in the house though, as if I had more, I'd end up drinking 8 - 9 cans then be up at 6:30am needing to drive to work knowing I was blatantly going to be over the limit :S

I would say I was ok, but was on that slippery slope for sure.

I would have much rather addressed it on my own terms another time, but what can you do.

Soldato

I'll need to have regular blood tests to make sure my liver is ok, and I've been told I 100% must stick to government guidelines for alcohol.

I'm feeling quite bitter about the fact I'll probably never be able to be drunk again, but I was drinking too much before, so I guess it will be a positive thing in the long term. I guess I was a binge drinker, I would drink say 5 cans on beer in a night, twice a week which probably isn't that unusual. I never keep excess alcohol in the house though, as if I had more, I'd end up drinking 8 - 9 cans then be up at 6:30am needing to drive to work knowing I was blatantly going to be over the limit :S

I would have much rather addressed it on my own terms another time, but what can you do.

Today is the first day I've struggled with staying within the "government guidelines". I'm currently sat in the garden on my 3rd 330ml beer. The guidelines say no more for today, yet my brain tells me another 3... or 9? would be good lol.

It's been a ****** day today, really struggled with work, and last week the doc said she doesn't really know if my fatigue will improve and they don't have any magic pills to make it better.

Lesson learnt, don't drink when your feeling down...

I won't drink anymore tonight, so don't worry, just venting.

Associate
Today is the first day I've struggled with staying within the "government guidelines". I'm currently sat in the garden on my 3rd 330ml beer. The guidelines say no more for today, yet my brain tells me another 3... or 9? would be good lol.

It's been a ****** day today, really struggled with work, and last week the doc said she doesn't really know if my fatigue will improve and they don't have any magic pills to make it better.

Lesson learnt, don't drink when your feeling down...

I won't drink anymore tonight, so don't worry, just venting.

I’m on methotrexate as well, the tiredness does get better, but drinking definitely doesn’t help.

Soldato
Over Six months without a drop for me, not planning on touching it for the rest of the year.

Having a hobby has helped massively, first it was an e-bike and that has now turned into getting a motorbike and i'm loving it.

All the best everyone.

Soldato

What medication is it?
5 cans two nights a week doesn't seem that bad, has it caused some notable damage?

If it has then putting you on medication that is hard itself on the liver seems odd..

Last edited:
Soldato
gave up drinking many years ago. overdid it one day on an all-day sesh for a mate's leaving do. had been out about 9 hours and said goodbye to him in the middle of town, woke up just after midnight on the top deck of a bus parked in the depot :-/ no idea how i got there, paid the fare, got upstairs. walked 3 miles home and haven't drank since, really - used to get some six packs of the small Woodpecker bottle for xmas now and again but last of those was about a decade ago. binned pop mostly too, just drink milk and water 95% of the time, or coffee w/ my meals.

Soldato
Just on my seventh beer-free day here.

I hadn't been deep in the sauce like some of the stories I've read, but it had definitely become a bad habit that had left me overweight and feeling unhealthy after a few years slipping back into it.

I wasn't getting particularly drunk, wasn't passing out at night, wasn't having blackouts or anything like that - but it was persistent heavier-than-is-healthy drinking. Like four or five cans of beer almost every night as the kids went to bed, and that going up to six or seven from Thursday to Sunday. I stuck to lower alcohol lager (3.5-4%) to try to mitigate the impact, but it was still, of course, far more than is healthy (I guess it was an average of eight units Mon-Weds and 10-12 Thurs-Sun - so around 70 per week!). Once a fortnight or so I'd somehow end up having around 20 units and feeling absolutely **** for a couple of days. Basically, I was in a rut. I couldn't think of what to do in the evening unless I got some beer in, and I felt I had to get at least four or five in so I wouldn't worry about running out (this was a warning sign that things were not in control!). This had been going on since around mid-2015.

I was more than a stone overweight, flabby, and feeling generally lethargic. My mental health was deteriorating noticeably as well.

When we went on holiday last month I resolved to use it to be more active and to drink less. I only had a couple of beers each night, and swam about a mile a day - and started to feel a lot better.

Unfortunately, my first week back at home (and back at work) I fell right back into my old habits and did no exercise at all and drank the same old amounts again.

Then last Monday I caught sight of myself in the mirror (I'd been avoiding full-body mirrors for some time...) and resolved I had to change.

That was the last night I had a beer, and I've been back on my intermittent fasting diet and lifting weights again to try to improve things.

Had two almost sleepless nights at first, but I already feel ten times better than I have done in a couple of years.

I hope I can keep it up this time. I think I need the pull of exercise and physical improvement. Whenever I've quit over the past two years without weight lifting I've always relapsed. As my wife says, I'm all or nothing! So I'm counting calories and macros, timing meals, drinking protein shakes, recording workouts. No desire for alcohol at all right now and I feel healthy, alert and happy. I need to remember that, and to remember how lethargic and grotty I feel when I have beer every night!

Probably my first real test will be when I have to get the evening train home tomorrow - I pass an offie on the way to the station and it was my habit to start the evening with a beer or two on the train if it was leaving after 5pm...

How do people find alcohol free beer? been drinking way to much lately and want to look at cutting back.

I never found it helpful. I'm not sure how generalisable this is, but for me drinking alcohol-free beer just meant I was thinking about beer and actively trying to deny myself the alcohol. The beer-like taste always kicked off my desire for more (proper) beer anyway.

Some of it tastes quite nice, but generally the more well-regarded ones I've found a bit hoppy for my liking (can't remember the names now, though).

UPDATE: Well, I successfully avoided the temptation of train beer on my two early evening journeys this week, which I am pleased about. Also feels good making an estimate of the money I've saved just in 10 days or so of not buying beer all the damn time...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom