• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
8 cores will in the next year be the normal for new games. at the moment its 6. you wont suddenly jump to 12 cores as that would making games just not sell. they have to be able to sell to people.

Soldato
8 cores will in the next year be the normal for new games. at the moment its 6. you wont suddenly jump to 12 cores as that would making games just not sell. they have to be able to sell to people.

think technically its still 4 cores. scroll through the hundreds released games over steam and find its 4 cores recommended or 8 threads high end, all dx11 and not utilising all the cores .
seems every one on here always quotes the AAA titles which still are poorly coded :(

6/8 core versions of ryzen 3000 should sell well, very well if they can hit 4.6/7ghz overclocked all cores and have a nice low price .

think i'll gun for which ever one can give the highest clock speed or match 9700k in 1080p high hz gaming for cheaper :D

Caporegime
yeah im talking upto date. you can still play most games on a high hz 4 core just a x6 and 4.5ghz is ideally what you want at the moment. in about a year a 8 and high hz will be the mainstay of modern gaming.

Soldato

People do more than play games. Anyone who does photo or video editing, digital art or content creation, runs any kind of server from their PC, (even if only for something like Plex or Serviio) will benefit from more cores. If it's there, people will buy it just because they can as future proofing, unless the pricing is crazy.

Soldato
think technically its still 4 cores. scroll through the hundreds released games over steam and find its 4 cores recommended or 8 threads high end, all dx11 and not utilising all the cores .
seems every one on here always quotes the AAA titles which still are poorly coded :(

6/8 core versions of ryzen 3000 should sell well, very well if they can hit 4.6/7ghz overclocked all cores and have a nice low price .

think i'll gun for which ever one can give the highest clock speed or match 9700k in 1080p high hz gaming for cheaper :D

For this reason I'm thinking the 3600x would be better due to it generating less heat on an all core overclock, especially on air cooling. Who knows though... Can safely bet it will be better value for money than the 3700x for gamers (all I use my desktop for, I don't stream etc).

Soldato
A hint of what's to come from other motherboard manufactures courtesy of Biostar, (Videocards link).

BIOSTAR-X570-RACING-GT8-Specifications-1-1000x1384.png

Soldato
People do more than play games. Anyone who does photo or video editing, digital art or content creation, runs any kind of server from their PC, (even if only for something like Plex or Serviio) will benefit from more cores. If it's there, people will buy it just because they can as future proofing, unless the pricing is crazy.

If the 3600x offers the best value for money as a purely gaming CPU, that might be my preferred option.
If cores become more useful over 8 in the future then you could buy a second hand 3800x, or the next revision when required. I don't think overspending now as future proofing on a socket that has potential it necessarily the best option for everyone.

Soldato
A hint of what's to come from other motherboard manufactures courtesy of Biostar, (Videocards link).

BIOSTAR-X570-RACING-GT8-Specifications-1-1000x1384.png

i did mention expect to see higher phases then x570 .

though didnt see biostar, still surprising its that high from them . wondering what mostfet units have been used.

guessing its 10+2

as we've seen from Gigabte/aorus, dont need the best, just a lot with good cooling

4000hz, sounds like from leaks, IMC has only received slight tweak . Samsung B-Die.... which is no ceasing production and ryzen ram calculator should see slight gains over current x470/2700x

nice to see 3 xm.2 slots are running full speed :D

better pick here

https://www.eteknix.com/biostar-leaks-their-own-x570-flagship-motherboard/

VRM set up fro their X470

Phases: 4 + 2
PWM Controller: IR35201
CPU: 8x IR3555 interleaved with IR3599
SOC: 4x IR3555 interleaved with IR3599

60amps for IR 3555- dont actually need to change it to be honest .

though expect likes of Aorus, MSI and Asus to be higher !

Last edited:
Associate
I'm bored with Zen 2 by now so when are we going to see the next real innovation that pushes performance significantly?
Anything on the horizon?

Zen 2 is important to me due to power efficiency and more than likely cost.
Both are very important metrics but not that sexy.

Soldato
I'm bored with Zen 2 by now so when are we going to see the next real innovation that pushes performance significantly?
Anything on the horizon?

Zen 2 is important to me due to power efficiency and more than likely cost.
Both are very important metrics but not that sexy.
Define "performance".

We're not getting higher frequencies any more, in fact we may see frequency regression. 6nm and 5nm nodes are coming but that's going to be power and area saving. Silicon is at its limit for pure number gains. Modular designs with chiplets are the way forward for now until some new material can be used, or we go full-on sci-fi with Quantum computer or biomechanical.

But to be honest if the concept of a truly modular approach to systems design with chiplets and 3D stacking technologies bores you then you might want to explore other interests. How did you not lose your mind at that 15-chiplet Milan package speculation?

Man of Honour
Define "performance".

We're not getting higher frequencies any more, in fact we may see frequency regression. 6nm and 5nm nodes are coming but that's going to be power and area saving. Silicon is at its limit for pure number gains. Modular designs with chiplets are the way forward for now until some new material can be used, or we go full-on sci-fi with Quantum computer or biomechanical.

But to be honest if the concept of a truly modular approach to systems design with chiplets and 3D stacking technologies bores you then you might want to explore other interests. How did you not lose your mind at that 15-chiplet Milan package speculation?

~5nm is about 15-20% potential frequency gain at the same power level over 7nm which isn't too bad. With tuning higher frequency gains should be possible.

EDIT: I'm always a bit cautious about the claims of low or negative performance scaling as often they seem to originate from people who have a grudge against a company using the process or against the semi-conductor fab itself, sometimes using spin on a cautious outlook from the fab company in question, and the matured yields generally have some kind of frequency gain. I remember when a certain site was running with the story that 16FF was such a fail it wouldn't offer any gains over 28nm even heh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom