I can't figure out how scales would work with big boxes

Associate
I'm trying to weigh big boxes. The boxes are say 60x60x60 (cm)

All the scales I see for relatively fair prices are around 25-30cm. Obviously if I put a 60cm box on this I am going to have "overhang" is the only thing I can describe it as.

The thing my brain can't comprehend is, will I get accurate weight measurements even with overhang or will the whole box need to be put on say a 60c+m scale?

Commissario
depending on the weight of the package bathroom scales can be/are pretty good for working out to within a couple of hundred grams for larger items (if you can't see the read out on the smaller scales).

What I tend to do is if I can get the box balanced on them I'll use the kitchen scales (sometimes zero'd with a bit of thin ply or a small tray on it to provide support for boxes that are sagging), or the bathroom scales.

Soldato
Luggage scales and just use a strap around the box then connect to scale. (minus the strap weight at the end)

If using normal kitchen/bathroom scales put a 'spacer' object on (empty Celebrations/Heroes tub), zero, put box on spacer. Then you can till see the readout.

Soldato

All the scales I see for relatively fair prices are around 25-30cm. Obviously if I put a 60cm box on this I am going to have "overhang" is the only thing I can describe it as.

The thing my brain can't comprehend is, will I get accurate weight measurements even with overhang or will the whole box need to be put on say a 60c+m scale?

Please tell me that this is a wind up.

Caporegime

No, of course not, the scale reduces the gravity affecting the box. On the overhang parts where there's a clear line of sight between the box and the floor, the gravity will be stronger and the scale won't be able to calculate it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've said it before, sometimes I just read this forum to reassure myself I am not yet mentally challenged.

Haha yep. I spend all day surrounded by Ph.D students and post docs. who all seem massively intelligent as they know their topic inside out and I feel like a fraud (impostor syndrome ftw!) then I come on here in an evening and everything is right with the world again :)

Soldato
Just do it in sections.
Balance the box with all the overhang on one side and weigh the bit on the scales, then move it across and weigh the bit that was overhanging. Add the 2 (or more) sections together to get total weight.

Back
Top Bottom