• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Hi guys, I was hoping some of you might know what to do.
I recently installed a water block on my Radeon VII. After installing it, I started playing with power mods and such.
After applying a power mod of 1300mv to the core, I have had extreme stability issues at stock settings ever since. I have even tried reinstalling Windows and also attempted running benchmarks in Linux.
Right now the only stable setting for my card seems to be 1750mhz@1125mv (which is crazy high voltage).
Have I fried my card with too much voltage? Is there anything I can do?

I appreciate any help regarding this stupid mistake of mine..

Anything over 1.22 isn't wise for every day, 1.25 you're really playing with fire. 1.30 ... it simply isn't designed for that. You might get lucky and have one that stands it for a while ... some might brick on first stress test. For a lot of cards that's likely a suicide run ... probably most of them.

You're lucky it's working at all IMO.

Associate
Hasn't Radeon VII production finished already? Unlikely to be any new blocks if that's the case.
I heard yes

If it is, that likely means we see big Navi in late Q3 or very early Q4 this year.

I've said before, but I'm really sceptical they'll do that so early if it's going to be on TSMC 7nm. Navi 10 will dilute demand for the VII anyway, so there may be enough dies for VII now just from the Instinct rejects / excess chips, or with little extra.

They're going to need all the 7nm wafers they can get if they're going to be able to fulfil Zen 2 demand, and fill Navi orders. Do they really want to provoke more demand for their non Zen 2 7nm products at this stage? Zen will almost certainly have better margins, and will take more share out of Intel than big Navi would out of NVIDIA.

But maybe TSMC have managed to accommodate them, or big Navi will appear on Samsung 7nm LPP EUV (it's ready and *maybe* there would be enough capacity) ... no chance of TSMC 7nm+ EUV at this stage - not enough capacity, ready later, and all going to the mobile chips.

Associate
Anything over 1.22 isn't wise for every day, 1.25 you're really playing with fire. 1.30 ... it simply isn't designed for that. You might get lucky and have one that stands it for a while ... some might brick on first stress test. For a lot of cards that's likely a suicide run ... probably most of them.

You're lucky it's working at all IMO.

Thanks for the response. The reason I did it was because no matter what voltage I put it on, I was never able to OC the card to more than 1900mhz.
Oh well, lesson learned the hard way. I guess I will be using this card until a better card comes along. And I'll be staying away from overvolting from now on. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the response. The reason I did it was because no matter what voltage I put it on, I was never able to OC the card to more than 1900mhz.
Oh well, lesson learned the hard way. I guess I will be using this card until a better card comes along. And I'll be staying away from overvolting from now on. :)

Might be a silly question but did you max the power limit when you were overclocking.

Associate

You're the first person that I know of with a waterblock who couldn't get a decent overclock. If it was resilient enough to stand 1.3 to some degree, then I suspect there was some kind of driver issue stopping you getting over 1900Mhz.

Associate
You're the first person that I know of with a waterblock who couldn't get a decent overclock. If it was resilient enough to stand 1.3 to some degree, then I suspect there was some kind of driver issue stopping you getting over 1900Mhz.

Might be a driver issue, but I have been on the latest drivers during all of my testing.
I was suspecting that it could be my power supply, since its about 9 years old now, but its a 750watt one and its still running great, so I don't really know.

Associate
Might be a driver issue, but I have been on the latest drivers during all of my testing.
I was suspecting that it could be my power supply, since its about 9 years old now, but its a 750watt one and its still running great, so I don't really know.

9 years is pushing it a little, especially for extreme overclocking (1.3 is definitely extreme), however good it was.

Associate
You think that could have something to do with not being able to OC?
I could try to buy a new PSU, its about time to buy a new one anyway.

Possibly. But you may also have ruined your card now anyway.

If you can afford an RVII, I wouldn't be on an ancient PSU. Even if the caps are all solid state, they still slowly degrade, amongst other bits of circuitry.

Personally, I go Super Flower or Seasonic.

Permabanned

Messing with the voltage isn't worth the risk, If you look at it in Wattman it has a dotted line with 1218 (mv) at one end & max at the other or at least that's what mine shows, I wouldn't dream of pushing past that or using mods with a single bio's card, For gaming an overclock does very little so why risk so much for a few extra fps. Mines a 1900's card as well but I haven't done much testing in that direction as I run mine at 1802mhz/1008mv on the core & 1200 mhz on the memory & only go higher if I feel like testing it in 3dmark or whatever. I can go close to 2000mhz on the core in 3dmark but that's with the voltage at its stock of 1065 mv or a little higher but not much higher (always below 1100mv) as my cards on air.

Soldato
Messing with the voltage isn't worth the risk, If you look at it in Wattman it has a dotted line with 1218 (mv) at one end & max at the other or at least that's what mine shows, I wouldn't dream of pushing past that or using mods with a single bio's card, For gaming an overclock does very little so why risk so much for a few extra fps. Mines a 1900's card as well but I haven't done much testing in that direction as I run mine at 1802mhz/1008mv on the core & 1200 mhz on the memory & only go higher if I feel like testing it in 3dmark or whatever. I can go close to 2000mhz on the core in 3dmark but that's with the voltage at its stock of 1065 mv or a little higher but not much higher as my cards on air.
Get that little beast under water Nasha, sounds like a fruity one

Caporegime
Messing with the voltage isn't worth the risk, If you look at it in Wattman it has a dotted line with 1218 (mv) at one end & max at the other or at least that's what mine shows, I wouldn't dream of pushing past that or using mods with a single bio's card, For gaming an overclock does very little so why risk so much for a few extra fps. Mines a 1900's card as well but I haven't done much testing in that direction as I run mine at 1802mhz/1008mv on the core & 1200 mhz on the memory & only go higher if I feel like testing it in 3dmark or whatever. I can go close to 2000mhz on the core in 3dmark but that's with the voltage at its stock of 1065 mv or a little higher but not much higher (always below 1100mv) as my cards on air.

Sounds like you got a good replacement. :)

Associate
Possibly. But you may also have ruined your card now anyway.

If you can afford an RVII, I wouldn't be on an ancient PSU. Even if the caps are all solid state, they still slowly degrade, amongst other bits of circuitry.

Personally, I go Super Flower or Seasonic.

The damage is probably already done, but I'll just have to try, won't hurt atleast. Maybe it can atleast get stable at stock settings if I'm lucky.

Permabanned
Get that little beast under water Nasha, sounds like a fruity one

I still might but it'll depend on what I do Ryzen wise when the next gen arrives.

Sounds like you got a good replacement. :)

Hi, It's the same one, They sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it & lo and behold there was nothing wrong with it. My only guess is it may have been bios or driver related but I never went back on the release driver or the old bio's to find out for sure.

Associate
I wouldn't be so sure on that.
Remember Fury X/Fury went EOL and AMD's highest performance part ended up being the 390X/480 for ages.

There was limited availability for quite a while after, but that ain't happening for now with Vega 10 / 20, because both have enterprise cards which they make a lot of money out of. Navi 10/12 won't replace either of them in workstation / server / ML etc. Unlikely Navi 20 will either in double precision, at least.

Soldato
It will be interesting to see what happens with Navi pricing and performance relative to the current Radeon VII position. If R7 was £500 I'd bite but I think it's too expensive to make for it to go that low.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom