• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Sorry i was unclear, I looked at your sig and saw we have identical everything apart from motherboard, and my ram will not run as fast as yours, infact it wont run past 3000mhz... is yours the 3200mhz cl14 stuff as well or a higher speed kit?
Ye, 8 pack c14 3200mhz. Its highly binned b die and will get to 4500mhz with manual timings. Its down in price now too, £139.99. Have you checked which ic your ram uses and used ryzen dram calculator? Which motherboard are you using?

Soldato
Ye, 8 pack c14 3200mhz. Its highly binned b die and will get to 4500mhz with manual timings. Its down in price now too, £139.99. Have you checked which ic your ram uses and used ryzen dram calculator? Which motherboard are you using?
Just look at my signature, x470 aorus ultra gaming, everything else is identical to you. I have the same ram as you exactly, but it creates errors when i run above 3000mhz. I tried ryzen ram calculator and set every single thing manually in the bios , on safe and fast modes, but it either boot looped or produced errors

Associate
Just look at my signature, x470 aorus ultra gaming, everything else is identical to you. I have the same ram as you exactly, but it creates errors when i run above 3000mhz. I tried ryzen ram calculator and set every single thing manually in the bios , on safe and fast modes, but it either boot looped or produced errors
Have you get the latest bios on? Gigabyte boards are a little questionable on memory unfortunately.
F40 for ryzen 3000 is available for you now.

Associate
Poor thing, it will be paired with a 2.2Ghz Xeon :(
$5999 doesn't get you too far on specs either!
"The new Mac Pro is launching this fall with a starting price of $5,999. That’s with a spec vastly below its maxed out exciting new features: you get 32GB of memory, an octa-core Intel Xeon CPU, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and a 256GB SSD."

At the other end of the spec the numbers get very different!
"Apple says you can spec that out with AMD’s Radeon Pro Vega 2 or Radeon Pro Vega 2 Duo — and you can configure the system with two of the latter, giving you four GPUs and 128GB of HBM2 graphics memory in total"

Article at the verge:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/1...-redesign-new-specs-features-photos-wwdc-2019

Soldato
$5999 doesn't get you too far on specs either!
"The new Mac Pro is launching this fall with a starting price of $5,999. That’s with a spec vastly below its maxed out exciting new features: you get 32GB of memory, an octa-core Intel Xeon CPU, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and a 256GB SSD."

At the other end of the spec the numbers get very different!
"Apple says you can spec that out with AMD’s Radeon Pro Vega 2 or Radeon Pro Vega 2 Duo — and you can configure the system with two of the latter, giving you four GPUs and 128GB of HBM2 graphics memory in total"

Article at the verge:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/1...-redesign-new-specs-features-photos-wwdc-2019

Yeah true, yet given that it will be paired with ah 4Ghz 8Core Xeon at best doesn't help.

We need it for PC now :D

Associate
Had a bit of a moment thinking about vii blocks after watching 8 Packs coverage from Computex 2019, regarding all the research and development he's been upto with regards to getting the very best out of water cooling.
I've now worked out why the Alphacool block doesn't match the likes of EKWB and Bykski for Junction temps!

1: The flow is top-bottom not left-right onto the core. (alphacool top-bottom)
2: The fins are all the same length so have the more surface area. (The alphacool has the centre at a reduced high)

Cutting the fins smaller in the centre been the hottest part of the die is crazy!

So EK and Bykski are the best performance due to design.
Barrow maybe similar to Alphacool having reduced height fins in the centre but left-right flow may help.

5xpSLeA.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNQE-zAhaE&t=

Associate
Had a bit of a moment thinking about vii blocks after watching 8 Packs coverage from Computex 2019, regarding all the research and development he's been upto with regards to getting the very best out of water cooling.
I've now worked out why the Alphacool block doesn't match the likes of EKWB and Bykski for Junction temps!

2: The fins are all the same length so have the more surface area. (The alphacool has the centre at a reduced high)

Cutting the fins smaller in the centre been the hottest part of the die is crazy!

Barrow maybe similar to Alphacool having reduced height fins in the centre but left-right flow may help.

You know, the more I look at the Alphacool block the less it makes sense to me. Is this really the path the water takes?
https://i.imgur.com/bUdZEg4.png

Soldato
Anyone by chance noticed a slight sort of buzzing or rattling sound from their R7 ? It's very feint but noticed it earlier today when going through emails, Sounds like electrical noise, Everything is working perfectly so not sure if I should RMA...again.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone by chance noticed a slight sort of buzzing or rattling sound from their R7 ? It's very feint but noticed it earlier today when going through emails, Sounds like electrical noise, Everything is working perfectly so not sure if I should RMA...again.
Are you on a water block? Sounds like the noise you can get from a cap. One quick test is run something that is high fps like firestrike. It should be more noticeable at higher frame rate. Having a water block normally makes it sound worse.

Soldato
Are you on a water block? Sounds like the noise you can get from a cap. One quick test is run something that is high fps like firestrike. It should be more noticeable at higher frame rate. Having a water block normally makes it sound worse.

Nope, Stock cooler, At first I thought it was fan noise so I manually stopped the fans, Still going on, So probably cap noise, It doesn't increase with higher FPS though, It's very very quiet but once you notice it, It becomes a little annoying :D

Associate

5xpSLeA.png

A lot of AlphaCool products are strange, IMO. Quite a lot of them are crap.

The Barrow has the smallest fins and largest number of them, though. The Bykski clearly has smaller fins and more of them than the EK, which is probably why it outperforms it.

I suspect the Barrow and Bykski will perform similarly. I've ordered the Barrow block.

Phanteks. I suspect it'll perform above the AlphaCool and below the EK. Their water blocks up until now have not performed very well.

attachment.php

Bitspower. This looks a bit different from their usual offerings, which in the past have pretty much had the wooden spoon in every review I've seen (same with CPU blocks). Maybe this will be better? Shame, as they produce some beautifully made stuff.

attachment.php

Associate
Nope, Stock cooler, At first I thought it was fan noise so I manually stopped the fans, Still going on, So probably cap noise, It doesn't increase with higher FPS though, It's very very quiet but once you notice it, It becomes a little annoying :D
Ye, I know what you mean. My Vega 64 was bad at high fps with the ek block fitted.

Associate
So I'm seeing a lot of negativity about the AlphaCool block on here now but in reality the only actual problem was it may hit one of the chokes (and I do get how much of an issue that is) which was solvable by removing the RGB strip. Other than that it works.

I'm interested to see what max tJunction temps others are getting with competing blocks compared to my functioning AlphaCool block.

So while gaming I get a max tJunction of 80deg. Game is Wreckfest, res is 2560x1440. Now running 1900 core, 1100 mem, 1102mv.

f8x99sa.jpg

Associate
So I'm seeing a lot of negativity about the AlphaCool block on here now but in reality the only actual problem was it may hit one of the chokes (and I do get how much of an issue that is) which was solvable by removing the RGB strip. Other than that it works.

I'm interested to see what max tJunction temps others are getting with competing blocks compared to my functioning AlphaCool block.

So while gaming I get a max tJunction of 80deg. Game is Wreckfest, res is 2560x1440. Now running 1900 core, 1100 mem, 1102mv.
My temps are quite similar but judging by your idle temps I'd say it's a bit colder where you are. Either way this has been significantly better for me. I'm thinking it might be the unorthodox path that is causing a significant pressure drop for the Alphacool block.
umqGAGd.png

Associate
My temps are quite similar but judging by your idle temps I'd say it's a bit colder where you are. Either way this has been significantly better for me. I'm thinking it might be the unorthodox path that is causing a significant pressure drop for the Alphacool block.

Which block are you using?

Interesting to spot that your peak mv of 1106 is the same also.
Your clocks are higher (2000/1200) yet your power draw lower at 285w.

I'm in Kent, SE England. Temp here was 23.5 when I ran that.

Associate
Which block are you using?

Interesting to spot that your peak mv of 1106 is the same also.
Your clocks are higher (2000/1200) yet your power draw lower at 285w.

I'm in Kent, SE England. Temp here was 23.5 when I ran that.
Your CPU was running below ambient then?

And sorry, I forgot to mention that it was the EK block when I posted. I suspect that our voltages are the same is because the voltage steps are in fixed increments that are larger than the ones Wattman uses. I also had my GPU set to 2025Mhz which is stable in all games as far as I have seen. With a longer test/session I'm sure my power consumption would peak higher too. But I guess it depends on the stress test. I'll see how it copes with one of my multi-hour Division sessions.

Back
Top Bottom