• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800X or 9900K

Soldato
doubt intel will lower their prices - not until 9900ks and then it wont be by that much, they know the intel users will still buy intel over AMD. Ive had pretty bad experiences with AMD systems in the past from dodgy chips, crap mobos and useless factory overclocked GPUs - none of which were either cheap or crap brands. Its still going to be 2080ti and 9900KS upgrades for me - 'They just work'

PEBAK TBH.

Caporegime
doubt intel will lower their prices - not until 9900ks and then it wont be by that much, they know the intel users will still buy intel over AMD. Ive had pretty bad experiences with AMD systems in the past from dodgy chips, crap mobos and useless factory overclocked GPUs - none of which were either cheap or crap brands. Its still going to be 2080ti and 9900KS upgrades for me - 'They just work'
Erm, about the 20-series "just working"... well, sure if you like space invaders.

Soldato
For anyone spending less than £700-£1000 on the core components (CPU/GPU/mobo/RAM) PS5 will be better. Certainly better value. Probably better performance!

PS5 will probably be priced between £500 and £550, and will have both Zen 2 + Navi + bare-metal API.

PCs continue to be price gouged out of existence.

However a PC can do a lot more than a PS5. There are games that don't play too well on a console.

To answer the OP, Z390 has no upgrade path. Go for a 3800X and you have a 12C, 16C and Zen2+ you can drop in. PCIE 4.0 will prolong the useful life of the system too. A new motherboard will be required for a 10C Intel upgrade...

Caporegime

2080ti was plagued with space invaders and had massive issues...plus the 2080 series refresh is days away

Soldato
Wait for the 9900ks and intels price drops...

Intel has constantly marketed the 9900k as “the best gaming cpu in the world” - and that tells the story. If the 9900ks is still the fastest in games on July 7 when the benchmarks are out then there will be no price drops.

In saying this the 9900k is not a wise purchase as it’s not future proofed. You will need pcie4 in the future even if you don’t now, you can upgrade to 12 core in the future without changing mobo

Caporegime
However a PC can do a lot more than a PS5. There are games that don't play too well on a console.

To answer the OP, Z390 has no upgrade path. Go for a 3800X and you have a 12C, 16C and Zen2+ you can drop in. PCIE 4.0 will prolong the useful life of the system too. A new motherboard will be required for a 10C Intel upgrade...
Sure but their current PC doesn't cease to exist when they buy a new console. So they can still do Excel (etc) on their current PC.

It's a choice between upgrading/building a gaming PC vs a console, strictly considering gaming (for many of us).

Caporegime
Intel has constantly marketed the 9900k as “the best gaming cpu in the world” - and that tells the story. If the 9900ks is still the fastest in games on July 7 when the benchmarks are out then there will be no price drops

It’s not , the 3800k matches it for less...

That why they are releasing the 9900ks

Soldato
How do you know it matches it, because Lisa showed off a gpu bottlenecked single game for 5 seconds?

Let’s wait for proper reviews please

Associate
What the hell do you lot see in the 9900?
I see a pushed past the max chip with huge heat and power problems on an old platform with no future and the best of all so badly compromised with security it doubles as swiss cheese.

Exceptionally naive to be buying into such a bad product when you will have options elsewhere especially for the stupid money intel wants.

Soldato
Why you would consider the Intel security risk and nuclear thermal device over Zen is beyond me.

I have to agree with this. I love Intel, but with HT security fears I wouldn't buy anything Intel atm or for a few years in fact.

I have a 8700k and I'm looking at AMD for the first time and a 3800X for my next upgrade. Lets hope it doesn't disappoint?

Permabanned
I have £600 to spend on a board and CPU burning a hole in my pocket to replace my 2700K. usage is mostly gaming but with some photo / video editing.

I was planning on the Ryzen 2 12 core CPU assuming that pricing would be in line with the leaks ~£400 so giving me ~£200 left for the motherboard, but as that's not the case I'm now looking at the 8/16 3800x instead.

One thing that puts me off the x570 boards is the active cooling and to be honest I don't need PCIE 4.0.

So I'm now wandering if I shouldn't just spend an extra ~£50 and get a 9900K, no active cooling, I can upgrade now, and I'm thinking gaming performance on the 9900K is still going to be better than on the new AMD.

Thoughts?

I'd go for the 3800x, though I'd wait for benchmarks. The active cooling appears to be for NVME drives, which can produce a little heat due to the increased throughput of PCIE 4.0. I'm torn between the 12c and 16c Ryzen myself. I figure that if the consoles are going 8c then 12c for PC should be the minimum, but I don't upgrade that often. My main PC is still running a 3770k :eek:

Permabanned
I see a pushed past the max chip with huge heat and power problems on an old platform with no future and the best of all so badly compromised with security it doubles as swiss cheese.

Exceptionally naive to be buying into such a bad product when you will have options elsewhere especially for the stupid money intel wants.

Its obvious why people buy it, fanboys aside, it is(was?) the best for gaming(and other things), regardless of its drawbacks.

The AMD CPU's are great but as yet are not a match in gaming.

Soldato
@PieEater what resolution are you gaming at?

A question to everyone/anyone: would there be an advantage in buying an x570 mobo and pairing it with the 2700x until the Zen2 refresh comes along? I feel that this new series is ideal for anyone upgrading from older platforms, but as an upgrade from 2700x are the gains really worth it?

Incidentally, I also feel Intel needs to be ruled out.

Associate
Its obvious why people buy it, fanboys aside, it is(was?) the best for gaming(and other things), regardless of its drawbacks.

The AMD CPU's are great but as yet are not a match in gaming.

It was, only just if you ignore its serious flaws.
It wont be for much longer.

Folk get so caught up on 3 or 4 fps but dont look at the big picture, the 9900k(S especially) are flawed.

Soldato

I bought one fairly recently. Was holding out for a 3950X (or whatever Ryzen 2 16core will be) but needed to rebuild a second system and decided for all round use, especially gaming and likely resale appeal it'd be a decent buy. Thought I'd regret it but I now don't see the 16 core Ryzen 2's coming until September at least so glad I did.
While I don't disagree with what you said, for what it is, it's still a decent CPU and at the moment the best for gaming which is not hugely important for many including me if I'm honest, but still a strong point nonetheless. It shows what Intel can do, which is to just about stay ahead even regurgitating the same old **** :p.
Not bothered overclocking it but see no higher than 75c using an air cooler. It rarely hits 5 Ghz though, even if running cinebench on a single core. It's working fine and hits it more frequenty if I kill off a load of threads in task manager, so it seems even very low load on other cores causes even 2 cores to throttle back from 5 Ghz.

What amazed me after previously installing a 1950X is how small the 9900K is. Tiny. Not really sure why but just assumed it'd be a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Soldato

Marry me.

Back
Top Bottom