• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
yep cant wait for all the apps on the ps5, adobe, light studio, all the accounting and audio editing stuff.
offices all over the world running just ps5's.

if all you use your PC for is gaming do think thats the sole use for them.
you dont need a £3000 system to game, its people's choice to do that. you can game at 1440 for under £500(with better than console details).
Why do people trot out this ridiculous argument?

Hint: when you buy your PS5 your existing PC will not go *poof* and disappear in a puff of smoke.

Or are you telling me that the market for PS5 is exclusively people who do not own a PC? Don't be daft.

The choice is (and always is) between upgrading/rebuilding your existing gaming/productivity PC and buying a PS5.

Most people's productivity PC only needs to be able to run Office and accounting stuff like you say.

Even rebuilding/upgrading your PC will cost much, much more than a PS5. And what will you get for that? You can say "I only have one device! Less cables!" and that's about as good as your argument gets.

I can say "I have two devices that together represent a much, much, much better value for money proposition."

Caporegime
It's yet to be seen what the upgrade performance will be on older boards. You could argue that Intel give you one upgrade path, a new motherboard

is it a false upgrade path though ? most of the times it is. older mobos also gimp performance. even if its a small margin. may have issues. you better off just going new mobo new platform with new cpu.

Soldato
As an ex 5820k owner I confim this :)

As a current one, I cannot. Mine maxes at 4.3Ghz, and reaches silly temps, without being Intel burn, and AIDA64 FPU stable.

Even a base 3600X would beat the 5820K overclocked, as it would have better IPC, and reach better clocks than mine could match. Never mind better memory speeds also.

Edit: How much RAM did you get? I paid through the nose for my 2400Mhz at the time.

5JCq4dw.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
As an ex 5820k owner I confim this :) Paid 320 quid on lunch day if i remember. And 250 for 2400 ddr4 rams :D

yeah 5 years ago. so 5 years on from that launch amd is giving you a £200 six core thats basically the same speed. such bad pricing.

what makes it worse is you gunna have spend atleast probably £400 on a cpu to upgrade now from that 5 year old cpu because of amds pricing scheme.

Soldato
Even rebuilding/upgrading your PC will cost much, much more than a PS5.
thankfully not for all of us. just need a new cpu (i don't need, i want!) and a new mobo - though if they are silly money for x570 i'm more than happy to go ghetto and use a x470 board. that paired with my current ram and gpu (vega64) will be a relatively cheap upgrade from my 1st gen 1600.

Soldato
And that’s exactly what you are going to ...sell your 2700x and buy a 3700x lol

Is it ? Are you one of those old ladies that sit in a booth spouting rubbish about someone from a picture on a playing card ?
Just so you know, i have no intention of selling my 2700x and buy a 3700x.......................or a 3800x for that matter.................................................can i have my 50p entrance fee back ?

Caporegime
Is it ? Are you one of those old ladies that sit in a booth spouting rubbish about someone from a picture on a playing card ?
Just so you know, i have no intention of selling my 2700x and buy a 3700x.......................or a 3800x for that matter.................................................can i have my 50p entrance fee back ?

But you said just that...

Once zen2 is released, those of us that move to zen2 will be selling on CPU's and probably mobo's as well. The members market will be full of 2600's, 2700's and in my case 2700x. Just hold off until the transition from one to the other takes place.

Zen 1700 vs 2600?

NEXT

Soldato
id just grab a cheap 2700 for 160-170. upgrade in two years qwango
that was my fall back plan if it was a disastrous release but it's pretty much as i expected. my current combo (1600 + x370 giga gaming 5) is a bit, well basically it's a just a bit ryzen 1!! 3.8 on cpu (could push to 3.9 but little or no gains really) but ram is maxxed at 2933. no amount of faffing around could get ram running at anything better. absolutely no reason to upgrade though as it plays everything i need it to, just fancy some new toys really lol

Soldato
These CPUs are targeted at those folk that held onto 2/3/4/5th gen Intel CPUs because Intel still hasn't bothered offering anything compelling. Just read the comments from the owners of those CPUs; pretty unequivocal in their desire purchase Zen 2 CPUs this time around.

Exactly this. My overclocked 4690K might finally see retirement, with me finally getting a machine running on 8 cores and DDR4.

Permabanned
As a current one, I cannot. Mine maxes at 4.3Ghz, and reaches silly temps, without being Intel burn, and AIDA64 FPU stable.

Even a base 3600X would beat the 5820K overclocked, as it would have better IPC, and reach better clocks than mine could match. Never mind better memory speeds also.

Edit: How much RAM did you get? I paid through the nose for my 2400Mhz at the time.

5JCq4dw.jpg
I had 16gb Gskill my cpu overclocked to 4450 IBT Prime rendering stable with memory at 2666cl13. Cooling difference full custom loop with 360rad for cpu alone :] Now i got one of best WC setups at ocuk. Common 1080 exterlan Nova extreme thats x3 what i had back then :D

Associate
Isnt that the same for all chips though, what you got high end one year a few years later dribbles down to the lower end which is what we see with the amd 6 core parts.

I have a 5820k, it was not 200 quid when i bought it... :p and it had all sorts of issues while intel tried to get its act together and bios's came out thick and fast. Been a good soldier ever since but it wont be staying.

Back
Top Bottom