• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I don't care - 5ghz only matters for Intel because they have no IPC gain between the 6th and 9th gen CPU's so the only performance comes from higher clocks and many games like that too.

It's just the clocks from leaks seem to be way higher than the 4.1ghz the 16 core has under water and presumably 250w+ power draw

Man of Honour
I don't care - 5ghz only matters for Intel because they have no IPC gain between the 6th and 9th gen CPU's so the only performance comes from higher clocks and many games like that too.

It's just the clocks from leaks seem to be way higher than the 4.1ghz the 16 core has under water and presumably 250w+ power draw

Not at all 1.4v is less than what my TR 1950x pulls at stock clocks boosting to 4.1 ish. 4.1 on the 16 core @ 1.4 wouldn't even be hot and would be pulling less than 165w. This is a huge step forward in efficiency and power, don't be fooled.

Associate
The 16c part may have likely been a ES chip. The 1900X has a boost of 4.6Ghz, there is no reason the 16c wont also go to 4.6Ghz due to the chiplet design.

Man of Honour
For the love of god She is a PhD and CEO!

And an ex IBM staff member that had significant impact on why CPU's are like they are today, if i remember rightly she bought in and was the first to use copper interconnects at chip level. She knows what she is doing for sure and lets be honest nobody in here is anything like versed enough to disagree.

Soldato
What amazes me is people are so indoctrinated by Intels "More Hz is better" that they cannot fathom or understand that AMD's IPC is not only equal, its actually better than Intels, and that means AMD's new range at lower clocks actually equals and or betters Intels higher frequencies on their chips.

So they had the 3800x on stage in PUBG equalling and or bettering the 9900k, both were run at stock, so if we break this down lets look at a few factors here...

PUBG notoriously bad on previous Zen chips, Intel chips due to better single core performance outpace previous Zen chips
9900k has an all core boost of what? 4.7ghz? and a single core boost of 5ghz
3800x has a reported max clock of 4.5ghz, you can presume the all core boost is a lot lower, probably the 4.2 - 4.3ghz range.

So with that said, if PUBG was running on the 9900k single threaded at 5ghz vs AMD's 4.5ghz and AMD was equalling and or bettering it, then you can pretty much assume that AMD's single threaded performance is equal or better than Intels, and at a much lower clock speed.

If both chips were running at their all core boosts, again the Intel chip was running probably 4-500hz higher than the AMD and still being equalled or beaten by the AMD chip, again in a game that historically favours Intels performance.

So my take from this is AMD's single threaded perf has improved drastically, and at low clock speeds as well it is able to match Intels higher clock speeds, and if the rumors of plenty of gas left in the tank for overclocking are true, that 3800x with all cores at 4.5ghz will ruin the 9900k, should you be able to push those cores higher then it is looking pretty bleak indeed, even for Intels new 9900KS.

This is all speculation on what we have seen so far and what has been coming out of Computex etc, there are a few questions id like to see answered however still, such as the difference between the 3700x and 3800x rated TDP, its quite a huge chunk, and its rumored they are both single CCX chips, something tells me that 3800X has a lot of room for pushing given the TDP limit, to push that chip further.

I think Lisa Su and AMD intentionally sandbagged its theoretical performance, and only showed an apples to apples stock for stock performance, showing their 3800x at absolute stock matches the 9900k at stock, and yes they both have more room to be pushed, except i think finally AMD's IPC is stronger now, so pushing AMD will just make the gap between them both further apart with the AMD chips being the clear winners finally.

Soldato
lol wtf - what happened to all the 5ghz leaks then
Those leaks are about 7 months old, which makes the information about 8 months old. A lot can change in that time, and a lot did change in that time.

Whether or not real-world silicon actually lived up to projections remains to be seen, but certainly I don't think AMD expected the relentless barrage of vulnerabilities and exploits hitting Intel CPUs. I don't think AMD expected Intel 10nm to still be a pipe dream. And I certainly don't think AMD expected Intel's responses to Ryzen and Threadripper to be a gluing MOAR COREZ onto Coffee Lake, a cherry-picked 5GHz glued Coffee Lake, and a joke Xeon with the clock multiplier removed.

And because of all this, AMD have clearly stepped back and gone "Intel have nothing right now, we actually don't need to release all this right now". The 3800X is likely going to compete with the 9900KS in every metric that matters to non-children and fanbois, the 3900X is going to salt the earth afterwards and a low-clocked 16 core desktop Ryzen is beating an Intel HEDT.

16 cores exist. 5GHz boost exists. AMD don't need to release them now. It pains me to say that because it shows Intel are so much on the back foot now AMD can already start drip-feeding and controlling technology release. I didn't think they'd be able to pull that business trick and start milking until Zen 3.

Associate
https://youtu.be/MkO4R10WNUM?t=252 16 core chip under custom loop = 4.25ghz all core. Maybe they're delaying the 16 core chip to see if they can get higher clocks.

Builzoid also mentioned that BCLK OC'ing is back on the menu so there will be more to these chips than bumping up the multiplier.
It was my thinking too.
All-core overclock is more difficult. I would rather increase BCLK (and offset voltage) and benefit from XFR, just bumped higher.

Im going to guess the 3600x is 8 cores that failed QA, so they disable 2 cores and have to push 95w through it to get it stable.

The 3700x is the 8 core that passes QA

The 3800x is the highest binned 8 core that passed QA and it gets higher clocks
What does it make 3900X?
With default clocks being higher than 3600X and default power draw not doubling with number of cores, surely it must get best binned 6 core dies?

Thes speculations are nice, but I am waiting for proper reviews. Very interested in web browser benchmarks from anandtech, they are the best single-core/gaming/latency indicator.

Also waiting for mATX motherboard. Any news on B550? Else what is the best B450 mATX? MSI mortar?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Those leaks are about 7 months old, which makes the information about 8 months old. A lot can change in that time, and a lot did change in that time.

Whether or not real-world silicon actually lived up to projections remains to be seen, but certainly I don't think AMD expected the relentless barrage of vulnerabilities and exploits hitting Intel CPUs. I don't think AMD expected Intel 10nm to still be a pipe dream. And I certainly don't think AMD expected Intel's responses to Ryzen and Threadripper to be a gluing MOAR COREZ onto Coffee Lake, a cherry-picked 5GHz glued Coffee Lake, and a joke Xeon with the clock multiplier removed.

And because of all this, AMD have clearly stepped back and gone "Intel have nothing right now, we actually don't need to release all this right now". The 3800X is likely going to compete with the 9900KS in every metric that matters to non-children and fanbois, the 3900X is going to salt the earth afterwards and a low-clocked 16 core desktop Ryzen is beating an Intel HEDT.

16 cores exist. 5GHz boost exists. AMD don't need to release them now. It pains me to say that because it shows Intel are so much on the back foot now AMD can already start drip-feeding and controlling technology release. I didn't think they'd be able to pull that business trick and start milking until Zen 3.

I think your saying what I have been thinking. There is a new king in town, Intel are beat and not just a little bit! They are so far behind in process, design, scalability, security etc etc etc that there is really only one option across the whole stack come Ryzen 3000. We no longer bow down to our intel overlords, there is a new queen in town and she wears red! On the plus side at least they have given us a significant jump forward and some looks into what they are capable of and at a fair price. What we need now is for intel to properly counter, but when you have nothing to counter with that is a bit difficult.

Caporegime

Those leaks were from Adored and he doubled down on them in the past couple of weeks, stating that the 16 core was going to be, I forget what, something like 4.3Ghz boost and he said straight up the 12 core would be 5Ghz. He's now since getting basically everything to do with Navi and this launch completely wrong, taken to twitter to defend himself and is now saying it was 5Ghz overclocks the 12 core will do. That Navi isn't the architecture he thought, the massive price differences, the lack of a 16 core... opps.

Back
Top Bottom