The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
If you're an absolute amateur, absolutely start with Glenmorangie. [Many an Englishman have told me they dislike whisky on their appraisal of Bells. I wouldn't use Bells to clean the toilet!]

If you like Glenmorangie, then Glenlivet, Glenfiddoch and Balvenie would be right up your street.

Don't rule out lowland malts though. I recently was gifted a 25 year old Auchentoshan. Which was beautiful.

Man of Honour
If you're an absolute amateur, absolutely start with Glenmorangie. [Many an Englishman have told me they dislike whisky on their appraisal of Bells. I wouldn't use Bells to clean the toilet!]

If you like Glenmorangie, then Glenlivet, Glenfiddoch and Balvenie would be right up your street.

Don't rule out lowland malts though. I recently was gifted a 25 year old Auchentoshan. Which was beautiful.
I agree - Glenmorangie is great. Easily my favourite of the readily available brands.

Man of Honour
I also agree that Glenmorangie is a good start (get the basic 10-year stuff, not any of the awful fancy name attempts at getting into the yoof market). I'd put Isle of Jura as the next best whisky for a newcomer. Glenfiddich is drain cleaner, but not as nice to drink. The bad news: in general the older the whisky, the better. But also the more expensive. Start with 10-12 year single malts as the best compromise between expense and taste. If you develop a taste, mover to older ones.

Associate
Aimed at @Phreaky the OP in the GD thread today.

I'd like to add, as a Scotsman living in England, I tend to find the English palette generally leans more towards the Hebridean/Northern Isle offerings which are more smokey/petey but the Scottish palette prefers the single highlight malt.

OP, YMMV.

Cheers,

S..

Man of Honour
Soldato
Going to grab a bottle of Kilkerran 12 from MoM, my first order. Any recommendations on a Rye <£35? I've felt a need to start mixing Manhattan's at home for some reason. If the Rye is drinkable on it's own that's a bonus...

Rittenhouse is the best rye, should be around £35 but it has increased a bit in the last year.
Bulleit Rye would be second choice. Tesco occasionally have it on offer for around £29.

Soldato
I drink whisky that does't give me Headaches the next morning, so I've been drinkin Jack for the past 15 years.
I've tried it many times at friends houses as they think it's a treat for me (they drink it with coke so ready available) - but i struggle with Jack, although by the 3rd glass with beer chaser i'm usually on talking terms...

And as a result of my chaser - i conversely nearly always get a hangover with Jack.

Soldato
Just cracked open a bottle of Ardmore Legacy, wasn't expecting it to have a bit peatiness to it, though checking the label it does mention it.
Ardmore Legacy is brilliant for the price, often £20 in supermarkets/a few £ cheaper on Amazon.

I'm currently getting through a bottle of Nikka Coffey Malt. Might have to pickup the Grain to compare.

Man of Honour
Anyone tried the Chivas Regal 18yr old? Been 50 for a while now and it's pay day so I'm a bit tempted...

i've had it a few times and its a decent blend - well balanced with a decent amount of flavour and depth - but i think there are better bottles for the money.

Ardmore Legacy is brilliant for the price, often £20 in supermarkets/a few £ cheaper on Amazon.

I'm currently getting through a bottle of Nikka Coffey Malt. Might have to pickup the Grain to compare.

Just opened a legacy the other day, ironically to replace the coffey malt I finished :D Legacy is a very good bottle for £18

Back
Top Bottom