The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Most distilleries are off the main roads so not overly easy to get to on public transport.
There are some places that offer minibus tours so they do the driving for you. You might find daytrip offers to some as well (Glenfarclas isn't bad)
Try to avoid anything Diageo owned.
Always get the best tour/tasting you can afford.
Bottle your own is always worth doing.

Strathisla (in Keith) can be done by train and is well worth doing.
I really enjoyed the Tomatin tour despite only a few whiskies standing out.

Associate
I'm off to Florida soon. Anyone got any recommendations for anything I can get whilst I'm over there that I can't get in the UK?

Given I'll be in the US I don't mind if it'a a Bourbon.

Budget not too important, maybe £50 or so at most unless there is something special.

Soldato
I'm off to Florida soon. Anyone got any recommendations for anything I can get whilst I'm over there that I can't get in the UK?

Given I'll be in the US I don't mind if it'a a Bourbon.

Budget not too important, maybe £50 or so at most unless there is something special.

Four Roses Small Batch (Limited Edition) if you can find it. Due to its limited editionness, prices are very high in this country so its not a good gauge, I understand its much cheaper over in the US.

Soldato
So it's the little bruv's birthday this month and want to get him something he hasn't had before and unique.

He's a fan of his Jonnie Walker Blue, Bulleit Bourbon, Japanese whisky (Hakushu + Hibiki)...

any recommendations please? Maybe around the £60 bottle mark?

Associate
So it's the little bruv's birthday this month and want to get him something he hasn't had before and unique.

He's a fan of his Jonnie Walker Blue, Bulleit Bourbon, Japanese whisky (Hakushu + Hibiki)...

any recommendations please? Maybe around the £60 bottle mark?
Chivas Regal 18 for a JW Blue alternative, you should be able to get it under £60 most places. Had you asked a few days ago I'd have said get him a bottle of JW Green and a bottle of Eagle Rare 10, as the green was down to £30 quite a few places and you could have got both for under £60, but it seems the price has gone back up again now. I can't help with regards Japanese whisky, but I don't think there are many you can get for under £60 these days anyway.

Soldato
Going to grab a bottle of Kilkerran 12 from MoM, my first order. Any recommendations on a Rye <£35? I've felt a need to start mixing Manhattan's at home for some reason. If the Rye is drinkable on it's own that's a bonus...

Man of Honour
Bought a few bottles recently and was going on about them at some length in the ‘items I’ve purchased’ thread in GD but any chat probably belongs in here. Just a quick whizz through / recap.

I decided that I was bored with crap whisky from supermarkets (the Jura Courage is absolutely terrible! So bad!!! Avoid. 1/5) so plonked a bunch of well rated whisky from master of malt in my basket and ordered away, without really knowing too much about my preferences - all a bit of a gamble. I ended up getting three bottles of Japanese and two scotch. Turns out the Japanese are far less flavourful than the Scotch ones, but from ‘retrospective research’ that’s intended as the Japanese tend to drink it with food and as less of a nightcap (so I understand). My preference is definitely something with more distinct flavour so my next purchase is likely to be something more smokey, like a crazy Octomore!

Short reviews in the order I tried them. Some of the reviews I read online as so ridiculous with comments like “hint of pebbles” so I’ll keep it sensible. I’m obviously not on expert :p

Caol Ila 18 y.o. - this was a huge step up from the super market stuff but unfortunately I tried it at the same time as the Loch Gorm which I preferred, so I can’t really judge it on its own merits. Jury is still out.

Loch Gorm - this is sherry casked and absolutely delicious. Sweet yet peaty. I have been back to this a few times and each time it puts a bit smile on my face. I’m definitely intrigued to try more sherry casked whiskys. This one is definitely recommended by me 5/5

Nikka from the Barrel - First if the Japanese. I was really, really disappointed with this. Rave reviews but incredibly harsh to taste and then really quite bland when watered down. Forgettable save for the harshness. Even watered down it was harsh! No idea what the fuss is about with this one. It’s getting 2/5 because it’s better than the Jura Courage which is deserving of its aforementioned 1/5!

Yamakazi 12 - This was expensive so I was really nervous after the Nikka. Thankfully there was no need for nervousness. This was the most easily drinkable whiskey I’ve ever had. It was soooo smooth! No harshness. An absolute delight. Think of an ultra-smooth Glenmorangie. That’s what it was like. I would rate this 5/5 in terms of that style of smooth drinkable whisky but at £120 a bottle I can’t say there is ‘value’ in this. I’m definitely a newbie but I imagine you are probably going to get a similarly enjoyable experience at less money, noting that the Japanese stuff is really hiked in price. So not sure I could recommend someone pushing their budget for it. But very tasty indeed.

Yoichi single malt - this was similar to the yamakazi 12 but coming from that, notably a degree harsher. It has a 5% more alcohol content so perhaps that is partly why? Very drinkable indeed but the yamakazi was more so and I’d probably opt for the yamakazi every time (fairly substantial price difference though). I actually ended up watering this down a little and I preferred it. Just a quick tag for @Plec as we were chatting in that other thread and this Yoichi is an ‘update’ but sorry to tag you if you don’t care :o :)

In summary then, deffo buy the Loch Gorm, Yamakazi is lovely but expensive, jury is still out on Yoichi and Caol Ila, Nikka from the barrel should be Nikka down the sink :p

Soldato
Just a quick tag for @Plec as we were chatting in that other thread and this Yoichi is an ‘update’ but sorry to tag you if you don’t care :o :)
I had imagined you swaddled in a blanket, outside your local takeaway, yelling incoherently at passersby(s) the virtues of drinking half a bottle of Nikka to acclimatise the palette :D

Glad you had at least one hit from your Japanese selection. From your enthused write up i may buy a bottle of Yamakazi myself - but my basket may get distracted with Scotch as i browse...

Good summary, @Nitefly.

Associate
Are the GoT whiskeys any good?
Most of them are just slight tweaks on the standard bottlings. the Lagavulin 9, Clynelish and Talisker bottles are a bit different though and are the only ones worth picking up in my opinion. They are a bit overpriced, but with the season 8 dissatisfaction it could have a knock on effect to the whisky if it isn't selling as well and they could dip in price, but who knows. The other ones you can pick up the standard bottles for less and they are going to be close enough you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Associate
Connoisseurs of GD, educate me. I am of poor alcoholic taste, and wish to expand my horizons to the finest of distilled alcholic beverage that money can buy.

With that in mind, which of the worlds greatest would you recommend? I am a complete novice and wish to both drink things that don't taste like the underside of a compost bin but also wish to look like a billy big-******** liquor pro.

Back
Top Bottom