The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
No rather just buy the non game of thrones branded version.
The Lagavulin and the Clynelish bottles are new expresions only available from this GoT release, both are meant to be good. I decided against it though as it annoyed me they were cheaper when they were released in the US compared to the prices here.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
burns night tomorrow

got a Benrinnes 15 to crack open Flora and Fauna range , its one I have had before and its a superb drop for the money, I can highly recommend it

Soldato
Any recommendations for a peated whisky, less than £40? I think I've been through all of the obvious choices (Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, Lagavulin 16, Laphroig 10 and Quarter Cask), so if there's something new I could try that would be good! Going to pick up a little treat for Burns Night.

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
choice is limited if you only have a supermarket to those you have suggested...bowmore 12 should be right on the nose though and is widely available

I am a big fan of Oban 14 as it has a bit of everything going on without being as overpowering as something like Talisker, its like a mashup of a highland and an island malt..lightly smoky so not heavily peated

Soldato
choice is limited if you only have a supermarket to those you have suggested...bowmore 12 should be right on the nose though and is widely available

I am a big fan of Oban 14 as it has a bit of everything going on without being as overpowering as something like Talisker, its like a mashup of a highland and an island malt..lightly smoky so not heavily peated

I work on Oxford Street, so have a few decent whisky shops near me. I'll look out for the Oban. What are your thoughts on Ardberg 10?

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I work on Oxford Street, so have a few decent whisky shops near me. I'll look out for the Oban. What are your thoughts on Ardberg 10?

ardbeg ten is non chill filtered and a meaty 46%, very smoky and in my opinion a better dram that caol isla 12

but you have to like the smoke..which if you have a taste for islay malts wont be a problem

Associate
Any recommendations for a peated whisky, less than £40? I think I've been through all of the obvious choices (Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, Lagavulin 16, Laphroig 10 and Quarter Cask), so if there's something new I could try that would be good! Going to pick up a little treat for Burns Night.
A bit late but for Burns night, but I'd suggest Big Peat from Douglas Laing and Peat Monster from Compass Box. Both are very good blends if you like peat and should be around the £40 mark depending where you are.

Associate
Had ordered:

BenRinnes 15yr FaF
Dailuaine 16yr FaF
Blair Athol 12 yr Faf

...for burns night (only a nip of each obviously :p) from MoM, but despite asking for it to be left in the shed, it wasn't. Phoned MoM to discuss it, but was flat out told that 'It's up to the discretion of the driver', and 'DPD don't deliver on Saturdays'. Really poor imo. Not the first time I've had issues with DPD. Have asked MoM to ensure that any future deliveries are made by a company that will guarantee delivery in the evening or at weekends. I mean, 70% of the population still work Mon-Fri ffs.

Anyway, I went to Tesco and got another couple of bottles, which is the point of the story.

Tesco have a deal on Ardbeg 10 for £37 which is ok, and Laphroaig 10 for £28 which is even better.

Associate
Had ordered:

BenRinnes 15yr FaF
Dailuaine 16yr FaF
Blair Athol 12 yr Faf

...for burns night (only a nip of each obviously :p) from MoM, but despite asking for it to be left in the shed, it wasn't. Phoned MoM to discuss it, but was flat out told that 'It's up to the discretion of the driver', and 'DPD don't deliver on Saturdays'. Really poor imo. Not the first time I've had issues with DPD. Have asked MoM to ensure that any future deliveries are made by a company that will guarantee delivery in the evening or at weekends. I mean, 70% of the population still work Mon-Fri ffs.

Anyway, I went to Tesco and got another couple of bottles, which is the point of the story.

Tesco have a deal on Ardbeg 10 for £37 which is ok, and Laphroaig 10 for £28 which is even better.
No delivery company should leave alcohol in a shed. It has to be signed for to prove the recipient is over 18.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Had ordered:

BenRinnes 15yr FaF
Dailuaine 16yr FaF
Blair Athol 12 yr Faf

all great whiskys...just opened a Benrinnes myself, its one of my favourites, lots of toffee going on
the Dailiane is outstanding, very sherried and so smooth its unbelievable
blair athol is easy drinking and quite sherried as well...but not as much as the Dailuane

Soldato
Have an unopened bottle of this already, I saw that the price had increased quite a lot, and that it was sold out at the time for quite a while so wasn't keen to crack it open, as much as I wanted to.
Saw it had come back in stock in a few places so put another order in, so this one will be opened soon and the other bottle kept unopened, sort of a collectors bottle, think I paid £60-£65 for the 1st bottle and its increased to £75-£80 recently.
QEGTkyM.jpg

Soldato
Any Irish whiskey recommendations around the £40 mark? Have never really investigated beyond Jameson's etc in the pub. I like Speysides mainly.. oaky, vanilla, malty flavours like Auchentoshan, Glenmorangie etc.

Associate
Any Irish whiskey recommendations around the £40 mark? Have never really investigated beyond Jameson's etc in the pub. I like Speysides mainly.. oaky, vanilla, malty flavours like Auchentoshan, Glenmorangie etc.
I can't give you a direct recommendation, as I haven't really dipped into Irish whiskey myself, but the standard answer from the people I know that do drink it is usually Redbreast 12, if that helps.

Soldato
I'm in Inverness next week, going to be doing to Tomatin distillery and going to the Malt Room. Wondering if any has any other recommendations so Whiskey related things there?

Back
Top Bottom