• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
I see. So for some laptop/PC gaming on chrome (no 4k needed) then it'll be worth looking at certainly. But to game on your 4K TV you need a sub plus buying games of choice, plus the initial purchase.

There is no initial purchase. For the 4k service it is just the £8.99 p/m fee. The pre-order package is totally optional.
You can use your existing controller/keyboard&mouse and screen of your choice if is part of a system connected to the net. You do not need a chromecast if you can run a cable from your internet device to your screen (as I do).

Caporegime
OP
Well, I'm sold on Stadia. My XB1 is screwed

That's quite a good point. If your console broke down outside its 1-year warranty period, you are basically screwed and have to shell out another few hundred quid to buy a new one or get it repaired. Whereas with this, you don't have to worry about hardware ever again.

Man of Honour
I want to be interested in this because new and shiny but I just can't see it being responsive enough, even if your internet connection is good enough (mine isn't).

It's not aimed at us, this is for casual players who won't care about things like input latency.

Soldato
It's supposed to have the same input latency as playing natively on an Xbox One console, believe it or not. Digital Foundry did some testing a while back.

1080p on a 200Mb connection, probably a leased line from an office too. Not only that, they didn't use the same displays.

On the 15mb connection it drops to 720p resolution, lowers quality on top of this and has higher latency (188ms).

Overall, a pretty poor test. Will be interesting to see more reviews and real world results.

Soldato
There is no initial purchase. For the 4k service it is just the £8.99 p/m fee. The pre-order package is totally optional.
You can use your existing controller/keyboard&mouse and screen of your choice if is part of a system connected to the net. You do not need a chromecast if you can run a cable from your internet device to your screen (as I do).
Tbh it's the sub I have the most issue with and I'm not prepared to pay for that, I have enough outgoings as it is, where does it end...

I'll give it a go in 1080p via PC but remain sceptical regards input lag/latency.

Man of Honour
Yeah DF measured the X1X version of AC Odyssey and Stadia both had 166ms of latency. Very impressive, and it'll be more like 133ms with 60fps.

Why does AC Odyssey have such insane input lag on a physical console? That's a whole 10 frames if a game is 60fps!

They really carefully selected their test title there.

Caporegime
At the end of the day, I just don’t want to rely on an internet connection to game. At least if I’m playing Fifa on my PS4 and my internet goes down, I can switch to offline single player or stick another SP game on.

It’s an interesting concept, but I’ll always prefer owning the hardware myself, and having the link between the system and TV to be a 3ft HDMI cable rather than miles and miles of fibre optic.

Caporegime
OP
I’m most interested in seeing games that use platform specific features. The Ghost Recon game showed you live feeds of your three squad mates. You couldn’t really do that on other platforms because it relies on video being uploaded, integrated into the frame buffer, etc.

Soldato
As a dad I can see this easily killing off consoles and my laptop until the kids leave home. I don't really want to be buying a £1600 laptop every 4 years and at least with stadia, technically you'll never have to upgrade again.

Associate
I wonder what happens with DDOS attacks. Some muppet's bound to try it when it launches.

They are no different to any other server, all have protection now days.

Destiny 2 (being included) could be very Interesting for Stadia, it's still using p2p connection but everyone playing on same server (zero lag) only lag from server to you?

Back
Top Bottom