Gd has died

Soldato
The pre moderating of all posts had killed gd.
I would argue that it's not the moderation of the forum that's the issue, because while this forum is quite heavily/strictly moderated compared to most, it has always been this way.

The issue is IMO how inconsistent the moderation has become, I.E a discussion can be going for hours/days and even have mods taking part without issue then another mod will come along and nuke half the thread just because he doesn't personally find it interesting or within his personal definition of on-topic. This is obviously quite annoying to people who have been contributing to a quality discussion. Don't get me wrong either moderation has never been perfectly consistent, favouritism was always shown to some posters and others treated overly harsh, but these days it seems more than ever like the mods are all working from different rulebooks.

Soldato
Wasnt "put my fist under his chin" one too?

I do love the current Gucci belt/ highest revenue earner meme too

Edit: Quick search and putting your fist under his chin was one and often combined with a boxing stance for double memeage
I also vaguely remember a comic strip of a poster bigging himself up, only to shout for his mum to see if his fish fingers were ready :D I’m sure it was here ...

Commissario
Mentions above of meets outside London. The last London meet had about six people turn up.

I used to arrange the Swansea Christmas Bash and we’d generally get over thirty people turn up for that, it was a major event and a lot of friendships were made through those meets.

I think if we did one again, we’d be lucky to get five members arrive. Nobody seems to want to meet up any more and that’s a real shame.

Soldato
Mentions above of meets outside London. The last London meet had about six people turn up.

I used to arrange the Swansea Christmas Bash and we’d generally get over thirty people turn up for that, it was a major event and a lot of friendships were made through those meets.

I think if we did one again, we’d be lucky to get five members arrive. Nobody seems to want to meet up any more and that’s a real shame.

How many of them are now banned out of interest? Or if that isn't the issue, what do you think is?

I think moving lots of the general discussion away from GD, into their own sub forums is part of the problem. La cuisine is a ghost town, with just a handful of regular posters. Yet in GD food threads were big and had lots of discussion from lots of different people. Same with DIY, although the H&G forum is actually pretty decent, just needs more members. When GD was more of a general discussion forum it had a more warm and vibrant community imo and was a more inviting place to post. Now it seems to be left with just arguments about politics and religion, without the other threads to dilute them. Hardly the type of people that are all going to meet up lol.

Commissario
How many of them are now banned out of interest? Or if that isn't the issue, what do you think is?
Not many of the members who were around back then are still active. Yes, of course some are banned but people just move on.

The membership here is aging. We used to have lots of threads about school, college, exam results, all that sort of thing but we rarely see that nowadays. I mean, even @Matthew-1985 is nearly in his mid 30s now!

Caporegime
I think moving lots of the general discussion away from GD, into their own sub forums is part of the problem.

I can sort of see both sides of that - on one hand I get why people used to bemoan the fact a thread had been moved from GD and were right plenty of times that it would indeed then die... On the other hand GD is a bit less serious than the rest - if you have a question about DIY or about your job/career then you probably don't need a "poo in the letter box" or "its a queen wasp" response etc...

Soldato
Was he banned? I'd love to know how many more records he has broken. Must try and find his Youtube account as see if he has updated it :D

Nah he just stopped posting, he's visited the forums fairly recently I think but not posted.

I'd assume he's stopped taking whatever was making him a bit special or got professional help.

Soldato

Why have we all turned into such boring losers?

No meet ups. No spicy threads. No drama.

WHAT. WENT. WRONG!?

Associate
I've tapped in to this thread a couple of times, so I remember what the OP was moaning about before he edited his original post and removed all context about his oppression under the mods.

I joined this forum in late 2018. This place is a paradise as far as I can tell. I'm still a member of a forum or two from the early 2000s and witnessed their decline in to anarchy in the name of a culture of 'good fights' or similar sentiments. These were either encouraged by mods with their active participation or extremely harshly shutdown with arbitrary banning while on a power trip.

Compared with other forums I've been on, I would have to complain (/s) that OCUK GD posters lack the true will to dismember their fellow poster; to crush not only their opinion but every aspect of their life, to relentlessly stalk and ridicule their target, to inspire strangers to steam in with expletive filled vernacular about the soundness of the target's mind, lifestyle choices, moral compass and life decisions, and to attack relentlessly any kink in their armour that's exposed, revelling if they react and expose more kinks in their armour to the delight of all.

Fortunately this place is quite nice actually, though a few feel they get stroppy rights for being the first poster or two in a thread. Generally discussion takes off and the good people with something to say quickly outweigh the bad here in my opinion, and humour and wit still exists just fine.

Soldato

Why have we all turned into such boring losers?

No meet ups. No spicy threads. No drama.

WHAT. WENT. WRONG!?

Brexit, that's what done it.

Associate
TBH I wonder if the saving grace of this forum is that we all talk at cross-purposes and ignore one another as we contribute.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I've tapped in to this thread a couple of times, so I remember what the OP was moaning about before he edited his original post and removed all context about his oppression under the mods.

I joined this forum in late 2018. This place is a paradise as far as I can tell. I'm still a member of a forum or two from the early 2000s and witnessed their decline in to anarchy in the name of a culture of 'good fights' or similar sentiments. These were either encouraged by mods with their active participation or extremely harshly shutdown with arbitrary banning while on a power trip.

Compared with other forums I've been on, I would have to complain (/s) that OCUK GD posters lack the true will to dismember their fellow poster; to crush not only their opinion but every aspect of their life, to relentlessly stalk and ridicule their target, to inspire strangers to steam in with expletive filled vernacular about the soundness of the target's mind, lifestyle choices, moral compass and life decisions, and to attack relentlessly any kink in their armour that's exposed, revelling if they react and expose more kinks in their armour to the delight of all.

Fortunately this place is quite nice actually, though a few feel they get stroppy rights for being the first poster or two in a thread. Generally discussion takes off and the good people with something to say quickly outweigh the bad here in my opinion, and humour and wit still exists just fine.
Hear, hear!

Soldato
I have been on these forums since 1999 back when Spie was the only mod, owner and operator, back before the Hexus split, before the Team Pikard and the SETI incident.

So much has changed, people have left and others have replaced them, personalities have evolved and people have grown up. All in all the difference is opinion and personality.

Associate

I think moving lots of the general discussion away from GD, into their own sub forums is part of the problem. La cuisine is a ghost town, with just a handful of regular posters. Yet in GD food threads were big and had lots of discussion from lots of different people. Same with DIY, although the H&G forum is actually pretty decent, just needs more members. When GD was more of a general discussion forum it had a more warm and vibrant community imo and was a more inviting place to post. Now it seems to be left with just arguments about politics and religion, without the other threads to dilute them. Hardly the type of people that are all going to meet up lol.

Maybe there's an argument for reintegration of sub forums with low post turnover. Survival of the active.

Back
Top Bottom