Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
A Halo band wouldn't be as portable. However you can make the Quest way more comfortable using a counterweight - I'm using 10,000 mAh battery attached to a cushion and it makes a big difference, as well as giving more play time. I've also added some padding to the top two straps using a modified removable headphone cushion.

I'd happily sacrifice portability if it made the device more comfortable!

I'd looked at the VRCover but the initial feedback is that it really doesn't improve comfort much. Likewise I don't want to add a counter weight to the back of the headset as I worry it could damage the plastic straps at the side side due to the weight/torsion.

Has anyone tried the head strap from :-

https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/go-quest-deluxe-strap-black

Soldato
I agree that Oculus dropped the ball on the Quest's comfort. It is strange though that many people find it fine. I can't wear it for more than a few minutes without it hurting unless I attach a counterweight and/or cushion. I think Oculus should have had the battery in a cushion on the back. Then the battery would be replaceable and the weight would be better balanced. The main issue then is that the headset would be less comfortable when lying down or resting your head watching movies.

It's funny that I thought my Oculus Go was front heavy when watching movies, but it feels almost weightless after using the Quest.

Soldato
Can't even hear my Quest's fan.

A Halo band wouldn't be as portable. However you can make the Quest way more comfortable using a counterweight - I'm using 10,000 mAh battery attached to a cushion and it makes a big difference, as well as giving more play time. I've also added some padding to the top two straps using a modified removable headphone cushion.

Hmm really? Even in silent sceneS? Say if you go to the home menu and you decrease the volume to zero.. surely u can hear something. I have 2 quests. One is really quiet. One is quite but you can hear it if its silence in the room and game.

One has worse god rays than the other so its a bit of a pain deciding which to return.

Soldato
OP
I'd happily sacrifice portability if it made the device more comfortable!

I'd looked at the VRCover but the initial feedback is that it really doesn't improve comfort much. Likewise I don't want to add a counter weight to the back of the headset as I worry it could damage the plastic straps at the side side due to the weight/torsion.

Has anyone tried the head strap from :-

https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/go-quest-deluxe-strap-black
also this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3664951 just waiting for some filament to print, have the velcro.

Soldato
Oculus have told the developer of Virtual Desktop to remove support for Steam VR from the app. :mad: I understand why they've done this - it's to protect their ecosystem, but it's still very disappointing.

The developer is planning to make a version you can sideload. However I'm wondering how long it will be before Oculus locks down sideloading on the device, especially with Beat Saber mods, full games like Quake, and other streaming systems like ALVR all competing with Oculus official content.

Soldato
That's a worrying direction for Oculus to head in as they never seemed overly concerned by it on the Go headset.

It actually makes me think that they're planning what someone else suggested in this thread. Which is to release an official first party wireless adapter so that the Oculus Quest can link to a PC/laptop in order to run Oculus Rift Store games wirelessly ?

That would give Oculus a headset with the best features of everything combined. That ability to play games on the device and those with a decent PC could use it with that. Plus if VR game streaming ever becomes a thing they're prepared for that eventuality as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you could stream Oculus Store content then that'd make be very happy, if the quality were good enough. Being able to play Lone Echo on the Quest without wires would be amazing.

Soldato
OP
Oculus have told the developer of Virtual Desktop to remove support for Steam VR from the app. :mad: I understand why they've done this - it's to protect their ecosystem, but it's still very disappointing.

The developer is planning to make a version you can sideload. However I'm wondering how long it will be before Oculus locks down sideloading on the device, especially with Beat Saber mods, full games like Quake, and other streaming systems like ALVR all competing with Oculus official content.
Knew it. Thought they wouldn't be pleased as I said it a few posts back when they incorporated it.

Soldato
Knew it. Thought they wouldn't be pleased as I said it a few posts back when they incorporated it.
It's a dick move from oculus and I really hope the backlash they get makes them reconsider .
Honestly I do not see what oculus have to fear from it to be honest.
I think they stand to lose far more than they gain from this

Soldato
Honestly I do not see what oculus have to fear from it to be honest.
I think they stand to lose far more than they gain from this

They fear losing revenue if customers buy VR games via Steam rather than their own store! I doubt anyone would be put off buying an Oculus Quest but the lack of SteamVR support to be honest so it's not likely to cost them any sales.

Not saying I approve. Just playing devil's advocate as to their reasons for it from a business point of view.

Soldato
They fear losing revenue if customers buy VR games via Steam rather than their own store! I doubt anyone would be put off buying an Oculus Quest but the lack of SteamVR support to be honest so it's not likely to cost them any sales.

Not saying I approve. Just playing devil's advocate as to their reasons for it from a business point of view.
Maybe you are right but the thing is native support will be superior to using a steamVR wrapper IME. I dunno oculus are doing so much right imo for getting VR accessible to the masses but this kind of thing just takes the shine off imo.

Soldato
Maybe you are right but the thing is native support will be superior to using a steamVR wrapper IME. I dunno oculus are doing so much right imo for getting VR accessible to the masses but this kind of thing just takes the shine off imo.

Based on what third parties have managed to achieve over Wi-Fi less than a month after launch it seems very likely Oculus will eventually bring out a more official method of connecting the Quest (or a future mobile VR headset) wirelessly to a PC for use with their own Windows Oculus Store apps.

Soldato
It's a dick move from oculus and I really hope the backlash they get makes them reconsider .

How do we know that they didn't do this because they are developing their own streaming method for the Quest? Or maybe the functionality didn't pass the strict guidelines they have on the Apps/games been sold on the Oculus store. If they really wanted to block it completely they could have easily stopped sideloading. And the developer has already updated the Virtual desktop app with this.

I think people are overreacting to this news.

Soldato
Disabling sideloading on the Quest would only encourage modders to jailbreak it - a potentially much worse situation for Oculus as it'd enable full scale piracy.

Witness what happened with the PS3 when Sony removed Linux Support.

Back
Top Bottom