Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Gux

Gux

Associate
One of the most disapointing tech reveals in a long time for me. Honestly not sure who this is aimed at....

They will be asking £400 for a slightly improved version of Ocolus Go. Still hampered by weak mobile SoC (probably using Snapdragon 845) compared to PC, does not appear to be compatible with the existing Oculus store, since they mention it will launch with only 50+ games. What about the large catalogue of games/app from the Oculus store?

No improvements in FOV, lower refresh rate and it appears that it's not an oled panel. For some unknow reason to man kind it's not a hybrid system, so you can't plug it into the PC and use it that way.

Only real improvement is the resolution and no usb cable. Everything else is pretty much what we got with the Rift in 2016...

This also pretty much confirms Rift 2 won't be coming in 2019. We are now looking at H1 of 2020 at the earliest, possibly H2 of 2020. Hardly any improvement for the last 4 years by the looks of things.

Overall incredibly disappointing. All they are doing is splitting the platforms up and making it more expensive for developers to support all platforms. You can tell that it's Facebook owning Oculus, there seem to be no direction at all with this. Why do we need 3 seperate headsets? Why not have 1 cheaper mobile one (Oculus Go) and 1 expensive hybrid one (around £400 to £500).

This would have been perfect if you could plug it in PC and also use it as a mobile platform when you feel like it. Surely the costs would not have been that much higher to do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree. It's pretty disappointing as I don't want to be in a position where I have to buy both a mobile oculus quest AND an Oculus rift. It seems like they could make far more effort to integrate their platforms than they are.

I'd presume it'll run Oculus Go and gear VR stuff. Though having owned and returned an Oculus Go I didn't rate any games or content it offered as being worth having to be honest.

Unless they can seriously up what a mobile based VR platform is capable of, and also create compelling software for it, I doubt it's anything I'd be interested in.

Gux

Gux

Associate
I'd agree. It's pretty disappointing as I don't want to be in a position where I have to buy both a mobile oculus quest AND an Oculus rift. It seems like they could make far more effort to integrate their platforms than they are.

I'd presume it'll run Oculus Go and gear VR stuff. Though having owned and returned an Oculus Go I didn't rate any games or content it offered as being worth having to be honest.

Unless they can seriously up what a mobile based VR platform is capable of, and also create compelling software for it, I doubt it's anything I'd be interested in.

Judging by the inital reaction from gaming/tech forums, this headset is DOA. Hardly anyone seems to be genuine interested, most people seems to just want the Rift 2 and the biggest complaint is that you can't plug it into the PC. Oculus youtube channel showing off the new headset has hardly any views on the day of the reveal. If they can't generate interest now, I wonder who will still be interested in this come Spring 2019 which is 6 to 9 months away.

Like I said in my original post. Incredibly disappointing reveal. All they managed to do with this reveal is slow down the sales of Oculus Go, especially now coming into the holiday season. Should have reveal the headset in February next year instead of now. Amazing mismanagement in my opinion.

Associate
This looks great to me and could really help bring VR to the masses. My Rift is very much tied to my driving rig in the spare room which prevents me using if for anything else, short of building another PC for the living room and taking it back and forth. This for some standalone room scale VR in the living sounds perfect.

Associate
While this isn’t not for me, I want a wireless addon for the Rift.

I believe the Quest is going to be a huge seller, and THE product that pushes VR gaming to the mainstream.

Not everyone wants a PC, I’m concerned that the price tag is a little high at $399, I would have preferred $299. But this is going to sell like hot cakes, also it’s been confirmed that RoboRecall and SuperHot is coming to the Quest, two of the biggest PCVR titles.

Unreal and Unity works on both Quest and the Rift with no code changes, that’s huge.

Like I said, the Quest isn’t for me, I’m into PCVR, but I’m excited for the future of VR

The name though, Oculus Quest, its bloody awful

Edit: the only thing keeping me on PC rather than console now is my Rift, if the Oculus Quest handles games well enough, it may signal the end of me as a PC gamer.. Robo Recall, SuperHot, The Climb and Moss have all been confirmed to be coming to the Quest, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Echo Combat, Echo Arena and Rec Room too, if Onward also ends up being ported to the Quest I may have a big desicion to make..

Last edited:
Soldato
For me there were two things that made me send back the oculus go :-

1) the lack of dual controllers and 6DOF. Thankfully the quest (shudder! They really need a new name) fixes this

2) all the mobile VR games were lightweight and dull compared to what I'd already experienced on PSVR and PCVR. After playing Skyrim, fallout, firewall zero hour, Wipeout I'd zero interest in returning to what felt like a bunch of tech demos and free to play tat.

Pricing is also a problem as for £400 you can , right now, buy a PS4 AND VR starter kit. This already has a huge library of quality titles. By next spring Sony will likely be hyping up PS5/psvr2 and HTC may well have another Vive round the corner. Basically there will be plenty of reasons to wait and not bother with the Quest.

More than anything though this device will live or die depending on the software support it gets. Based on my experience of the Go is I've little faith in Oculus delivering on that. It's good they have Superhot and Moss but it'll take more than that to get folks to rush out and spend £400 in my opinion. To be fair though I do think that it is priced fairly for the technology that's inside it.

Last edited:
Associate
(probably using Snapdragon 845) .

It's using 835. From here:

Oculus Quest includes the same next-gen optics as Oculus Go, while incorporating an adjustable IPD slider like Rift for increased comfort. The new hardware uses 1600x1440 panels for each lens, providing a high-definition immersive experience for your games.

We’ve also improved our built-in audio, so you can take advantage of high-quality, sound with better bass—even without headphones.

Oculus Quest runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 mobile chip set, providing the device with lightning fast performance speeds. The entire headset has been designed to maximize the performance of this processor, from advanced thermal venting to OS-level performance improvements.

Soldato
I'm definitely interested in this. I love my Rift, but it's tied to my gaming PC in my attic which gives me limited room for moving around, plus I'm finding the cord increasingly annoying.

I think the graphics on this will be good enough, and the advantage of being wireless and being able to move around a much bigger space will be huge. It's a literal game changer. :rolleyes: :D

Wired / wireless tethered PC VR will still be the champion for detailed simulations, and huge graphically detailed games that won't fit/work on a mobile headset, but games like Beat Saber, Superhot, and fitness games like Box VR will shine on this.

WANT! (And I have an Oculus Go too, which I use for watching movies and playing simple games. I don't see the Quest replacing this, as the Go is so convenient to use.)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Maybe we're all wrong (me included) and Oculus are right.
It appears to be a standalone, go play anywhere, and as such, more aimed at people who play on a mobile phone or iPad than people who play using a PC to drive the game.

In short, it's a new market idea, not really met by existing solutions.
I do wonder if Oculus are right on this.

In the meantime, I very much concur that I've absolutely NOT interest in it. All I want to know is when will the Rift 2 surface, what will be it's resolution, FOV and will it have effective eye tracking and foveated rendering.

Soldato
One thing I want to know is how good the hand tracking is. WMR loses tracking if the controllers move out of headset view. I know the Quest has four wide angle cameras, but it could still lose tracking if your hand goes behind you. Actions like pulling a bowstring or holding onto a wall behind you in Echo Arena are cases where tracking could get iffy.

Associate
This is definitely going to open up VR to the majority of people. It's not really designed for the minority of hardcore VR enthusiasts with the high end PC wanting the highest level of graphical fidelity. It's 6DoF wireless standalone VR that you can take round to your friends house/parents house, grandma's house, into the garden, on your business trip into the hotel room, hell I could even take this to work and use a spare room on my lunch break, and have a blast on Beat Saber, Robo Recall, Rec Room and the like. Will still have to see if it lives up to what it's promising and it works as well as I'm hoping it will. I'm sure we'll get plenty of reviews that really dive into the nitty gritty and give us all the cons as well as the pros. Looking forward to seeing more about it as Spring draws closer.

Associate
I wouldn’t be interested in buying one personally as I’m happy enough with my current Rift set up, but if I was buying into VR for the first time I’d give serious thought to a set up such as this.

Agree the name is terrible though......

Soldato
OP
One thing I want to know is how good the hand tracking is. WMR loses tracking if the controllers move out of headset view. I know the Quest has four wide angle cameras, but it could still lose tracking if your hand goes behind you. Actions like pulling a bowstring or holding onto a wall behind you in Echo Arena are cases where tracking could get iffy.
could/do they not switch over to IMU and gyro sensing when optical tracking is lost so they can extrapolate the position?

C'mon Beat Sabre on the train commute home will be epic :D

Back
Top Bottom