Car stuck in a drain

Soldato
All done!

Had a recovery guy out, he managed to jack it up from near the back and get axle stands in, then jacking a bit more to get the axle stands nearer to the front to where he wanted them. Then he used one of the metal ramps that you would use to drive a car onto the recovery truck under the front wheel so the car was like sitting on a bridge over the drain and then drove the car off.

Zero damage, can't even find a scratch on the paint work in that area either. :) Although I'm now 30 notes lighter. :(

Edit: I know in theory I could have done it all myself but I don't have a trolley jack or axle stands or any thing suitable to rest car on. Trying to call in favours from friends and family is a challenge to get everyone with the right components at the right time.
bet he logged on here quick and read Hades' post above ;-D

Man of Honour
All done!

Had a recovery guy out, he managed to jack it up from near the back and get axle stands in, then jacking a bit more to get the axle stands nearer to the front to where he wanted them. Then he used one of the metal ramps that you would use to drive a car onto the recovery truck under the front wheel so the car was like sitting on a bridge over the drain and then drove the car off.

Zero damage, can't even find a scratch on the paint work in that area either. :) Although I'm now 30 notes lighter. :(

Edit: I know in theory I could have done it all myself but I don't have a trolley jack or axle stands or any thing suitable to rest car on. Trying to call in favours from friends and family is a challenge to get everyone with the right components at the right time.
Good stuff. If your car has a spare wheel then it will also have a scissor jack in the boot. If you have those then you could use the jack and then the spare wheel placed flat under the car for support (it might damage the wheel due to the weight but could get you out of a bad situation if no other option).

Soldato
OP
Get a proper lid in that inspection chamber if that's your property. What's collapsed there just seems to be a paving slab.

It was a proper lid, an old metal, maybe cast iron, one made donkey years ago probably. Mind it does have a paving slab over it at the moment until I can source a replacement cover. The generic one B&Q (and Amazon & eBay) sell is too small to fit so looks like I will have to hunt for a second hand one.

Good stuff. If your car has a spare wheel then it will also have a scissor jack in the boot. If you have those then you could use the jack and then the spare wheel placed flat under the car for support (it might damage the wheel due to the weight but could get you out of a bad situation if no other option).

Maybe I could but they saved me getting dirrty.

Caporegime
It was a proper lid, an old metal, maybe cast iron, one made donkey years ago probably. Mind it does have a paving slab over it at the moment until I can source a replacement cover. The generic one B&Q (and Amazon & eBay) sell is too small to fit so looks like I will have to hunt for a second hand one.

Maybe I could but they saved me getting dirrty.

Not being funny but it's not like the ground the drain is in is pristine or newly paved, just buy a new cover and replace the existing

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that you're replacing the broken cover?

If so, why?

From what I can tell you did nothing wrong and the only reason the cover collapsed was because it was in a shocking state to begin with. If anything, I'd say those responsible for its maintenance owe you to the tune of at least £30.

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that you're replacing the broken cover?

If so, why?

From what I can tell you did nothing wrong and the only reason the cover collapsed was because it was in a shocking state to begin with. If anything, I'd say those responsible for its maintenance owe you to the tune of at least £30.
think you missed the bit where he said this was his own property.

he should have a good old time chasing himself for the recovery money he now owes himself :D

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the standard solution the most kids would adopt these days would be to just leave it there and go and get a brand new base model German car on finance.

And then spend twice the difference from the cost of a base model to the top spec model making it look like the top spec model .....

Or showing off on YouTube and having your finance cancelled.....

Back
Top Bottom