What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
The Expanse - Just finished Season 1 which we have been binge re-watching 2 or 3 episodes an evening. 11/10.

Wow, just wow. This show really pulls you in and has you on the edge of the seat trying to understand all the intrigue and it is absolutely brilliant how the various strands were tied together in the last couple of episodes. SFX are great and the sci-fi tech is on a believable level, i.e. what we could probably achieve in 50 - 100 years if we put our minds (and money) towards it. No FTL/jump drive/wormhole malarkey (well I know the end of the 3rd season kind of goes there). Best space arc based sci-fi since Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Babylon 5.
I also enjoyed Season 1 once it got going. I did think that the tying of things together was a mixed bag, which actually took away from the intrigue. There were multiple plotlines that converged a little too quickly for my liking.

It had a similar thing to other TV shows like GoT where characters have scenes together for the first time and it feels odd. It usually happens when a strong actor gets paired with a weaker actor and there's an incongruence in their acting abilities.
Met Thomas Jane at the hotel I worked at, amazing guy, it must have been just after filming because he looked just like miller same clothes and hair, but I hadnt even heard of the expanse until he told me about it. would have praised him heavily otherwise ...

The Expanse is sooooo good that after the tv show i read all books 1-8 one after the other, I haven't read a book in 15+ years, THATS how good the Expanse is

Soldato
Yes I'm planning on buying and reading the books too.

Just got to S2 Ep5 where Miller
manages to divert Eros and crash into Venus.
Must admit there were a couple of tears in my eye at that moment.

Soldato
Just finished S4 of Parks and Rec, 3 more seasons to go!

20mins per episode, perfect just to throw on and chill for a few episodes.

4 episodes of S10 Archer are also out - 2/4 were good, but definitely a step up to the last terrible season.

Soldato
Already posted twice about Haunting of Hill House in this thread and feel the need to post again after episode 6. It's essentially a series of long shot with little cuts, the entire 51 minutes comprises of just 5 scenes. I've not felt tension like that over such a long period in any horror of recent memory.

The actual horror elements are so excellently crafted again, as mentioned before, without the use of cheap jump scares.

Caporegime
Already posted twice about Haunting of Hill House in this thread and feel the need to post again after episode 6. It's essentially a series of long shot with little cuts, the entire 51 minutes comprises of just 5 scenes. I've not felt tension like that over such a long period in any horror of recent memory.

The actual horror elements are so excellently crafted again, as mentioned before, without the use of cheap jump scares.

I've had a thing for long shots since Goodfellas, so really noticed and appreciated them in this :D

Soldato
Finished Westworld S1. It was alright. Saw a lot of boobs, wasn't especially intrigued by the mystery, but quite enjoyed the ride.

Started Happy S2. Right in my slot, this one. Probably not for everyone, but I love it. Can't remember much of the specifics of S1, though, so feeling slightly lost wrt characters. might read a S1 synopsis to catch back up.

Soldato
Up to season 4 of Suits, kind of always the same formula episode after episode but it's got a great cast of very charismatic people and it's a nice bit of escapism.

Donna is very easy on the eyes as well.

Associate
Up to season 4 of Suits, kind of always the same formula episode after episode but it's got a great cast of very charismatic people and it's a nice bit of escapism.

Donna is very easy on the eyes as well.
I like Suits. As you say, it's fomulaic, but it's easy to watch and entertaining. Once Netflix took over, the language gets a bit more fruity as well.

The Mrs and I have been watching New Amsterdam. Kind of like a less intense ER. Ryan Eggold is great in it.

I've just started watching Agents of Shield Season 6. They seem to have upped the budget (I think this season is shorter). Still great!

Going to pick up Black Sails again (season 2), Vikings (Season 5B) and there may be room for another.

Soldato
I like Suits. As you say, it's fomulaic, but it's easy to watch and entertaining. Once Netflix took over, the language gets a bit more fruity as well.

When did Netflix take it over? I did notice a "dick head" in a recent episode, for some reason it buckles me when americans say it, it feels like such a wholeheartedly british swear word.

Soldato
Just watched Last Breath on Netflix it's also on BBC iplayer.
It's about a diver in the North Sea that gets into trouble on the sea bed.
It's nearly all footage of the actual events brilliant docu/drama.
Watched it last night, very good and quite intense. I could not even consider getting locked in their habitat for 28 days, let alone going 100m down.

Associate
When did Netflix take it over? I did notice a "dick head" in a recent episode, for some reason it buckles me when americans say it, it feels like such a wholeheartedly british swear word.
I think it was about Season 7. Whenever they start dropping the F bomb was when it went over I believe.

Associate
Is it not a little jarring after years of it being a bit more family friendly language wise?
It does end up feeling somewhat like a child with a new toy for a few episodes - because we can now swear properly, let's do it each episode kind-of vibe.

On another note, have you got any other shows for me? We seem to always end up in the same threads haha!

Soldato
On another note, have you got any other shows for me? We seem to always end up in the same threads haha!

I had noticed that too.

Right now i'm only really watching Suits and Haunting of Hill House, the latter is better than almost any horror i've ever watched and I do watch a fair bit.

I just finished Billions but i'd assume if you're into Suits, you'd have already watched that, while not as light hearted or accessible, there are some strong parallels.

Soldato
Frontier (Netflix)
Just started season 3. Jason Momoa, fur trade 1800s (I think), a fair bit of violence. Alun Armstrong makes a good villain.

The Rookie (some Sky channel but watching it via NowTV)
Nathan Fillion, new cop show, quite entertaining and light hearted.

Associate
I had noticed that too.

Right now i'm only really watching Suits and Haunting of Hill House, the latter is better than almost any horror i've ever watched and I do watch a fair bit.

I just finished Billions but i'd assume if you're into Suits, you'd have already watched that, while not as light hearted or accessible, there are some strong parallels.
Actually not watched Billions! Might have to give that a shot.

Back
Top Bottom