Philips Momentum - 43" 4K HDR

Soldato
If OCUK stocked it I wouldn't be in this mess lol. OCUK are a million times more organised than stockist X. They did refund me £38 so far to say sorry.

Well you say that.. But they haven't even got stock so that's not very organised ;) hope you get your monitor for the weekend!

Soldato
OK so HLG hdr works over HDMI so there is a new unadvertised feature. Unlike TV sets like my Sony Xd8599 the BBC uhd feed is bright enough to watch. Looks dull on most tvs apparently.

You can't tune the picture in hdr mode but it was sweet in farcry 5. I have found that it's OK to have 100 brightness and 75 contrast in sdr mode if you are happy to fiddle with the colour temperature. I'm not settled but I think 9300k is nice.

If you are only 2 feet from the screen you can see a magazine print effect but at native res in games at 3-4 feet using a pad it's fine.

HDR performance beats tvs and I've not owned a screen without bleed or dsr at any price before so for this to have zero of either is a real treat. Including compensation for problems I paid under £670 delivered so am over the moon as it will outperform any TV upto I'd say £2000 in 2018.

I've managed to keep my surround system by outputting HDMI to it and displayport mini to the monitor. Unlike my TV it accepts 10bit rgb 3840x2160 (it does use frc) and never stutters which was a problem on the Sony TV.

I don't recommend using fast faster fastest response as they leave trails in games but normal is really good and way snappier than a 24ms TV. I'd say this must be under 9ms.

I'm never gaming on a TV again.

If you want anything specific let me know but bear in mind I like amped up colours and crazy high brightness and am not a cinema purist.

Soldato
Sounds like a good monitor in many respects, but that dithering issue sounds like a killer for me...

If the dithering is that magazine print effect I'd agree it is the only bad point I have found but it is really quite noticeable in games when you pan around. I have found a new menu with a couple of game modes and isf modes and I'll be playing around with those tonight. I thought dithering was the 8bit + frc bit in which case I'll be honest there is no banding on skyboxes which is really good.

I gave xbox one x and ps4 pro a go with forza horizon 3 hdr and gran turismo sport hdr and those were a marked improvement for response times and colour over a tv for sure.

Another thing to try tonight will be the VRR support on X1X - I'll be testing to see if it works with and without the AV amp in the signal path using the vanishing of ethan carter ala Digital foundry.

Last edited:
Associate
OK so HLG hdr works over HDMI so there is a new unadvertised feature. Unlike TV sets like my Sony Xd8599 the BBC uhd feed is bright enough to watch. Looks dull on most tvs apparently.

You can't tune the picture in hdr mode but it was sweet in farcry 5. I have found that it's OK to have 100 brightness and 75 contrast in sdr mode if you are happy to fiddle with the colour temperature. I'm not settled but I think 9300k is nice.

If you are only 2 feet from the screen you can see a magazine print effect but at native res in games at 3-4 feet using a pad it's fine.

HDR performance beats tvs and I've not owned a screen without bleed or dsr at any price before so for this to have zero of either is a real treat. Including compensation for problems I paid under £670 delivered so am over the moon as it will outperform any TV upto I'd say £2000 in 2018.

I've managed to keep my surround system by outputting HDMI to it and displayport mini to the monitor. Unlike my TV it accepts 10bit rgb 3840x2160 (it does use frc) and never stutters which was a problem on the Sony TV.

I don't recommend using fast faster fastest response as they leave trails in games but normal is really good and way snappier than a 24ms TV. I'd say this must be under 9ms.

I'm never gaming on a TV again.

If you want anything specific let me know but bear in mind I like amped up colours and crazy high brightness and am not a cinema purist.

Hi,

Can I ask you some questions?

1)Does it support 24hz resolutions for blu-ray movies or videos 24p?
2)Is it ok for desktop use?
3) Someone says that actually DP and miniDP are 1.4 so does it supports hdcp 2.2. Did you notice that?
4)Does it support hdcp 2.2 over HDMI? Could I connect a SkyQ decoder?

Thank you and sorry for many questions.

Regards

Soldato
Hi, I connected Sky Q and 4k works fine. 24hz mode sometimes works and sometimes 1080p works but it often doesn't find input below 2160p/50hz. All inputs are 4:4:4 UHD 60hz - I did need a decent displayport mini cable from lindy cromo though. I've left my UHD bluray player LG970 on 60hz as it keeps blinking out at 24hz. hdcp 2.2 splitters and switch boxes do not work with this monitor. Desktop use is fine but I prefer using it as a movie screen as the magazine print effect is visible when using desktop. Absolutely the highest spec 43" or lower hdr screen in the world when used for movies. It's my bedroom telly now lol because I bought a brighter screen Sony XF9005.

Soldato
Update: Turns out my example was a damaged one from all that mucking about in shipping to the UK as the backlight was showing through like a grid on the darkest scenes in HDR games like underwater in shadow of the tomb raider. Phillips were amazing and shipped me a brand new unit with the best backlight possible on a screen of this size -absolutely no backlight issues. It is a lot better than the first screen for desktop use too. This one has uniformity of 100% in all parts of the screen and only 99% in one top left corner - hits 997nits and 18000:1 contrast on the displayhdr windows store app too. This seems a lot better than any of the review units reviewed out there so to find pretty much a 'golden sample' of the Phillips is good as now it'll be better than the FALD tv and also have really high resale value if I ever upgrade to 144hz 4k next year. I believe they tested and calibrated this screen before sending.

Soldato
Update: Turns out my example was a damaged one from all that mucking about in shipping to the UK as the backlight was showing through like a grid on the darkest scenes in HDR games like underwater in shadow of the tomb raider. Phillips were amazing and shipped me a brand new unit with the best backlight possible on a screen of this size -absolutely no backlight issues. It is a lot better than the first screen for desktop use too. This one has uniformity of 100% in all parts of the screen and only 99% in one top left corner - hits 997nits and 18000:1 contrast on the displayhdr windows store app too. This seems a lot better than any of the review units reviewed out there so to find pretty much a 'golden sample' of the Phillips is good as now it'll be better than the FALD tv and also have really high resale value if I ever upgrade to 144hz 4k next year. I believe they tested and calibrated this screen before sending.

Brilliant that you got such a good replacement!!

Sorry for late reply to this thread and your post, but I was thinking of getting one of these as a computer monitor. I wouldn't be using it for gaming at all. It's main use would be desktop stuff, web surfing, some photo and video editing(nothing remotely serious) and maybe a movie ever now and then.

I have been reading some reviews and some of them mention that it's not suitable for desktop use as it's too big and text doesn't look right because of the pixel layout.

Are those reviews right? My viewing distance will be between 2ft and 3ft away. Would you be able to sit at that distance from your screen and surf some webpages and see what it's like please? Also, if you can make any comments, good or bad, about using the screen as a desktop monitor only, it would really help my purchasing decision.

One more question, have you used the Multiview feature? And does it work from two inputs from the same GPU?

It's a choice between 2 decent 27 inch monitors or this.

Soldato
Brilliant that you got such a good replacement!!

Sorry for late reply to this thread and your post, but I was thinking of getting one of these as a computer monitor. I wouldn't be using it for gaming at all. It's main use would be desktop stuff, web surfing, some photo and video editing(nothing remotely serious) and maybe a movie ever now and then.

I have been reading some reviews and some of them mention that it's not suitable for desktop use as it's too big and text doesn't look right because of the pixel layout.

Are those reviews right? My viewing distance will be between 2ft and 3ft away. Would you be able to sit at that distance from your screen and surf some webpages and see what it's like please? Also, if you can make any comments, good or bad, about using the screen as a desktop monitor only, it would really help my purchasing decision.

One more question, have you used the Multiview feature? And does it work from two inputs from the same GPU?

It's a choice between 2 decent 27 inch monitors or this.

I use the desktop as much as I use games. The print effect from the pixel structure is visible at 2ft but not at 3ft. There are a number of settings you can tweak for text from the exact RGB balance to the sharpness, all of which help. It's a hell of a lot sharper than the 2 Sony tvs I was using (XD8599 and XF9005) and the text whilst typing this is beautiful and crisp with no haloing or noise. Use Displayport for 10bit is my guide. If you just have desktop speakers the monitor can pass stereo sound out from a 3.5mm socket and the SNR is good from this to a decent amp. If you have surround you'd have to use HDMI or compressed audio from a sound card but HDMI only does 8bit.

Soldato
I use the desktop as much as I use games. The print effect from the pixel structure is visible at 2ft but not at 3ft. There are a number of settings you can tweak for text from the exact RGB balance to the sharpness, all of which help. It's a hell of a lot sharper than the 2 Sony tvs I was using (XD8599 and XF9005) and the text whilst typing this is beautiful and crisp with no haloing or noise. Use Displayport for 10bit is my guide. If you just have desktop speakers the monitor can pass stereo sound out from a 3.5mm socket and the SNR is good from this to a decent amp. If you have surround you'd have to use HDMI or compressed audio from a sound card but HDMI only does 8bit.

Thanks Bemaniac :) Won't be using the speakers on the monitor so the sound quality isn't an issue. Also I will be connecting using display port.

And going by your post it seems that the text is fine on this monitor for reading. Do you do any photo editing or video editing at all?

One more question, It has a Multiview feature. Can you connect to this monitor using HDMI and DP and have them both displayed side by side?

Soldato
Thanks Bemaniac :) Won't be using the speakers on the monitor so the sound quality isn't an issue. Also I will be connecting using display port.

And going by your post it seems that the text is fine on this monitor for reading. Do you do any photo editing or video editing at all?

One more question, It has a Multiview feature. Can you connect to this monitor using HDMI and DP and have them both displayed side by side?

I only do encoding and demuxing really but it's perfectly good for text. Hdmi and dp can go left and right/ swap/ pbp and pip in the corner too. You can use mini dp or usb c as 2nd screen too. 1920x2160 i think for full screen each half.

Soldato
I only do encoding and demuxing really but it's perfectly good for text. Hdmi and dp can go left and right/ swap/ pbp and pip in the corner too. You can use mini dp or usb c as 2nd screen too. 1920x2160 i think for full screen each half.

That sounds really good. You addressed my two biggest concerns, text and split screen. Think I am going to take the plunge and get one :)

Soldato
Hi! Whoever sent me a trust I lost it but here was my reply:

Well I mostly browse the web at the moment and watch HDR UHD discs and there isn’t a monitor out even up-to the new £2700 one that I’d swap this for because I’d lose at least 1 feature this monitor has.

You wouldn’t want to watch UHD discs on an ultrawide for example

From 1.5 feet away you cannot see the pixel structure so for tables and stocks - perfect. If you get a good example with a good backlight uniformity then it’s hard to beat. If you get one with bad conformity then darn it!. There is one some guy is selling on auctions for like £375 though and it looks great in the pics so you could try that if £600 seems a bit of a plunge.

Associate
Hi! Whoever sent me a trust I lost it but here was my reply:

Well I mostly browse the web at the moment and watch HDR UHD discs and there isn’t a monitor out even up-to the new £2700 one that I’d swap this for because I’d lose at least 1 feature this monitor has.

You wouldn’t want to watch UHD discs on an ultrawide for example

From 1.5 feet away you cannot see the pixel structure so for tables and stocks - perfect. If you get a good example with a good backlight uniformity then it’s hard to beat. If you get one with bad conformity then darn it!. There is one some guy is selling on auctions for like £375 though and it looks great in the pics so you could try that if £600 seems a bit of a plunge.

Hey Bemaniac - that was me asking in trust. Thanks for the detailed info. Sounds like what Im looking for.

Soldato

Sorry @bemaniac, just another couple of questions. Do you have the model with the two HDMI ports or the model with one? And is there a manufacturer date or firmware version listed? You know these TVs are released in batches, so chances are if I get one with a manufacturer date the same as yours, or the same rev/firmware version, it will probably be just as good.

Back
Top Bottom