Philips Momentum - 43" 4K HDR

Soldato
No problem. It has been too long since I've used the BDM4065UC and I didn't really make any thorough observations on that aspect, so not sure how it compares. As I say in the review, some users wouldn't notice the issue even from relatively close to the screen. And it is something you can get used to I feel.

You might be right, it could even be less noticeable than you think compared to older monitors.

I've taken a close-up photo of the menu bar on the pcmonitors.info site, and this is how it looks on a BDM4065UC (photo taken using a Samsung S8, straight settings). Personally, I think the older monitor looks far worse, but I've no idea because a) not sure if my photo was sufficient to judge against, and b) I'm not a monitor expert. What do you think?

6FsOClO.png

Soldato
The text fringing issue looks somewhat worse on your image. Not sure about the static dithering, you'd need to take a picture of a nice colourful desktop wallpaper or something to highlight that.

Soldato
I have no idea. It shouldn't do. I haven't had anybody else report such things and Google has not flagged it as having any security issues whatsoever (and I can assure you - it does not have Spyware and hasn't been hacked). See also https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/pcmonitors.info and other similar scanners.

Can you access YouTube? Do other sites give you this issue? Could be that your work doesn't like embedded YouTube videos or something.

They mark a lot of sites I think to stop us going on communities. Youtube works fine funnily enough.

Would you say the new Philips would be an improvement in fluidity and punchy bright colours over my Sony 55XD8599? I did wonder if I'd be ok going 12 inches smaller but if the panel doesn't have the grey bleed in the corners like this Sony and goes above 400 nits because the Sony sure doesn't then it should be better for HDR. I get the BGR overshooting on text with the tv too and I'd say my response times are alright but I want faster.

Soldato
They mark a lot of sites I think to stop us going on communities. Youtube works fine funnily enough.

Would you say the new Philips would be an improvement in fluidity and punchy bright colours over my Sony 55XD8599? I did wonder if I'd be ok going 12 inches smaller but if the panel doesn't have the grey bleed in the corners like this Sony and goes above 400 nits because the Sony sure doesn't then it should be better for HDR. I get the BGR overshooting on text with the tv too and I'd say my response times are alright but I want faster.

The upgrade from IPS to VA in terms of contrast will be significant, as will the superior HDR performance. It is compared favourably to much more capable IPS-type HDR solutions (with 384-dimming zones) in the review. You can also enjoy far lower input lag, although depending on sensitivity to it that may not be such a big bonus really. And last but not least, the Philips has a somewhat more generous colour gamut. So you may find it looks more vibrant overall.

Soldato
The upgrade from IPS to VA in terms of contrast will be significant, as will the superior HDR performance. It is compared favourably to much more capable IPS-type HDR solutions (with 384-dimming zones) in the review. You can also enjoy far lower input lag, although depending on sensitivity to it that may not be such a big bonus really. And last but not least, the Philips has a somewhat more generous colour gamut. So you may find it looks more vibrant overall.

Bloomin' fantastic news for me. I was going to wait for a 35" Gsync HDR1000 but this is much more in my price range after dropping £1500 on the Sony at launch in early 2016. Thank you.

Soldato
Shame there is only one HDMI input, according to Philips tech specs the LCD panel type is MVA which apparentley solves the birefringence effect. Looks a good console display. DisplayPort 1.2 might be limiting for deep colour?

Soldato
Thought this would be in the shop by now. Philips aren't answering my emails. I have da munny and want to splash on some 1200 cd/m2 goodness for uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank not to mention a definite replay through Andromeda on pc and farcry 5 already looks delicious on a 400 nit Sony hdr. forget 120hz and ultrawide this is the big daddy

Associate
I have been waiting for this baby for over a year now ... had been checking the net many many times since then ... problem is I spent most of my 'free available cash' (being married with a kid - puts a damper on 700pound purchases ...) - well least for now.

Really enjoyed the review! - Ive been wanting to upgrade my monitor for ages now and have been waiting for the 'perfect 40-43inch to do just that' - too bad about the freesync but oh well; maybe AMD will catch up someday.

Soldato
My 436M6 Has been ordered! Paid under £700 shipped including VAT :)

Will be posting impressions here as soon as it arrives from European distributor. It went on sale at about 9am and I'd bought it by 9.01 lol.

Back
Top Bottom