• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Seems kind of backwards if i go from 32GB of 2800mhz ram to 16GB 3600mhz if i upgrade, at least in capacity, but then I'm not sure I've ever seen more than about 12GB or so used anyway so far.

Hmm.. to upgrade 5820k or not..

Soldato
In other words, irrespective of whether AMD took the lead, you'd be buying Intel regardless. #fanboy
No. I am locked and loaded to buy which ever chip is the best. My next upgrade will be mobo, cpu and ram so whichever comes out on top will get my money.

PCI 4.0 is a bit of a consideration but I cant see new cards taking advantage of that in the next 5 years

Associate
I can't wait, 3570 to 3900X, 8Gb to 32Gb ram, 970 to 2070 gpu, 128Gb+1Tb to 3x1Tb SSD

I've waited 6 years for something decent to upgrade to.

Soldato
AMD have been quite critical of Nvidia selling RTX with all their latest cards. PCIe4 has the same ring to it TBH.

People don't like being forced to pay for something they didn't ask for, dont need, and can't even use.

It's a bit different to be fair.

RTX isn't powerful enough to for decent ray tracing and never will be. It's a gimmic for now which may be better in future cards.

An RTX 2080Ti is already on the edge with PCI-E 3 X8, next gen cards are only 12m away, this high end platform will need something more than 2x8 PCI-E 3 for these cards if high end users want dual cards etc.

X570 is pitched as a high end desktop platform which may well exist for 2 or more years and be in use for more than 5years. PCI-E 4 will become useful on the boards.

Soldato
PCI 4.0 is a bit of a consideration but I cant see new cards taking advantage of that in the next 5 years

Which is interesting when some people are talking about holding off because PCIE 5 will be out soon. I wouldn't bet against the power of GPUs jumping up fast. Intel sounds serious and Nvidia look to be sandbagging with 7nm around the corner. RDNA has lots of potential and a three way fight is going to push up performance quickly I think.

Associate
You do understand that clock speed by itself isn't everything, right?

5Ghz on one architecture isn't directly comparable to 5Ghz on another.
Yes and yes I know BUT fps in one game is directly comparable to fps in another. Just let me know which games and at what resolutions you believe any of the new AMD offerings will beat 9900K all core 5ghz.

Associate
Thats a bit unfair. We don't know how the new CPU's will OC yet. And your comparing them to an OC'd 9900K?
What else should I compare them to? I'm interested in current performance and the 9900K is from last year (so already an 'old' architecture) on a 14nm process and as we've said countless times in this thread an iterative advance on the same architecture Intel have been pushing for a decade. If a completely new CPU design on a 7nm process can't beat Intel's old 14nm design you have to wonder what all the fuss has been about. Don't get me wrong I really want AMD to win this rather then come a close second best but I'm not going to pay for second best at similar platform cost. I'll stick with what I have and wait a year or two.

Soldato
An RTX 2080Ti is already on the edge with PCI-E 3 X8, next gen cards are only 12m away, this high end platform will need something more than 2x8 PCI-E 3 for these cards if high end users want dual cards etc.
It is the resolution, not the card which is the biggest factor here. Current games don't even saturate PCIe 3.0 x4 at 4K. If you are running 4K HDR at 144 Hz it just edges into the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x8. PCIe 4.0 only becomes a factor at 8K or above.

Soldato
I've not looked at any data but logically shouldn't that be the other way around, as you go up in resolution aren't you sending less data to the GPU.

Permabanned
In other words, irrespective of whether AMD took the lead, you'd be buying Intel regardless. #fanboy

If 3600X is as fast as i7-8700K/i7-8086K/i7-9700K, and 3700X/3800X are as fast as i9-9900K, I don't see what exactly lead AMD is taking, besides offering more cores for the most expensive tiers.

It is the resolution, not the card which is the biggest factor here. Current games don't even saturate PCIe 3.0 x4 at 4K. If you are running 4K HDR at 144 Hz it just edges into the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x8. PCIe 4.0 only becomes a factor at 8K or above.

In order to saturate the PCIe lanes, there should be very intense transfer of data between ther CPU, the GPU and the memory. If the CPU can't manage to send big packets of data to the GPU and vise versa, the bus won't ever be the limitting factor. The bottleneck is not in its bandwidth.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve gone with the Mortar Titanium B450 as from the VRM spreadsheet it showed really good compatibility across the range of 3 series CPUs for a mATX board.

I’m hoping the Flashback feature works well but on the MSI website they’re only showing the Beta BIOS for Ryzen 3 support so I’ll hang on until the official version is released.

Soldato

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3366-nvlink-benchmark-rtx-2080-ti-pcie-bandwidth-x16-vs-x8

Seems to conclude around 1% benefit of x16 in SLI except for Ashes which forces all data through PCI ignoring NVlink and so takes ~15% dive.

Next generation or two will likely need more than PCI-E 3 at the high end and this is now AMDs high end gaming platform.

Associate
The suggestion performance isnt quite there on older boards is a bit concerning but I"m still going to stick with my original plan of popping a new 8 core CPU in my X370, otherwise the whole motherboard promise is a bit worthless really. I mean its one of the reasons I went with the original 1st gen Ryzen in the first place. With any luck the differences are negligible outside of benchmarks?

Guess we'll find out in a couple of days anyway!

Soldato
The suggestion performance isnt quite there on older boards is a bit concerning but I"m still going to stick with my original plan of popping a new 8 core CPU in my X370, otherwise the whole motherboard promise is a bit worthless really. I mean its one of the reasons I went with the original 1st gen Ryzen in the first place. With any luck the differences are negligible outside of benchmarks?

Guess we'll find out in a couple of days anyway!

board vendors have know idea of AMDs grand scheme plan, same with Intel etc and then worse with GPUs.

also they had no idea with how ryzen would take off and mentioned this time and time again, the FIRST engineering samples sent to all board vendors was crap... retail came out completely different and surprised them . AMD also had zero $$ for marketing . Flip to now and Board vendors chucking the whole kitchen sink out there! Even have Gigabyte putting 16 PLUS cores on their marketing !

Soldato
I’ve gone with the Mortar Titanium B450 as from the VRM spreadsheet it showed really good compatibility across the range of 3 series CPUs for a mATX board.

I’m hoping the Flashback feature works well but on the MSI website they’re only showing the Beta BIOS for Ryzen 3 support so I’ll hang on until the official version is released.

would have gone with their ITX personally and used it in mATX case, VRM is on a different league altogether with wifi for £114 . In theory, built easily enough for 12 cores overclocked

I can't wait, 3570 to 3900X, 8Gb to 32Gb ram, 970 to 2070 gpu, 128Gb+1Tb to 3x1Tb SSD

I've waited 6 years for something decent to upgrade to.

Nice! what monitor you rocking it with ?

What x470 boards should I be looking at for a 3900x? Going to splash on a Super 2080 instead of a 570 board since I will not be overclocking that much.

aorus 7 for £220, just under x570 Pro which is £260 odd i believe and more then elite which is £215 . sits above the Elite but just under the Pro .

Then you've got X470 MSI Carbon, x470 Taichi as well !

moving onto more interesting topics, hypothetically speaking, and asking for a friend...

x570 aorus master / CH8 Hero

they're looking like the same price point. I'm They're thinking, other than the extrra m.2 on the master, it comes down to 'what bios'

thoughts?!

Master should sit under £400 with UK RMA and 12 phases with 16 phase controller vs asus 14 using doublers
Hero uses IR 3555 Which is 60amps and Master is IR 3556 which is 50amps . Hero uses more more powerful amps with doublers and Master uses newer cooler and lower amp units but with no doublers . also Hero will be more then the Master . Specially with the Strix is coming in £40-80 more then the Pro/Ultra boards

heads up £340 Strix X570 - cant listen to sound in work- trying to work out VRMs without hearing him

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom