• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I see what you mean. If they only match the 8700/8086k then its like AMD have released a CPU which matches a Q4 2017 CPU in the summer of 2019 with a few more cores.

I think there needs to be some perspective here though, because going from a 6700k to a 9900k is a minor single thread bump due to marginal IPC increases and clock speed bumps. In the same vein you can argue that the 9900k is just a better bin 6700k with some cores bolted on. The other consideration is that the new Ryzen's are just about matching intel in gaming, but anything and everything else is pretty much a clean sweep for AMD.

I'll happily take a new Ryzen with Intel matching gaming performance at a cheaper price, the fact it's also quicker at every other task is a bonus, as is the fact I have more upgrade options and can re-use my motherboard and RAM.

Associate
So glad I decided to purchase a B450 board. I will probably upgrade to an X570 board once the pricing has hopefully settled and deals appear as I really wanted a X570 Steel Legend but can't justify spending over 250 on a board.

Soldato
Cheers. Looks like either the Taichi ultimate or GB Gaming 7. Not sure which one I would get though, guess I cant go wrong with either.
Quick note: it says "Taichi [Ulimate]", which means it's talking about both the Taichi and Taichi Ultimate. There is very little difference between the boards: if you don't need 10 GbE LAN or power/reset buttons, there's no reason to get the "Ultimate" version. The Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 is also a great board if you don't need 10 GbE.

I honestly don't think we are going to see much in terms of OC since PBO already handles it well and likely on already when they did the comparison.
Indeed. A good cooler should squeeze an extra 100-200 MHz compared to stock but I don't expect much more. What I'm most curious about is how far the R7 3700X will clock on all cores compared to the R7 3800X, and whether this will require manual overclocking or if we can just enable "ignore TDP when boosting" or something.

Associate
So glad I decided to purchase a B450 board. I will probably upgrade to an X570 board once the pricing has hopefully settled and deals appear as I really wanted a X570 Steel Legend but can't justify spending over 250 on a board.

This is the thing I'm not understanding... B450 is still pretty new, supports the later chips (for the most part, minus 16 core), so surely buying 2 motherboards in a short time period is false economy? Then again, I suppose this is an enthusiast forum and some of you fockers have money to burn lol.

Associate
Really anyone reading this would think x570 had the feel of earlier unfinished AMD platforms ...

In first iteration memory not working properly, memory compatibility terrible, vrms often of sub standard, paper feel of thin pcbs, not all ofcourse but many took bios revision after revision after revision or even hardware revision....

Now all X570 I tried run 4266 mems, some 4800 stable.. They are running 4x8 or 4x16 3600. Solid vrm. Premium look and feel, not like a sheet of A4.... No one is commenting on the new found quality for an AMD user...

They are commenting that they are expected to pay for this quality....

If this was an Intel X platform no way do people kick off so hard for obvious leaps forward in quality across the range.

3600 or 3600x plug and play in old boards even b450 works fine.

I had R7 1700+C6H on pre-order at launch. At that time there was very little tuning/tweaking features, from posts by The Stilt, Elmor and Raja@ASUS it was clear AMD had launched prior to reaching a "ripe" state. Even though the ASUS UEFI had RAM timings section it did not function, as AMD FW was locking out vendors from changes, Elmor explained this.

Within a month or two we had flood of options to aid tuning/tweaking. Between all these options appearing and launch, The Stilt had posted whenever anyone queried aspect of RAM speed that we probably have not yet seen the limit of IMC, once all the options were there, was when he started sharing his take was 3466MHz was about the max decent 1xxx series would do where high stability was needed.

Fast forward to when I go ZE at launch and it was clear Threadripper benefited from delayed launch. All the UEFI options were there, if I wanted to tinker with RAM and or CPU PState I could. So IMO all the info The Stilt, Elmor and Raja@ASUS had stated in the C6H thread at launch, stating platform was not really ready for launch and needed 3-6mths "baking" was correct.

When I got 2700X+C7H at launch, I really had no doubts that I'd see vast differences/gains over UEFI releases, as pretty much now Zen/+ was "baked and ready to go".

As far as I know, even now AMD do not allow mobo makers to tinker with CPU IMC FW like they can with Intel. I have compared sections of AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3 relating to this. The Stilt highlighted this issue while back, link. Another tid bit from The Stilt was the reason on Ryzen we can't change RAM timings in OS like on Intel, is as AMD locks this out, only at POST can RAM timings be applied. So I really think mobo vendors are more so just mopping up issues with their side of UEFI and integration with AGESA, rather than tuning AMD FW as they would for Intel board, as they are locked out.

I do believe the ease at which you are seeing RAM hit the speeds it is and compatibility is more down to 3xxx CPU IMC than X570 being higher quality vs X470/X370, leading to improved RAM MHz/compatibility. Caveat being the more top end speed maybe aided by say 8 layer PCB/improved tracing, etc. Again though the 8 layers is only on higher end X570, I saw a site have info where it showed only 2 of the Gigabyte boards having 8 and rest are 6. So I would expect a decent X470/X370, for example 6 layer PCB to hit very similar RAM speeds as X570. Especially as AMD will have control on aspect of FW relating to CPU IMC.

This post is not meant to detract value from your shares, nor to discredit your take, more so just what my take was.

Associate
This is the thing I'm not understanding... B450 is still pretty new, supports the later chips (for the most part, minus 16 core), so surely buying 2 motherboards in a short time period is false economy? Then again, I suppose this is an enthusiast forum and some of you fockers have money to burn lol.

The board cost me £120 and in all likelyhood, I'll be using it as a basis for my nephews next PC. By that time lets say the board goes down in value by £30. So essentially it's cost me £30 for one years use.
In the same timeframe if I'm lucky the X570 boards will have lowered by more than that.

Soldato
I had R7 1700+C6H on pre-order at launch. At that time there was very little tuning/tweaking features, from posts by The Stilt, Elmor and Raja@ASUS it was clear AMD had launched prior to reaching a "ripe" state. Even though the ASUS UEFI had RAM timings section it did not function, as AMD FW was locking out vendors from changes, Elmor explained this.

Within a month or two we had flood of options to aid tuning/tweaking. Between all these options appearing and launch, The Stilt had posted whenever anyone queried aspect of RAM speed that we probably have not yet seen the limit of IMC, once all the options were there, was when he started sharing his take was 3466MHz was about the max decent 1xxx series would do where high stability was needed..

How fun and interesting was the first few months of Ryzen though. I was having a great time tinkering and discussing it all over at OCN as things improved and came to light.

Caporegime
Ouch! No way is ASrock going to be able to charge £370 for a mid/high end board. Just no.

h8720sw05s631.png

So £180 is the cheapest ASRock X570, not a bad looking board tho... VRM looks beefy.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming X/index.asp

DZApjFb.png

Associate
I might end up just buying a Crosshair VII at this rate.
Wish I'd bought a Crosshair VI day one tbh.

The motherboard prices will surely dampen the launch.

C6H was sound buy then, even with 2xxx it was solid for me. If I was honest I have my eye on a C6H I plan to buy around 15/16th of this month. I plan to buy open box, so should come in ~£100 if what I hope occurs and it's still there to buy.

I plan to test with 3xxx and then compare same CPU on C7H. I'm hoping like when I did this same test with 2700X I have same CPU MHz and performance. Plus that the T-Topology allows for tuning room on 4 dimms vs the daisy chain. When I mean tuning not that I saw difference on RAM MHz/timings, but I had more "manoeuvrability" on settings like ProcODT, RTT, CAD Bus. The C7H daisy chain didn't allow many changes to these settings without throwing a spat when on 4 dimms.

One reason besides others I wanna get the 3xxx, it has a menu which has not been shown on 1xxx/2xxx on AM4, but is on Threadripper. PMU Training menu aka IMC, link.

As long as C6H has all the menus I want and performs as I expect, I plan on selling off the C7H.

Soldato
Mobo prices are actually insane. £100's of pounds more, Double the price of previous gen in some instances!!
But we are told they have a thicker PCB so it's OK. :rolleyes: How much does 1 gram more of copper and 40ml of fibreglass resin cost? 10p i'll bet.

Soldato
Any requests for benchmarks I should do with my fully-patched, fully-microcode-updated, fully-mitigation-enabled X5675 and then re-do on Ryzen 3? :D

So far on my list to do:
- x265
- Cinebench R20
- Boot time (46s, lol)
- Far Cry 5 benchmark
- Overwatch frame time analysis (if I can get it consistent)

Back
Top Bottom