• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Anyone know where I can get a i7-4790K used /refurbished for £100? Or is that a bit optimistic? I'm considering an upgrade from an i5 4440. Thought it would be a cheaper upgrade than spending ~ £300-£400 on new motherboard, Ryzen processor and RAM.

Not seen any go that low but CEX have the 4770k for £110. I imagine Ebay will be flooded with 4790's over the next couple of weeks as people like myself who have been waiting for Ryzen 3000 upgrade.

Associate
Looks like that boost issue was much ado about nothing.

Terns42.png
D-6g4r8U8AACahr.jpg:large

That should more or less settle it. These chips don’t have headroom. I’m sure bios and game engine optimizations will help overall performance but there won’t be some secret sauce to big OC gains on core speed.

I’d still recommend a 3900x to someone over a 9900k because I do think it’ll come into its own in a couple of years as next gen consoles arrive.

Until then the 9900k will not just be faster but consistent from game to game. The consistency is an area where AMD need to improve on for sure.

There is an issue, but the Spanish guy is saying the clocks are only hitting max single threaded boost on 2 cores full stop with the wrong bios, its not that they arent doing 4.6 on all cores simultaneously. If you see the hwinfo shots in the review you can see the max clocks only on core 0 and 1 and even then not at full boost, followed by regressing the bios and then the max for all cores surpassing 4.6 in hwinfo.

Ie when boosting on the 2700x it will hit 4350 ish with Pbo single core and that will cycle across all cores as required. So pretty quickly you'll see 4349 having reached max on all cores on hwinfo.

If the reviews used the wrong bios , they'd still be hamstrung by single core boost not hitting the top speed if the threads fell outside cores 0/1 ( or potentially similar issues with dual thread / quad thread etc etc boost not hitting max if outside 0 and 1 etc )

https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...w-english-dethroning-the-intel-core-i9-9900k/

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know where I can get a i7-4790K used /refurbished for £100? Or is that a bit optimistic? I'm considering an upgrade from an i5 4440. Thought it would be a cheaper upgrade than spending ~ £300-£400 on new motherboard, Ryzen processor and RAM.
Can't name the place because of being a competitor, but they are selling for £170 *** elsewhere *** :(

- No competitor Hinting - Armageus

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
That is interesting given that they are probably the most important aspects for performance given its well known the OS and Chipset drivers contain Zen 2 game performance optimizations, no one disclosed any of that.

Bear in mind that's also just for the new Ryzen chips.

For the comparison chips, it's a NO across the board on a lot of important stuff.

It was expected, but most of these sites are NOT testing the Intel chips with the latest security mitigations. That's why half of them aren't even listing the platforms that the other chips are tested on.

I know Gamer Nexus & a few other YTers, and PCWorld are exceptions. But the ones listed here ....?

TechPowerUp are probably the worst ... they dump years old results into the spreadsheet and produce graphs.

Associate
There is an issue, but the Spanish guy is saying the clocks are only hitting max single threaded boost on 2 cores full stop with the wrong bios, its not that they arent doing 4.6 on all cores simultaneously. If you see the hwinfo shots in the review you can see the max clocks only on core 0 and 1 and even then not at full boost, followed by regressing the bios and then the max for all cores surpassing 4.6 in hwinfo.

Ie when boosting on the 2700x it will hit 4350 ish with Pbo single core and that will cycle across all cores as required. So pretty quickly you'll see 4349 having reached max on all cores on hwinfo.

If the reviews used the wrong bios , they'd still be hamstrung by single core boost not hitting the top speed if the threads fell outside cores 0/1

https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...w-english-dethroning-the-intel-core-i9-9900k/

I'm sure that can be the case here and there but let's see what we get from guys like gamersnexus, hardware unboxed over the next couple of days. Ultimately this is an AMD created mess and if it's a rampant issue, they need to come out and provide details.

Soldato
Do you think it's worthwhile upgrading to a 3700x/3800x from a 2700x for gaming purposes?

I guess if I can sell the 2700x it's not that bit a hit cash wise.
I've gone from 2700x to 3900x, in gaming @ 1440 I'm not sure I'll notice a big difference, maybe <10 FPS.

But video rendering and editing is also a hobby of mine so the 3900x will be a massive boost over the 2700x.

Associate
The 3800X will be a better chip and for £60 more it'd be the one I'd go for. 100MHz (at least) can be a lot with Ryzen, but also for the general quality/efficiency I would consider worth it.
However, I would partially reserve my opinion until the reviews.

This is what I'm hoping, reviews will tell as you say!

Associate
Has any reviewer done undervolting testing yet?
Same question. And BCLK overclock while at it.

Reviews leave too many open questions. Every review feels rushed, nobody took time to figure out the reasons for encountered unusual behaviour.
Overall, the 200MHz boost clock advantage of 3900X over 3700X is barely noticeable. Something fishy there

Soldato

Reviews leave too many open questions. Every review feels rushed, nobody took time to figure out the reasons for encountered unusual behaviour.
Overall, the 200MHz boost clock advantage of 3900X over 3700X is barely noticeable. Something fishy there
To be fair, reviewers weren't given extra time despite the fact that (a) Navi and Zen 2 were launching on the same day, and (b) retail parts have been available for a long time. I think we'll get a lot more information over the coming week as people start to get chips in hand.

Associate
Zen 2 is looking very good. I just got a cracking deal on a 9700K last night to replace my 9600K in my gaming machine (effectively only £50 to upgrade). I will look to upgrade my AMD system mobo and CPU to Zen 2 at a later date.

Permabanned

Because most games wont use the boost clock, they all tend to settle at an all core clock. imo boost clocks are almost irrelevant in gaming from what I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom