Windows 10

Soldato
I was messing around with some Linux stuff today (GTK style save file box for instance which somehow feels like you have one hand tied behind your back when using it) and it reminded me of your post and reminded me of one of the reason why I'm still on 7 (and that includes why I'm not on 10 where I can use 7) - with 7 very rarely does the OS get in my way and it is generally intuitive.

To be honest you could argue it's a preference thing when it comes to OS, I find ALL Windows OS simple and no bother using them, if I'm honest WinXP and 7 gave me more issues with updates then any other OS I can name , ironically Vista and 8/8.1 I had no issues with, the 1903 final build installed fine today for me on Win10 (only a hour ago). I still argue the sooner 7 goes the better, it's a very ageing OS that has had a very good run (lifespan wise) and resources can be spent better on other operating Systems ie 8.1/10 and other Windows software. As to Linux, nobody would argue you have loads to choose from and learning curve is higher then Windows, but it is getting better all the time. I still love Linux very much and if Linux had the same official gaming support as Windows OS I would have jumped ship away from Microsoft OS many years ago.

Linux updates in my experience rarely have issues and some people could argue that Linux updates better then Windows in general ie smoother. Sooner or later Win7 will be dead and buried this is a fact,as to Win10 well that will probably go as well or keep being updated with new builds to a point that it is no longer like the original OS, also possible Microsoft could bring out a new OS down the road and phase out 10, again we have to get use to that possibility , one thing that always happen is Operating Systems come and go and things change.

Win10 has been good to me just like my Linux PC so I have nothing to complain about :) . However I'm always ready for the next OS regardless of time.

I do have one idea, Microsoft could kill Win7 now and spend all their extra resources on Win10 updates testing, that would be a wiser move IMHO and stop some of the complaints.

For the record I don't hate Win7 , but think it's about time it was phased out.

:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To be honest you could argue it's a preference thing when it comes to OS, I find ALL Windows OS simple and no bother using them, if I'm honest WinXP and 7 gave me more issues with updates then any other OS I can name , ironically Vista and 8/8.1 I had no issues with, the 1903 final build installed fine today for me on Win10 (only a hour ago). I still argue the sooner 7 goes the better, it's a very ageing OS that has had a very good run (lifespan wise) and resources can be spent better on other operating Systems ie 8.1/10 and other Windows software. As to Linux, nobody would argue you have loads to choose from and learning curve is higher then Windows, but it is getting better all the time. I still love Linux very much and if Linux had the same official gaming support as Windows OS I would have jumped ship away from Microsoft OS many years ago.

Linux updates in my experience rarely have issues and some people could argue that Linux updates better then Windows in general ie smoother. Sooner or later Win7 will be dead and buried this is a fact,as to Win10 well that will probably go as well or keep being updated with new builds to a point that it is no longer like the original OS, also possible Microsoft could bring out a new OS down the road and phase out 10, again we have to get use to that possibility , one thing that always happen is Operating Systems come and go and things change.

Win10 has been good to me just like my Linux PC so I have nothing to complain about :) . However I'm always ready for the next OS regardless of time.

I do have one idea, Microsoft could kill Win7 now and spend all their extra resources on Win10 updates testing, that would be a wiser move IMHO and stop some of the complaints.

For the record I don't hate Win7 , but think it's about time it was phased out.

Some aspects of an OS are always going to be subjective - some people hate the start menu and prefer either the full screen menu of 8 or being able to quickly type to search for what they want.

Something I've always maintained though it isn't that I found previous OSes trouble free for updates, etc. but that the same problems exist over most released of Windows to greater or lesser degree what makes the difference is the approach the OS uses to manage them and 10 is terrible for that - you couldn't even properly pause (once it started update processes) or force it to re-try a stuck update previous to 1903 and even in 1903 it is a horrid implementation of what should be a fundamental and basic feature.

Linux has its place and some variations are better than others but I was using an older version of GTK with the quite clunky file load/save dialogues and it reminded me of why I like 7 as you almost never encounter stuff like that in normal usage and it almost feels transparent between the user and what they are trying to do - atleast for me personally.

Windows 10 needs more than just spending more resources on it they need to actually listen to the users - trying new stuff is fine and all but too often no one actually wants, never asked for and never needed 60% of the new features and some of them might sound great on paper but will never be convenient enough to be taken up by the masses while attention isn't being paid to the stuff people are complaining about.

Soldato
Windows 10 needs more than just spending more resources on it they need to actually listen to the users - trying new stuff is fine and all but too often no one actually wants, never asked for and never needed 60% of the new features and some of them might sound great on paper but will never be convenient enough to be taken up by the masses while attention isn't being paid to the stuff people are complaining about.

Problem is every person has different needs, preference, opinions and different environments ie home, business etc, let alone those that want more manual control and others that like it auto and easy, so you will never get a happy medium, take me for example all I require is a stable OS (even with my overclocks) and runs all my games and software which is does, Windows ( any version) has never been hard or awkward in layout for me. As to new stuff/features, there is always things I don't need and I can go right back to every version of Windows since the beginning and state that.

Btw I remember when I was very happy with DOS 6.22 ( fitted on three floppies) and hated Windows back then (I have happy memories with DOS 6.22, rearranging IRQs and memory etc lol, times have certainly moved on since then). End of the day we all have different preferences/needs and what is right for us etc...

V F

V F

Soldato
Oh really?

I asked my friend who teach computer programming in school if he cant boot into safe mode and is there other way to boot into safe mode but he said the only way is to reinstall Windows 10 via DVD, USB or Refresh to repair broken Windows installation. He will be very interesting to know what is other solutions you encountered in other day to boot into safe mode that was broken and corrupted.

Same as @PiKe "command prompt recovery environment" when booting from a Windows 10 USB.

Somehow Windows 10 nuked its BCD when I pulled the ethernet after changing some update bandwidth options and it decided to start checking for updates on its own. Nothing else was changed or altered.

Man of Honour
Only today I fixed an issue in command prompt recovery environment.

Reinstalling windows because you can't boot into safe mode is very much like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

Yeah experienced users will know how to do things like check and repair/replace system files and settings and edit/disable startup items, fix file system errors, even manually rollback drivers, etc. if it comes to it.

Problem is every person has different needs, preference, opinions and different environments ie home, business etc, let alone those that want more manual control and others that like it auto and easy, so you will never get a happy medium, take me for example all I require is a stable OS (even with my overclocks) and runs all my games and software which is does, Windows ( any version) has never been hard or awkward in layout for me. As to new stuff/features, there is always things I don't need and I can go right back to every version of Windows since the beginning and state that.

Btw I remember when I was very happy with DOS 6.22 ( fitted on three floppies) and hated Windows back then (I have happy memories with DOS 6.22, rearranging IRQs and memory etc lol, times have certainly moved on since then). End of the day we all have different preferences/needs and what is right for us etc...

There is no reason though why a lot of those things can't be implemented to support varied user types - for instance having a fully automatic and curated update system doesn't preclude having advanced options that allow a user to take manual control - that is basically how every modern OS other than Windows 10 does it for a reason - and many of them still manage to be more secure than 10 because they actually handle security updates properly.

Same as it is perfectly possible to include all 3 main approaches to program launching without compromise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah experienced users will know how to do things like check and repair/replace system files and settings and edit/disable startup items, fix file system errors, even manually rollback drivers, etc. if it comes to it.

There is no reason though why a lot of those things can't be implemented to support varied user types - for instance having a fully automatic and curated update system doesn't preclude having advanced options that allow a user to take manual control - that is basically how every modern OS other than Windows 10 does it for a reason - and many of them still manage to be more secure than 10 because they actually handle security updates properly.

Same as it is perfectly possible to include all 3 main approaches to program launching without compromise.

I guess size and bloatware are some reasons why they don't include everything, plus it would need more testing the more features you add. Some users don't like too many options, others prefer it simple and a lean OS, end of the day there will always be some compromise to some one.

Soldato
Windows 10 continues to be a danger zone. Not only have problems been piling up in recent weeks, Microsoft has also been worryingly deceptive about the operation of key services. And now the company has warned millions about another problem.

Spotted by the always excellent Windows Latest, Microsoft has told tens of millions of Windows 10 users that the latest KB4501375 update may break the platform’s Remote Access Connection Manager (RASMAN). And this can have serious repercussions.

The big one is VPNs. RASMAN handles how Windows 10 connects to the internet and it is a core background task for VPN services to function normally. Given the astonishing growth in VPN usage for everything from online privacy and important work tasks to unlocking Netflix and YouTube libraries, this has the potential to impact heavily on how you use your computer.

Interestingly, in detailing the issue Microsoft states that it only affects Windows 10 1903 - the latest version of the platform. The problem is Windows 10 1903 accounts for a conservative total of at least 50M users.

Why conservative? Because Microsoft states Windows 10 has been installed on 800M computers worldwide, but that figure is four months old. Meanwhile, the ever-reliable AdDuplex reports Windows 10 1903 accounted for 6.3% of all Windows 10 computers in June (50.4M), but that percentage was achieved in just over a month and their report is 10 days old. Microsoft has listed a complex workaround, but no timeframe has been announced for an actual fix.

In the meantime, Microsoft is stepping up its attempts to push Windows 7 users to Windows 10. Those users must be looking at Windows 10 right now and thinking they will resist to the very end.
Microsoft Issues Warning For 50M Windows 10 Users - Forbes

Man of Honour
^^ They seriously need to give the Windows 10 development team a shake up :s

And I'd better not start getting popups I can't prevent recommending upgrades to Windows 10...

Man of Honour
and there was me thinking of doing another rig with 10 on it, i'll pass :p

If they want to do a Windows as a service model I dunno why they don't take a page out of something like RISC OS's book and have a barebones "ROM" core OS and bootstrap applications and OS features with a default environment suited to the different models of user and give the user full control of what they do and don't need - also makes it really easy to recover from due to user error, malware, etc. at this point if given the option of I had to use one or the other I'd take a 30 year old version of RISC OS over Windows 10!

Associate
Log out of the store and then back in again?? But it's a probably a conspiracy to make you sign in to windows with your full Microsoft account. :p
Unfortunately it isn't as I've been getting that message on a computer that is on a windows 10 install that is connected to a microsoft account with multiple variations on that theme until that notification popped up today.

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Recently went from 7 to 10 (again) and for the most part it seems to be fine, however, does anyone else get a very slow start once into the desktop? I have to wait a good couple of minutes before the system becomes snappy and responsive (well, usable at all).

34ys0nm.png

I'm on the latest update. I wonder if it's all to do with the bloat that comes with this OS?

Soldato
Recently went from 7 to 10 (again) and for the most part it seems to be fine, however, does anyone else get a very slow start once into the desktop? I have to wait a good couple of minutes before the system becomes snappy and responsive (well, usable at all).

34ys0nm.png

I'm on the latest update. I wonder if it's all to do with the bloat that comes with this OS?

On my desktop and 5 devices all on 1903 took 1 second to load Settings.

Try open defrag app and optimise your SSD.

V F

V F

Soldato

Have you done sfc /scannow to see if anything is corrected after the update?

Soldato
I thought defragging an SSD wasn't supposed to be advisable? Do you have a link for that app or is it located in the Win 10 settings? Ta. :)

It wont defragging an SSD, actually it will trimming an SSD. If it detected HDD then it will performed defragging operation.

Here are 2 ways to open defrag app:

1. Click Search button next to Start button and type in defrag, you will see app called Defragment and Optimise Drives then click to open app.
2. Open File Explorer, right click on any local drive and click on properties, click on tools tab and click on Optimise button.

Caporegime
It wont defragging an SSD, actually it will trimming an SSD. If it detected HDD then it will performed defragging operation.

Here are 2 ways to open defrag app:

1. Click Search button next to Start button and type in defrag, you will see app called Defragment and Optimise Drives then click to open app.
2. Open File Explorer, right click on any local drive and click on properties, click on tools tab and click on Optimise button.

Thanks, just looked into this and I think my drives are automatically optimized on a weekly basis anyway. Maybe it's something that will ease over time/with future updates. Cheers for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom