Windows 10

Man of Honour
Gaming problems never go away for some people, all I can say is Win10 has been fine for me in gaming with regards to sound etc, problem with gaming is there will always be problems with some gamers, these sort of things are hard to fix, because you can't get every gamer with 100% stability with no issues. I would be lying if I said I never had any gaming/audio issues on any of my Windows Operating Systems I have owned. There still a bug sometimes in Mass Effect 3 multi-play where audio goes silent, do I blame Windows, drivers or the game? (game IMHO)..Point is there are bugs in everything ie games,OS,drivers etc ,that's why you get new updated drivers for bugs fixes and improvements, same goes for Windows updates, but you will never catch them all or new ones will appear, as you are aware even with new updates it can break something old.

End of the day not much you can do apart from report your valid issues you to have to Microsoft and hope for the best ie possible fix or solution (yes I know I keep saying that). Just remember no OS is perfect just like users ie some will have issues regardless of right or wrong.

Btw latency issues are nothing new, remember the old USB latency issues? I do. You can bet some new issue will pop up down the road.

We can all moan and bitch about it, but only Microsoft can fix them. Be patient and hope for the best is all you can do (apart from reporting it that I'm sure you have).

Right I 'm off to game online :) .

My point is these issues are not new and seemingly not getting any better and often crop up for people after a Windows update - so the approach to updates in 10 just makes these issues more frustrating.

Soldato
My point is these issues are not new and seemingly not getting any better and often crop up for people after a Windows update - so the approach to updates in 10 just makes these issues more frustrating.

To be fair I only ever had one WU issue with Win10, you remember the activating message issue owners had after the WU awhile back?..Yes it was fixed shortly after, but that is really the only WU issue I've had with 10, in general I would not say it is any worst then previous Windows. For the record I'm not saying you don't have issues since every user will have different experiences but for me it's been very good, I think ironically only Vista and 8/8.1 I had zero issues with regards to WU so what does that say.

Frustration I can understand something you have to live with , with regards to computers and OS etc....

:)

Soldato
I can only agree with this.

Every so often, Windows Update will try and let slip through a "feature update", to upgrade me from 1709 to 1803, 1809 or 1903. I then have to wipe the downloaded files and block the update. Each time I do this, I feel as though I am risking my system by making changes to it that I shouldn't normally have to make.

For me, audio was a large part of why I didn't upgrade to 1809, as the drivers had problems. Then the drivers stopped working for users with 1903, until Creative released updated drivers. Now there are audio latency issues that may or may not affect me.

So, do I stick with what I know works but potentially exposes me to security risks, or do I just put up with a poor operating system that seems to be cobbled and cemented together?

In the meantime, I am able to install Servicing Stack Updates and Cumulative Updates manually. Even though it takes a little of my time to do, I actually like doing it this way as I completely control exactly when updates are installed.

V F

V F

Soldato
I can only agree with this.

Every so often, Windows Update will try and let slip through a "feature update", to upgrade me from 1709 to 1803, 1809 or 1903. I then have to wipe the downloaded files and block the update. Each time I do this, I feel as though I am risking my system by making changes to it that I shouldn't normally have to make.

For me, audio was a large part of why I didn't upgrade to 1809, as the drivers had problems. Then the drivers stopped working for users with 1903, until Creative released updated drivers. Now there are audio latency issues that may or may not affect me.

So, do I stick with what I know works but potentially exposes me to security risks, or do I just put up with a poor operating system that seems to be cobbled and cemented together?

In the meantime, I am able to install Servicing Stack Updates and Cumulative Updates manually. Even though it takes a little of my time to do, I actually like doing it this way as I completely control exactly when updates are installed.

It's a shame they killed the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude with 1903. Sure it can still work but you have to disable driver signing and a few other tricks. At least the Audigy 2 ZS works if you install the Audigy4 RX driver (2018) with the remains of the DanielK pack without any security disabling. Quite impressive considering that card is from 2003.

Man of Honour
To be fair I only ever had one WU issue with Win10, you remember the activating message issue owners had after the WU awhile back?..Yes it was fixed shortly after, but that is really the only WU issue I've had with 10, in general I would not say it is any worst then previous Windows. For the record I'm not saying you don't have issues since every user will have different experiences but for me it's been very good, I think ironically only Vista and 8/8.1 I had zero issues with regards to WU so what does that say.

Frustration I can understand something you have to live with , with regards to computers and OS etc....

:)

Yeah but there are different levels of frustration - it isn't a binary thing.

Soldato
It's a shame they killed the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude with 1903. Sure it can still work but you have to disable driver signing and a few other tricks. At least the Audigy 2 ZS works if you install the Audigy4 RX driver (2018) with the remains of the DanielK pack without any security disabling. Quite impressive considering that card is from 2003.

I'm very happy I ditched Creative long time ago, their drivers have never been great, still using my ASUS Xonar DX card, it's rock solid as always, my next new motherboard I probably use the built in sound and retire my Xonar to one of my backup PCs :) . I still have an Audigy 4 somewhere :) .

Anyway drivers never been an issue for me with Win10.

Caporegime
Bit of a blast from the past; I remember the Audigy 2 ZS and Auzentech sound cards (can't remember if mine was the same model mentioned further up). :)

Might even purchase a sound card again when doing my new build.

Soldato
Well, of course not. You're not using the specific hardware that's getting phased out.

I meant in general, obviously hardware only gets supported for so long, however some manufacturers have better driver support then others ie longer lifespan, updated more often.

V F

V F

Soldato
I meant in general, obviously hardware only gets supported for so long, however some manufacturers have better driver support then others ie longer lifespan, updated more often.

I've been reading the AE-5 is getting the short end of the stick these days due to the AE-7 and 9. Seems to be after 2 years Creative phases it out slowly. Likely one of the main reasons I'll have to go external that doesn't require drivers.

Soldato
Once again Windows Update is trying to force 1803 on my system, calling it "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-07C". Thanks for asking if I wanted to install it first. :rolleyes:

V F

V F

Soldato
Once again Windows Update is trying to force 1803 on my system, calling it "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-07C". Thanks for asking if I wanted to install it first. :rolleyes:

You could have used Shutup10 or delayed it for 365 days. Assuming you're on Pro, where Shutup10 will block it permanently but 1809 is pretty solid.

Soldato
You could have used Shutup10 or delayed it for 365 days. Assuming you're on Pro, where Shutup10 will block it permanently but 1809 is pretty solid.
Neither of these work any more, as I am beyond the 365 days.

It seems that I will be installing 1903, whether I like it or not. Time will tell if I've made the right decision or not, but I will be using Macrium to take a full image of my system first.

Soldato
Basically due to the past ill support for my Creative sound card and the current ongoing latency issues.

Creative released new X-Fi Titanium driver XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019.exe for 1803 and above on 24 June 2019.

https://support.creative.com/Produc...SET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_17927,VARSET=CategoryID:1

I checked SoundBlasterOfficial on reddit that new driver worked fine with 1903 update for X-Fi Titanium owners but there are no reports of latency issues with 1903.

Maybe try reset X-Fi Titanium driver tab to default and update your LAN and wifi drivers will fix latency issues.

Soldato
Well I am running 1903. I don't quite know what happened last night, but I started Windows in safe mode and it refused to boot into normal mode. Looking around online I tried entering safe mode with command prompt and it refused to budge from that. I have absolutely no idea how or why this happened, but it was annoying.

Windows 10 1903 is now installed and all does indeed seem to be running as is. I will try some games later to see if I suffer from this latency issue. It doesn't matter if I do or not, because I am lumped with 1903 whether I like it or not. Thanks a bunch, Microsoft.

Man of Honour
I've still never had a single issue with Windows 10 but then I guess people don't post if everything is fine.

It is frustrating in a way how varied the experience is in that regard - my dad over 3 systems - Q6600, i5 laptop and AMD 2600 has had no post-update issues and it almost always updates as quick as anyone gets Windows update and his system is pretty cluttered so in theory should be bad for that kind of stuff. He has atleast 3x fallen foul of the updates process itself though - twice it has launched into updates at a bad time and once he could no longer defer updates while on a limited bandwidth, costly, connection and not using the system wasn't an option.

Personally I seem to inevitably fall foul of every issue coming :( so the need to manage updates manually is pressing. If I didn't do so much gaming and use so many applications where using another OS just isn't viable I'd move onto something else rather than Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom