Windows 10

Man of Honour
My neighbours out having a party in their garden with the nice weather - must have been using a Windows 10 device for the music as from the sudden interruption, Windows notification sounds over the speakers and reaction from my neighbours looks like it decided to do updates LOL...

Soldato
Out of the blue my PC has decided not to shut down. Instead it just ends up on the logon screen, the PC itself not restarted (LED fans actually go off at the end of the shutdown. CBA with reinstalling right now so I've been sleeping it. The only change is removing a mechanical storage drive because it started ticking. Any ideas before a waste a day reinstalling everything?

Man of Honour
Try disabling fast start up, manually purge any hibernation file and reboot (using the reboot option not shutdown and power button) then re-enable fast start up.

Man of Honour
It is weird the difference between Windows Defender and Malware protection engine between 7 and 10 - AFAIK they are largely very similar in terms of protection yet on 7 updating takes ~1% CPU with a couple of flutters to 14% and rarely does much in the background with a few bursts to around 7% now and again in response to doing stuff with files, etc. Windows 10 updating it often sits there using 20% CPU, etc. and will frequently ramp up to 40-70%, if it thinks the system is idle/and or whenever it feels like it will sit there using 20-40% for 30-40 minutes at a time not infrequently, etc. - complete clown show at MS.

Back
Top Bottom